Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “This Silly M-W-F Nonsense” : A Poll

“This Silly M-W-F Nonsense” : A Poll

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 09, 2011

That’s how Ellen describes Keepa’s current fiction-posting schedule. None of this exquisite development of anticipation for her! Instant gratification, baby!

I aim to please, but I also don’t want to lose people who read the fiction occasionally but would feel overwhelmed if a story or episode were posted every day.

So what do you think?

And of course if these options aren’t finely enough tuned to express your precise views of this urgent matter, the comments are open for detailed explanations (demands, bribes, etc.).

1. Keepa posts fiction?

Comment by kevinf — May 9, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

2. Zing! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 9, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

3. Sorry, Ardis, but I don’t often read those (a choice regarding how much time at work I can read blogs). They are not a distraction or annoying or anything, just something I don’t read. Keep posting them for the folks who like them.

On the other hand, the idea of a “History” blog posting fiction just sounded fun to me. Maybe the response should have been “Really? Which ones?”

Comment by kevinf — May 9, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

4. Count me among those who wake on a M-W-F morning and think, “rats, I gotta wait til noon for my story.” I’ve read them all.

Comment by Coffinberry — May 9, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

5. Okay, so I sheepishly admit that I might feel overloaded if there were episodes every day, or even if there were fiction series running all the time. But similar to Coffinberry I refresh my feeder rather frenetically on M-W-F when they are good ones (like the current one).

Comment by Ellen — May 9, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

6. My stats page tells me it’s a good day when 40 or 50 people read a piece of [intentional] fiction — that’s a small fraction of the audience for an average post of the usual kind. I know they’re not overwhelmingly popular, but those who comment are usually so much fun to hear from that it’s completely worth it to me. I’ll post according to the preferred schedule of that small audience, if I can discern what it is.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 9, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

7. The greedy part of me wants an episode daily, but the delayed gratification part of me won.

Comment by E. Wallace — May 9, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

8. Personally I enjoy the fiction, but don’t always recognize the title for what it is. I do tend to browse my blogs in an aggregator or off a portal (ldsblogs), which means the title has to catch my eye for me to read it. Perhaps a tag of some sort would draw more attention. (I admit this is a horrible way to browse good content) The fiction is a real window into both the where the authors/collective community were at the time, and what they valued and/or aspired to. Historical fiction doesn’t get this perspective, whereas fiction written historically does.

Comment by jay s — May 9, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

9. I love the fiction! MWF is probably best, as others have said.

Comment by HokieKate — May 9, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

10. How about once a month for the true historical experience. (Ducks and runs for cover…)

(I have enjoyed the stories you’ve posted, Ardis!)

Comment by Researcher — May 9, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

11. Kevinf, I hadn’t thought of Ardis posting “fiction,” but these stories and serials provide a glimpse into an earlier time, just as magazine covers and ads do. Ardis is continually creating an archive second to none where it comes to Mormon “everyday” history.

Comment by Maurine Ward — May 10, 2011 @ 12:59 am

12. Maurine, you make a good point, and I too admit that sometimes I have learned a lot from historical fiction. I just have not read the stories here for a lack of time. Maybe I ought to jump in and read one. Any recommendations for which one has been the best? I’ll read one tonight, and report back.

In real life, I do read a fair amount of fiction, was an English Lit minor in college, and have some favorite authors.

Comment by kevinf — May 10, 2011 @ 9:22 am

13. I think you may wish you hadn’t commented, kevinf — I hope not. I thought it was funny, and I certainly don’t expect all posts to be for all tastes, especially the fiction that is so different from the history posts that bring you here. Maurine captured what I intended when I started posting these, as reflections of Mormon life and interests at different points. Someday, when there are enough posted examples for us to refer to, I plan on a few posts asking what purpose some of these stories filled for women of the church when they were published. In the meantime, they’re just for fun.

Maybe we could do a poll to find the favorite stories. Those will probably be two or three of the serials. For a stand-alone, very short story that drew some reader comment, how about “Tch! Tch! Grandma!” (but be sure to read Researcher’s comment #10 in the discussion on another story, too).

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 10, 2011 @ 9:38 am

14. I couldn’t say which are my favorites, as I’ve not read them all. I’ve only read them if the title grabs me (by the coat and drags me into an alley). I think daily or even M/W/F is too much, but that has as much to do with my schedule as anything else.

Comment by Bruce Crow — May 10, 2011 @ 10:52 am

15. I’d love to see a poll on favorite serials. My two favorites so far have been the Bottle Message and Dennis and the Mormon Battalion.

Comment by Joey — May 10, 2011 @ 10:55 am

16. Yeah, I’ve been missing out. I just read both the dishwashing Grandma story and the Mother’s day story about Mary and her idiot husband, and the comments on both of them. They both speak volumes about the era in which they were written, and the role that they likely played in the lives of their readers.

So I totally understand, after reading Keepa since its inception, how these two stories, at least, fit right in with the normal kinds of topics and discussions we have here. I’ll still have to try one of the serialized versions, and see if I end up like one of Dickens or Arthur Conan Doyle’s readers, anxiously awaiting the next edition to find out what happened to Nicholas Nicholby, or what was afoot with Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.

I am now more deeply converted to Keepapitchininism than ever before.

Comment by kevinf — May 10, 2011 @ 11:25 am

17. The one I enjoyed most, from a “history” point of view, was “Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd” because if the insight it gave into (idealized?) the role of a Relief Society President in the 1930s.

Comment by Coffinberry — May 10, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

18. I would read fiction any day you post it, but I do like the serialized waiting period. It counters my netflix-an-entire-series-at-once predilection. Antici…
    pation can be a delightful thing.

Comment by Téa — May 10, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

19. Posting as someone who has never read the fiction before reading the recent “And for Eternity” so my vote for every day is just based on this one story…I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!!

Ardis, thanks for this amazing blog, I love it even if I don’t usually comment.

Comment by LAT — May 10, 2011 @ 7:24 pm