Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1950

Latter-day Saint Images, 1950

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 25, 2011

A little nearer to our own time than most in this series, these photos show us a recognizably modern Church — the Primary is standing before the television cameras, the Baby Boom and America’s post-war prosperity are both well under way, and we could have had an entire post with nothing but pictures of the Primary Children’s Hospital under construction in 1950. But we’re still the same people we always were: see the Primaries and Sunday Schools and choruses and ward gatherings, and Latter-day Saints in a Europe beginning to recover from World War II.

Gallup, New Mexico
Southwest Indian Mission Primary

Vlaardingen, Holland
Primary

George Albert Smith,
Laying Cornerstone of New Primary Children’s Hospital

Pouring the Foundation of the New Primary Children’s Hospital

Van Hook, North Dakota
Indian Primary

Athol, Idaho

Wilshire Ward, California
Primary Flannelboard Storytelling

Goodward Gooding Ward, Blaine Stake (Idaho)

Temple View Ward (Salt Lake City), Utah

Primary Parade
Binghampton, Arizona

David O. McKay Inspecting Construction of New Primary Children’s Hospital

Baby Band
Boise 1st Ward, Idaho

Caseros Branch, Buenos Aires, Argentina

1. Ardis, another great set of photos. But I thought I knew a lot about Idaho and it took two atlases to find Athol (spelled with out the i). It is way up in the panhandle near Lake Pend Orielle, pop.692. On the other hand Goodward doesn’t show. I’m guessing the ward name is not related to a place. But I do know there is good fishing up in Blaine County.

Comment by CurtA — May 25, 2011 @ 8:36 am

2. That “i” sneaked in there without permission, Curt, and I’ve deleted it. Thanks for the alert. After Keepa has its winter campout at Gettysburg, we’ll head up to Blaine County for some fishing!

(For some reason your comments lately have been landing in the moderation queue, Curt. There may be some delay in posting them until I can figure out what’s happening. You certainly don’t need moderation!)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 25, 2011 @ 9:52 am

3. Loved the picture from Gallup. I was born in Gallup in 1952 so the picture is comtemporary to me. Gave many peenies to the LDS Childrens Hospital in my days.

Comment by Mex Davis — May 25, 2011 @ 10:26 am

4. The Primary Children’s Hospital: such memories. Mostly of those penny campaigns (wasn’t there one specifically tied to Valentine’s Day?). But it was also the scene of one chapter of childhood disillusionment, too. After so much ice cream propaganda, being served with jello after having my tonsils out was a rude awakening!

Comment by Mina — May 25, 2011 @ 10:51 am

5. Mex, I love my memories of birthday pennies and Primary banks. There’s nothing quite like it for our kids now, is there?

Mina, the major fundraising campaign (outside the giving of birthday pennies all year long) was traditionally held during the whole month of February, so there were probably lots and lots of hearts and Valentines over the years.

Did you ever get your post-tonsillectomy ice cream? (And did you want it?)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 25, 2011 @ 11:46 am

6. It was the principle, Ardis. The principle!

(I think I forgot about the ice cream when I got a horse model that I really wanted. “White Cloud” was my favorite for years.)

Comment by Mina — May 25, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

7. I remember being excited to be able to put birthday pennies into a cardboard replica of Primary Children’s Hospital.

Love the Baby Band.

Comment by Mommie Dearest — May 25, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

8. Another great post in one of my favorite series. Loved the bandalos and the bikes with faux-gas tanks.

Comment by Clark — May 26, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

9. Ardis— my mothers cousin recognizes his brother in the picture of the primary parade in Binghampton Arizona, a suburb of Tucson. His name is john post and is still alive.

Comment by john willis — June 4, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

10. He is the boy with the rifle third from the left.

Comment by john willis — June 4, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

11. Awesome, john!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 5, 2011 @ 12:40 am

12. How fun! Wish I knew the date on the Binghampton photo. I lived there during my pre-school years (early to mid 1940’s) and some of my friends were children of O.K.(“Bum”) Post..Marilyn and Danny. What great memories!!! My grandfather, George Clawson, was a teacher and Principal at Davidson School for many years.

Comment by Linda Lloyd Woods — June 8, 2011 @ 2:11 am

13. On the other hand Goodward doesn’t show.

The Blaine Stake had a Gooding Ward. Was it a typo?

Comment by Justin — June 8, 2011 @ 9:47 am

14. That’s a very strong likelihood, Justin, if my fingers got ahead of my brain expecting to type “Ward” as the next word. I may eventually be able to go back to the magazines and check my label, but in the meantime, your suggestion seems so likely that I’m going to edit the post.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 8, 2011 @ 10:21 am