Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » She Had a Question, 1913 (5)

She Had a Question, 1913 (5)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 26, 2011

A few more bits on How to Live a Beautiful Life by Catherine Hurst of the Young Woman’s Journal

Is it proper to fold the napkin after a meal is finished? – Gertie.

When through dinner the napkin should be left unfolded, unless at home.

What foods should be eaten with the fork? – Julia

The fork should be used for croquettes, patties, vegetables and most made dishes; and should be used equally in either hand. Never eat anything with a spoon that can be eaten with a fork.

—oooOooo—

Do you believe in whipping young children when they are naughty? – Young Mother.

This subject calls for some discussion. I will give you Emerson’s method of dealing with such children. When a child was naughty he would not whip or scold him, but would immediately think of some errand on which to send the child out of doors. Sometimes it was to see if the red rose by the gate had blossomed, or how the young birds in a certain nest were getting along, or if a new web had been spun by mother spider; or if the lettuce or peas had yet come into view. These errands were always urgent or important. The contact with mother nature would seem to drive away all wayward impulses and the child would come back at his best.

—oooOooo—

What is the Stone Age? – W.A.B.

A term used to denote the period during which people used stone for their tools and weapons. The expression “age” merely implies a time longer or shorter, earlier or later during which stone implements were used by the particular people to whom reference is made.

—oooOooo—

Is there a missionary course given through correspondence, and who has charge of the work? – C.R.S.

There is an L.D.S. correspondence school conducted by Bishop Edwin S. Sheets, 40 North Main street, Salt Lake City. By communicating with him you can obtain circulars pertaining to the time, tuition, etc.

I am troubled with black-heads. How can I rid myself of them? – Ada

Black-heads are caused by an accumulation of dust, dirt and grime in pores. Massage the parts several times a day with cold cream or olive oil, rubbing it in deeply with the finger tips. Do this until you have a soft, relaxed skin. Buy some sulphur, cuticura, or other mild soap, and a soft complexion brush. Dip the brush in soft, warm water, then put some soap on and apply or scrub gently the skin where the black-heads are. A pinch of borax or a little toilet ammonia will soften the water. After using this treatment a few days, the blackheads become soft and are easily removed with the side of a needle that has been sterilized by passing through a flame or boiling water. You can use your fingers, but they must be wrapped in clean white muslin or absorbent cotton to prevent infection from the nails. After removing the black-heads touch the spot with peroxide or an astringent lotion, then massage with cold cream. Keep them away in the future by keeping the face free from dust and grime.

—oooOooo—

“Patience.” – You should be governed by the counsel of your parents. We urge our girls at all times to marry in their own faith. If you have been an active church worker, you certainly understand the principles of the gospel and know some of the reasons why it is better to marry a man of the same belief as yourself.

—oooOooo—

Do the Latter-day Saints consider it wrong to go to a peep-stone to have fortunes told. – Beatrice.

As a church we do not believe in having fortunes told, and always discourage the practice.

—oooOooo—

“Billie” – I would advise you to discontinue the correspondence.

—oooOooo—

Can you give me some suggestions for table decorations for Thanksgiving? – Mamie.

Our Thanksgiving dinners should imitate as nearly as possible that of our ancestors with whom Thanksgiving originated. Put in the center of the table a dish of bright colored fruits nicely arranged with Autumn leaves placed among them. Then lay Autumn leaves or vines or any of the fall flowers on the table radiating from the center. Use your best linen and china, and have glassware sparkling. Place small dishes of nuts, pickles, olives. Your cranberry sauce can be put in individual dishes or in two large dishes, one at either end of the table.

—oooOooo—

When bouillon is served, should one drink it from the cup or use a spoon?

Use the bouillon spoon until very little is left in the cup, at which time, if you choose, you may sip from the cup.

—ooooooo—

Where should the bread and butter place be placed on the table?

It should be placed on the left of the dinner plate near the fork.

—oooOooo—

Bertha asks in what poem these words appear.

It is not the things that you do dear,
But the things that you leave undone,
That give you a bit of a heartache,
At the setting of the sun.

They appear in the song, “Heartache” written by Margaret E. Sangster.

—oooOooo—

Where can I get the Autobiography of P.P. Pratt? – Jane.

It is out of print, but if you will send your name ad address to the Deseret News Book Store, you may possibly get one in the near future, as the Book Store often has the opportunity of buying it second hand.

—oooOooo—

Why do we use the term “macadamizing” in the building of roads? – J.D.

John London MacAdam, a Scotch engineer, in 1756, originated and introduced the method or system of metalizing roads, now commonly called by his name.

—oooOooo—

Which is correct, “two pair of hose,” or two pairs of hose”? – Gertrude.

When a number precedes the word, pair is usually used as plural: if a word is used “pairs” would be correct, as “several pairs of hose.”

—oooOooo—

What can I do for soft corns between my toes? – Beulah.

First, be sure your shoes do not pinch your feet. Then keep the space between the toes perfectly dry. Take a piece of soft linen, sprinkle with alum or tannin and place between the toes.

—oooOooo—

Do you know anything of the religion of some of our greatest musical composes? – Julia.

Mendelssohn was of Jewish ancestry, but his father embraced Christianity and had his children baptized. Haydn, Mozart and Liszt were Roman Catholics.

Bach’s parents were Lutherans. Handel has been called a Christian by some, but he had a Jewish temperament. Martin Luther was the founder of the German school of music.

—oooOoo—

“T.R.B.” – Lemon juice mixed with an equal quantity of glycerine poured upon and rubbed into the hands after washing them and before they are completely dried by the towel, softens and whitens them.

—oooOooo—

“Violet” – A slight difference in age should be no barrier to your marriage, everything else being agreeable.

1. I teach a course in civil engineering materials, and I greatly enjoyed reading about macadamizing!

Comment by HokieKate — April 26, 2011 @ 7:26 am

2. Ha! I continue to be surprised by what is appealing to different people. I should just learn that whatever “it” is, if “it” happened then “it” will be exactly the connection somebody enjoys!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 26, 2011 @ 7:29 am

3. The author certainly takes a hard (and specific) line on Thanksgiving decorations…

Comment by E. Wallace — April 26, 2011 @ 7:55 am

4. /assuming stern look and voice/ And I expect you to remember and follow these instructions come November, young lady!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 26, 2011 @ 8:02 am

5. I feel so stupid. I usually use my right hand when I eat with a fork, instead of using it “equally in either hand.” How embarrassing!. I shudder when I look back at all the important meals I’ve attended, and kept my fork in my right hand.
    I’ll bet my clients, bosses and in-laws were secretly mocking me the entire time. Oh, the shame!

Comment by MMM — April 26, 2011 @ 8:32 am

6. Back to the children’s table with you MMM, until you can learn to eat like an adult!

Seriously, that one surprised me, too. It wouldn’t have if she had been talking about equal facility with either hand when eating Continental style, but the foods she mentions would not require a knife so she isn’t talking about that. I kinda like to read old-fashioned etiquette books and don’t recall ever seeing what Sister Hurst seems to be saying.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 26, 2011 @ 8:56 am

7. I hesitate to correct Ms Hurst, but for historicity’s sake, I must point out that the middle name of Mr. Macadam was “Loudon”, not “London”.

Comment by Alison — April 26, 2011 @ 10:03 am

8. That might be my typo, Alison, or the typo of the typesetter who misread her handwriting. Thanks for noting his correct name.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 26, 2011 @ 10:12 am

9. I assumed that the use of fork with either hand suggested that a left handed person need not use the right hand. That notion, however, might run counter to pressure to turn south-paws into right-handers.

I’m musing on what I can send my naughty children to do outside…

Comment by Paul — April 26, 2011 @ 10:37 am

10. Ha! Don’t have your fortune told, but Ms. Hurst totally dodged the peepstone question!

Comment by kevinf — April 26, 2011 @ 10:37 am

11. What a spread of coverage, from folding (or not) napkins to Civil Engineering 201. But I do not hesitate to correct Catherine. MacAdam did not develop macadamizing in 1756, that was when he was born. His crushed rock system came into use about 60 years later. And, HokieKate, please join me in decrying the incorrect and ubiquitous use by the media of “tarmac” as the material your Boeing 757 taxis on at SLC International. That is PCC (Portland Cement Concrete). Tar bound macadam has insufficient compressive strength to carry the heavy wheel loads of commercial jets. – CurtA, retired Professional Civil Engineer.

Comment by CurtA — April 26, 2011 @ 10:55 am

12. He, he — no other blog in the ‘nacle could possibly have had such varied comments in the past hour!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 26, 2011 @ 10:59 am

13. I think I-no, I KNOW, I am going to cancel my kindle subscription to Keepa. Not only does Ardis get none of my $1.99 monthly, but I MISS the comments.

Comment by Diane Peel — April 26, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

14. I have been called a Mormon by some, but I have a Buddhist temperament.

Comment by Last Lemming — April 26, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

15. The treatment for removing blackheads was very detailed. Now all I need is a needle, a touch of Borax, and some clean white muslin.

Comment by Maurine Ward — April 26, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

16. For some reason i suspect that her description of the table decorations of “our ancestors with whom Thanksgiving originated” might not be utterly and completely historically accurate.

But whether it is or not, i wholeheartedly endorse this idea. This is why, when we have our next Thanksgiving dinner up here, i’m going to deliver the prayer the way the Puritans would have, face looking up toward heaven, arms outstretched so as to receive God’s blessings.

And depending on how tired of my current calling i am by then, maybe i’ll invite the bishop over.

Comment by David B — April 27, 2011 @ 12:26 am

17. Materials is Civil Engineering 305 at BYU, and Civil Engineering 3684 at my current school. Sophomores couldn’t handle the awesome knowledge that I strive to impart.

I never knew the etymology of “tarmac” before, thanks! And since we’re generally educating the public, cement is not the same thing as concrete.

Comment by HokieKate — April 27, 2011 @ 7:31 am

18. I don’t recall ever hearing the term “macadam” before we moved to the Mid-Atlantic Region. Where I grew up, driveways were made out of concrete. Almost all of the driveways around here are made of what I would call “blacktop.”

So when my husband and I were looking at homes here, some of the listings would specify “macadam” driveways. It took awhile to figure out what that meant since I always looked at the word and thought macadamia nuts rather than a 18th or 19th-century Scottish engineer.

By the way, I’m seeing him listed online as McAdam and MacAdam and Macadam. I wonder if the names are interchangeable.

Comment by Researcher — April 27, 2011 @ 8:00 am