Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Wanted: Hecklers

Wanted: Hecklers

By: Ardis E. Parshall - August 03, 2011

Hey, if you’re in northern Utah with nothing better to do this Friday night (August 5), come hear me speak at Sunstone’s “Pillars of My Faith” session at 7:30, at the Shepherd Student Union Building, Weber State University (3848 Harrison Boulevard, Ogden, Utah).

I’m still writing, revising, discarding, and rewriting my talk at this point – it isn’t easy, despite the exhibitionist practice I’ve gained from blogging – to imagine speaking of the most cherished thoughts and events of my life before a room full of strangers, but I’ll try.

If nothing else, I promise to reveal the never-before-disclosed criminal origins of my conscious life. Now if that ain’t a hook, I don’t know what is!

1. I can’t heckle you in person this Friday, but I can heckle you here and now.

I mean, if today is August 3, how can you speak on “Friday night (August 3)”? I knew that Utah was backward, but had no idea that it actually ran two days behind the rest of the country. :)

And, in your “Notes from the Field” the link to the story of the poor confused soul in Pleasant Grove (Obeying the law of chastity has its unexpected benefits), you unfairly suggest that every man who goes into the wrong house and bed by mistake is intending to break the law of chastity. In hundreds of tacky subdivisions around the country, it’s a mistake that any man, out late slaving away to put food on the family table, could make.

“Hey, dear, I like this new nightie. Where’d you get it?”

Comment by Mark B. — August 3, 2011 @ 10:33 am

2. Wish you luck. I’ll probably be at an airport then, but I’ll think of you.

Comment by Stephen M (Ethesis) — August 3, 2011 @ 10:36 am

3. I wish I always got what I asked for so promptly, Mark! (Thanks — I’ve corrected the post. I gave fair warning to Steve the other day that I was running so far behind that I’d probably show up to speak a couple of days late. I didn’t warn him, though, that I’d be trying to scare up an audience for that date.)

Thanks, Stephen.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 3, 2011 @ 11:02 am

4. Darn, I’d love to come heckle in person, but alas, Redmond is a bit far from my old alma mater. I graduated from Weber State in one of the last few years when it was still a college. I’m sure you will do well.

But if you truly want heckling, you should post your talk here over the weekend, and I’m sure any number of us would be glad to oblige. And juicy criminal behavior, to boot! We are expecting something of historical proportions. What did you do, steal something out of the trash at the Church History Library?

Comment by kevinf — August 3, 2011 @ 11:27 am

5. Nashville is even further away than Redmond, so I won’t be making it either. Too bad. I was looking forward to a little juicy criminal tidbit. Anyway, good luck!

Comment by Bruce Crow — August 3, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

6. Catherine and I will be there, though likely with more praise than heckling. We’re really looking forward to it!

Comment by Ben Park — August 3, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

7. Darn! And I’m at Philmont ’til Saturday practicing my amateur historianism exploring the Santa Fe Trail (when I’m not getting my car stuck in literal ruts). I’ll just have to keep heckling digitally. Good luck anyway, Ardis!!

By the way, I might as well put a plug in here on this historian’s blog, but if you are ever in northeastern New Mexico, it it more than worth a stop at (or a destination in and of itself) the Philmont Museum which includes one of the best bookstores and libraries on Western Americana (and well, Boy Scouts) I’ve ever seen. And I just got back from taking a friend to Rayado, a wonderful, recreated and interpreted historical site of a home of Kit Carson, Stage stop and general store pre-railroad days. I would say post- Spanish/Mexican but those guys are still here too (and preceded us Anglos by a few centuries) What a great place! The Mormon hook (besides all the LDS Boy Scouts) is that one of the sick detachments from the Mormon Battalion passed through here Fall 1846 on their way to Pueblo, CO.

Comment by Grant — August 3, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

8. I won’t be there, but you will provide a transcript here, won’t you?

Nod ‘yes.’

Comment by David Y. — August 3, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

9. I would come…but even I have standards.

Comment by Chris H. — August 3, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

10. I would love to go but I’ll be out of town on an amazing financial deal worth lots of dollars. I’m traveling to New York to meet a certain “business man” who has gauranteed to make me a dollar for every …

Comment by Jpaul — August 3, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

11. First time I’ll miss SS in about 8 years, and boy do I regret it! Good luck, I can’t wait to hear the Mp3.

Comment by andrew h — August 3, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

12. Ardis, I’ll be there IF you do the following exactly:

Make the last-minute plane and hotel reservations in my name using your money – ASAP. Send me an e-mail with the details.

I’ll see you there!

Comment by Ray — August 4, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

13. Any chance of a recording and/or a transcript? (Seems that it would be the proper thing for a historian to consider.)

Comment by middle-aged Mormon Man — August 4, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

14. Bummer, I’ll be there next week! Please provide a transcript as well as your assessment of how your talk was received.

Comment by Ellen — August 4, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

15. Add my voice to those clamoring for a transcript or at bare minimum a summary of your talk. I’m sure it was excellent.

Comment by Susan W H — August 5, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

16. The talk went okay, judging by the remarks of some listeners — including some Keepa lurkers; you know who you are! — who spoke to me afterward.

I’ll post the talk here on Sunday.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 5, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

17. Ardis is too modest. It was a home run. It was very moving, funny in parts, tragic in others, and ultimately inspiring.

Comment by Paul Reeve — August 6, 2011 @ 10:17 am

18. Sunday can’t come soon enough . . .

Comment by David Y. — August 6, 2011 @ 1:31 pm