Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » And the Angel Answered

And the Angel Answered

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 24, 2011

In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

And behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:

And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.

And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.

He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

– Matthew 28:1-6; illustration by Phyllis Luch, Children’s Friend, April 1962

1. Amen.

Comment by Stephen M (ethesis) — April 24, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

2. Awesome illustration!

Comment by Paul — April 24, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

3. I like that illustration. Sister Luch’s name sounded familiar, and I suspected it would be in The Children’s Songbook. Sure enough (and very timely with Mother’s Day coming up on two weeks), if it’s the same sister, she wrote the text to “I Often Go Walking” (p. 202). And now that I’ve dragged out my copy of “The Children’s Songbook Companion”, I see that Sister Luch was “the major artist for the Children’s Songbook.”

Comment by Coffinberry — April 24, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

4. Wow Coffinberry, thanks for making the connection.

I do love cut paper art.

Comment by Johnna — April 24, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

5. Glad you noticed this; I liked it.

I’m with Johnna — thanks, Coffinberry. Phyllis Luch’s name didn’t ring any bells at all for me. “I Often Go Walking” is one of my favorite children’s songs, too, so this connection makes me smile.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 25, 2011 @ 12:18 am