Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1940

Latter-day Saint Images, 1940

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 13, 2011

Here is in part what we looked like as a people and what we were doing in 1940. You’ll  notice that  the choirs and Sunday Schools of Europe, which have always had such a strong showing in these posts, are missing — they are already absent from the church magazines this early in the war.

Salt River Indian Reservation, Arizona

Unidentified Ward

Wilshire Ward, Los Angeles Stake
Primary Festival

Bennion Ward, Utah
Primary Visits the Zoo

National City, California

1. I remember Primary birthday banks like that. The birthday child got to hold the bank while the piano played and we all went up and put our “loving pennies” into it for the Primary Children’s Hospital. My birthday was during August, the month off Primary during the summer, so I never go to hold it. I’m still not over that.

I love those great old church buildings! These are fun.

Comment by Carol — May 13, 2011 @ 8:08 am

2. I am impressed with those Primary boys from Tremonton who made the quilt for the hospital. Especially the ones wearing their bib overalls.

I was curious about McCalla, AL. That looks like a log cabin they are using for a meetinghouse, so I assumed it was out in the country somewhere. I did a quick lookup and found that it is between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, close to what is now the interstate. It might even be considered a suburb of Birmingham now.

Ardis, when I open my browser and see a post from you about latter-day images, I know it is going to be a good day. I enjoy these pictures.

Comment by Mark Brown — May 13, 2011 @ 8:32 am

3. Very cool. A little disappointed in the first picture though–when I first opened the site I thought it was a guy wearing a pith helmet in Equatorial Guinea or something. Arizona’s not quite as exciting. Dr.Young, I presume? I’ve never seen a date palm before, and hadn’t realized what the clusters of fruit looked like. Add that to my tally of Keepafacts.

Comment by Moniker Challenged — May 13, 2011 @ 10:00 am

4. Fun, as always. Seeing the date, I thought there was a chance that I might know someone in some of the pictures, but as near as I can tell, not the case. Either too soon or too late for family in some of the areas, or places we have no connection to. Obviously, it looks colder in Tabor, Lethbridge Stake, Alberta, than just about anywhere else.

Comment by kevinf — May 13, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

5. Wow. They used to have “date” projects? From the sound of things, the young men of the church don’t even know what a “date” is anymore.

Comment by MMM — May 13, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

6. Because of the intro, I was thinking WWII, and when I got to the picture of the Japanese RS in Hawaii, it made me sad. I wonder if a year later it even existed.

Comment by Jeannine — May 13, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

7. The Salt River Indian Reservation. That’s a few blocks from where I grew up. It was a dry, dusty, cotton-farming place with a lot of poverty until development brought some wealth into the community in the recent decade or two.

The original Mormon settlement in the area, Lehi, was also right up against the Reservation. You can read about some of the early dealings of the settlers with the Pima Indians in Daniel Webster Jones’ book Forty Years Among the Indians. The interactions were complicated.

Comment by Researcher — May 13, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

8. Woo hoo! One of my favorite series at Keepa. Haven’t read the comments but wanted to say that I loved these photos — also, a poignant comment about the absence of choirs and Sunday Schools in the lead up to WWII.

Comment by David Y. — May 13, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

9. I love the expression on the Lehi, Utah primary teacher’s face.

Also, I want MY stake to hold a kite festival. That sounds awesome.

Comment by Clark — May 17, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

10. Ardis, would it be possible to receive an emailed copy of the McCalla and Long Beach photos? My mother-in-law is from McCalla and would be just a few years olf in 1940. (Could it even be that she is the little toddler there? I don’t know!) and I live in L.B. We’re a large city with more than one stake, but I wonder if anyone would recognize anyone in it? If possible, thanks. If not, I’ll see if my mil’s eyes are good enough to see the little picture on the screen. :)

Comment by Tiffany — June 10, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

11. Sent. Let us know if she recognizes anybody (you don’t have to identify them to us, but it would just be nice to know if you found someone there).

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 10, 2011 @ 3:41 pm