Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Anne Maria Jewkes: “My Father Has Called Me Away”

Anne Maria Jewkes: “My Father Has Called Me Away”

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 21, 2011

It is difficult to write the biography of a child. If you knew her, you could write of what she liked to do and remember the things she said. But from the distance of 140 years, and without the memoirs of family who knew and loved her, what hope is there for a historian to memorialize her life? Still, I’ll try – our Mormon past is well stocked with the short lives of children who left little mark in this world, no matter how great a hole they left in their families when they died.

Anne Maria Jewkes was born in Fountain Green, Utah, on September 18, 1866. Her parents were Samuel Jewkes and Mary Nash Gardner, emigrants from England who met in St. Louis. Samuel (then married to Sarah Knight) had joined the Church in 1851; Mary in 1848. Sarah and Mary were good friends, and sometime after they all emigrated to Utah, Samuel and Mary were also married. Several accounts note that this was a happy example of plural marriage, that the two wives loved each other and the plural families lived happily together all their lives.

Samuel had been both a miner and an engineer and was sent to the Iron Mission at Cedar City. When that Mission failed, Samuel moved his families to Fountain Green, in Sanpete County, where Anne was born. She had quite a few older siblings, and her older brothers helped their father establish the family’s two mills (one a sawmill, the other a grist mill) on the watercourses near Fountain Green. Coming after Anne were two younger brothers; although she wasn’t much bigger than they were, perhaps she was old enough to help with their care in limited ways.

Although Anne wouldn’t have remembered it, the family lived in Sanpete County during the Blackhawk War, and their lives must have involved tension and perhaps fear until that conflict was settled while Anne was still a baby.

The family was quite musical. Samuel formed a choir in Fountain Green, one of the first and best in the Territory, despite his having at first nothing but his own voice and a tuning fork to give his singers their notes. His son, Samuel Richard, later organized a band in the same town; when printed music was unavailable, he wrote out by hand all the parts for the various instruments. From this we can surmise that Anne was surrounded by home-made music all her young life, and that perhaps she also sang as a child.

Ownership of a sawmill meant that Anne’s father had access to lumber. Anne was born in this pine-timber home built by Samuel Jewkes in Fountain Green; in recent years, the house was moved to Old Deseret Village in Salt Lake City. Last summer, Keepa’ninny Maurine and I walked through the very doorway that Anne must have toddled through during her earliest years (the Jewkeses sold the house to another family in 1869), without our giving a thought to a little girl neither of us then knew.

Anne was baptized on March 31, 1875 – age eight and a half. Since she would have been baptized outdoors in a stream, perhaps even in the millrace of one of her family’s mills, that early spring baptism was no doubt the earliest the ice could be broken or the cold snow-melt water flow. It couldn’t have been very warm even in the open air, much less in the water where the  child was immersed.

I cannot state with certainty why Anne died there at Fountain Green on April 10, 1875. Her death following her baptism by so few days, you have to wonder – did she take cold from that? Had she already been ill, with her early spring baptism a hope for restoration to health, or a resigned recognition that the little girl was already dying? Or was it some totally unrelated illness, or an accident of some kind? I can’t answer; I can only report that she did die, and that she was buried beneath this stone, now broken and virtually unreadable, in the Fountain Green cemetery.

Anne’s stone has been broken long enough that its transcription does not appear in any of the databases that I know how to search, nor on any family history site so far found.

But I can recite to you the epitaph it once carried, along with Anne’s name and the dates of her short life. I can do this because a visitor from California jotted the epitaph into his pocket notebook, along with one or two others from that cemetery, when he visited Sanpete County in 1877. His interest was not in the Jewkes family, not in Anne herself, but in the language recorded on the stone – his notebook for his time in Utah records many such bits of speech that he found amusing or ungrammatical or full of the flavor of Mormonism.

The visitor was one whom you have heard of, whose life story you may have seen in the past few days on PBS. He was John Muir, the Scottish-born naturalist whose love and enthusiasm for nature helped to preserve the land we know as Yosemite National Park – supporter of the 1899 National Park Bill which protects the great Sequoiahs, and co-founder of the Sierra Club.

Muir spent a few weeks in Utah in the summer of 1877, mostly to get a feel for the geography and flora of Utah’s mountains, but also to make some trenchant – even pungent – observations of the Mormons. (His was an odd mix of admiration and revulsion, and I’ll share some of his thoughts with you in future posts.) His notebook is not a diary and does not often include full paragraphs or even complete sentences. Readers can in part trace his movements from his undated notes. I cannot tell exactly when he visited Fountain Green, or why, but while he was there he walked through the small cemetery and noted the new stone for Anne Maria Jewkes.

Muir recorded her epitaph [image 16] as:

I learned what I could
While I stayed with you here
But my Father has called me away
For some noble work He has for me to do
And you see I had for to obey

Thank goodness for the ungrammatical, rustic poetry composed by a grieving family in the effort to make some sense of the death of their eight-year-old daughter. God bless Anne Maria Jewkes, and all the other little Mormon children whose lives are unknown and whose graves are unremembered.

1. Oh. How hard to lose a little one like that, and how bittersweet the message.

Comment by Coffinberry — April 21, 2011 @ 6:38 am

2. Very touching.

Comment by HokieKate — April 21, 2011 @ 8:21 am

3. Very moving. I think of our own middle daughter’s baptism last March; when the church’s water pump went out, we trapsed to a nearby house and there I baptized her in the warm water of a neighbor’s hot tub. The thought of baptizing my daughter in ice cold water in March is a little unnerving. Anyhow, this is a wonderful post and a bittersweet tribute to Anne and her family.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, I also wanted to say that I admired the way you handled the “question marks” in Anne’s life. You say, “I cannot state with certainty” and “From this we can surmise” and, in the process, show readers how to plough ahead with writing even in the face of factual black holes. Anyhow, I wanted to point out that I think your posts are a consistent example of *how* to write family histories. Thank you.

Comment by David Y. — April 21, 2011 @ 9:09 am

4. Amen to David Y.’s comment. How well you turned a few facts into a very enjoyable article.

Comment by Steve — April 21, 2011 @ 9:35 am

5. Looks like John Muir would have fit right into the Mormon community with that magnificent beard.

I haven’t seen the PBS show (don’t watch television) but grew up visiting the National Parks and had a healthy respect for John Muir, which was strengthened by living for six years in Wisconsin, where he is kindly remembered. My family went a time or two on the University of Wisconsin-Madison tree walk, which includes a visit to a tree which is probably a descendant of the original black locust which started John Muir on his life-time love of botany and nature.

Thanks for the link to the notebook, Ardis. It’s simply wonderful how you can turn some random scribblings like Muir’s into this beautiful story about the Jewkes family and their early and tragic loss.

Comment by Researcher — April 21, 2011 @ 10:25 am

6. Thanks, all. I like to walk through cemeteries and wonder about the lives of the people buried there, especially when there is some clue in an epitaph or picture carved on the stone. It’s always a challenge to uncover the life of a stranger when you don’t have any life writings to go by and have to dig for whatever details remain in the records, then use imagination to fit the pieces together without letting imagination carry you away.

This article was three-quarters written before I realized the nearness of Anne’s baptism and her death. I’d really, really like to know what happened, and hope that some Googling family member who has access to family records or memories will stumble across this post someday and leave an explanatory comment.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 21, 2011 @ 11:01 am

7. Right now my mind ducks quite briskly away from the death of children, but this was a very nice write-up, Ardis. You gave us as much of a feel as you could with what information you had.

Comment by proud daughter of eve — April 21, 2011 @ 11:24 am

8. This article sent me into my genealogical records which are not in the best of order, but Jewkes is the birth name of the wife in a family who were immigrants from England and lived in Fountain Green for a time. I’m sure there is a family connection, but to find it will require more digging than I have time for right now. I’m sure I could find it online, but still, I think I need to go walking around in that cemetery.

Comment by Mommie Dearest — April 21, 2011 @ 11:45 am

9. Sorry, PDoE; I considered putting a warning at the top of the post because I know the reality of this can be disturbing for many reasons.

Will be eagerly looking forward to hearing your connection to Anne, Mommie Dearest — it’s such a small world.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 21, 2011 @ 11:58 am

10. Sam Jewkes is my sweetheart’s ancestor. She is musical also.

I will look at family history books when I get home and see what is there.

Comment by Tertium Squid — April 21, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

11. Wow. That’s a great story. I have been trying to piece together some similar stories from my family history. For example, according to the death certificate, my Great Grandmother’s brother died in the Utah State Mental Hospital from “Exhaustion of the Insane-Convulsions.” The death occured at 9 p.m. on December 24, 1924 and he was 29 years old. There’s got to be a story there somewhere. It’s doubtful I’ll ever find it though as that branch of the family is a little closed-lipped about such things. I have pictures of his family taken years earlier in which this boy is clearly identified because of his somewhat dark and strange expression. Whatever it was, I hope it’s not in my genes.

Comment by Grant — April 21, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

12. Finding the epitaph in Muir’s journals while researching Anne Marie would have been rather astonishingly serendipitous. I assume you were reading Muir, found the epitaph, and that started your quest?

By the way, ancestry.com genealogies indicate that four of Samuel’s daughters were named variations of Anna, Hannah, Mary, and Maria, and three of them died young.

That’s considerable resolve, naming a child after two deceased siblings.

Comment by Tertium Squid — April 21, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

13. You’ve found me out, Tertium! Yes, Muir came first, and I was curious about the otherwise unexplained child’s epitaph and wanted to find out who she was. I also had in mind that by publishing it here, the epitaph would become available to Jewkes family members who would have been unlikely in the extreme to have found it in Muir’s notebooks. Will look forward to anything you can add from your family history books.

Grant, I was successful in getting records from the Utah State Asylum for a relative. You might consider digging into that to see if you can find enough to understand your uncle. (If you want to do that but aren’t sure how to proceed, write to me at keepapitchinin [at] aol [dot] com and I’ll give you some pointers.) But then, I’m always drawn to the people who would be forgotten because nobody else seems to be looking for them …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 21, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

14. The word nerd in me is fascinated by the “for to” complementizer in the final line. I’m particularly interested in whether it’s an example of early Utah English, or of the British English of her parents. (Unanswerable, of course, but it’s the sort of question i make a living trying to answer.)

Comment by David B — April 21, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

15. What a beautiful and touching inscription, Ardis, so moving. I was really surprised to read that the recorder of it was John Muir, as our family has just booked a short summer break near his birthplace and I was toying with the idea of visiting his original home.

Comment by Alison — April 21, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

16. The summer before I left on my mission (1973) I worked building a home in Provo for Paul Jewkes. Sometimes his father Jesse Delos Jewkes (who went by Delos) would come around and work with us–he was approaching 80 years old, but seemed to me as old as Methuselah.

Delos Jewkes is a grandson of Samuel Jewkes–if New Family Search is to be believed.

He also was talented musically–had a remarkable basso profundo voice that could go lower than any other human being I’ve ever heard. Apparently Cecil B. DeMille thought the voice remarkable too, as he cast Delos Jewkes as the Voice of God in “The Ten Commandments.” The only other role I saw him in was an episode of “The Andy Griffith Show” where Barney was supposed to sing (and couldn’t) and was rescued by the stunning voice from a man (Delos Jewkes) hiding behind the choir.

I found some links to the episode, but I’ll just include part 3, where you can hear Bro Jewkes extraordinary voice:

Comment by Mark B. — April 21, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

17. Looks like Delos was in a lot of things.

Comment by Tertium Squid — April 21, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

18. …and he had an obituary write-up in the NY Times.

Comment by Tertium Squid — April 21, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

19. David, I wondered if that wasn’t the bit of language that caused Muir to jot this down. If you can make out the handwriting, you as a word nerd might want to skim through the first 30 or so images of that notebook — there are lists of phrases he heard at LDS services and other bits of language recorded without explanation but which are all so idiosyncratic that that’s what makes me believe he was interested in language.

Mark, as I started to watch your clip, I remembered I had actually seen that episode, without, of course, any idea that I was listening to the voice of God! It’s fun to have you — and you, Tertium — confirm the apparent musical talents of the Jewkes family.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 21, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

20. Found it! Anna Maria’s father, Samuel Jewkes had a younger sister, Jane, who is my ancestor. She married a man in England who didn’t support her conversion in the Tipton Branch, Birmingham Conference, and because he drank and “had a bad disposition”, they divorced, and she emigrated to America in April 1855 with her small son. Shortly after arriving in Utah, she married a widower, Thomas Crowther, whom she knew from the Tipton Branch, and they had a large family, and probably have thousands of descendants now living. They lived in Fountain Green during the lifetime of little Anna Maria.

My sources were Family Search Ancestral File and a book of family history I have titled “William Orson Crowther Family”

Comment by Mommie Dearest — April 21, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

21. Just a quick note — now that I’ve watched that clip and showed it to a couple of my kids, I can’t get that song that Br. Jewkes sang for Barney out of my head. But at least it’s a pleasant tune! “Welcome Sweet Springtime.”

Comment by Researcher — April 21, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

22. Hurray! A precisely understood connection is more meaningful than a generally suspected one! And now we can guess a little more about the general conditions of Anne’s life, knowing that she was part of a large extended family of nearby cousins. Thanks, Mommie Dearest.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 21, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

23. “For to” is a legitimate use in older British English. I’ve seen it before. However, I don’t know if it’s use in the epitaph is according to the traditional use. It’s use in that example could have been an inappropriate affectation to sound more formal. I don’t see anything ungrammatical in the first 4 lines.

Comment by Bookslinger — April 21, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

24. Actually, “for to” exists in present-day English, and occurs in North America as well as Britain, particularly in Southern American and African American Englishes (though it’s not necessarily as widespread as it once was)—consider the lyrics to “Oh! Susanna” (…my true love for to see…), which was an explicit attempt to write “black”-sounding lyrics.

What caught my eye was that this was in a Utahn context, which made me wonder if it ever really existed there—and since i’ve already published some on the form of 19th-century Utah English (though the phonetics of it, not the syntax), it’s making me think i need to go poking around old texts and recordings again.

Comment by David B — April 21, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

25. David, I just ran a quick search of 500 pages of letters written by mostly-Utah Mormons to Brigham Young in 1857 and found 14 instances of this use of “for to” (plus a few other cases where the words appeared together but were not — what did you call them? complementizers?) If you do want to make some kind of study drawing on 19th century Mormon English, I could easily and quickly search my thousands of pages of 19th century Mormon docs to extract examples. If you don’t already have a better, easier source, that is.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 21, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

26. Here is a biographical abstract on the life of Samuel Jewkes. Sorry for not providing a better source; it is rather cryptically identified in my records as “Emery County”. Presumably the county history.

Samuel Jewkes, steel maker, soldier, saw and grist mill operator, and musician of early Sanpete County and pioneer of Castle Valley, was born in Tipton in Staffordshire, England on 23 Mar 1823. He was the son of William and Jane Woodward Jewkes of Dudley, Worchestershire, England. Tipton and Dudley are both suburbs of the huge industrial city of Birmingham.
    Samuel’s early training was in the field of engineering and his work experience was in the iron works and heavy industry of Birmingham. (In his history of his father, Alma Gardner Jewkes Sr., states, “When Samuel was six years old he commenced working in a coal mine picking up the small lumps that fell of the cars. This was his first job experience.”) In the mid 1840′s, England was exporting its technology to other countries, and so it was that Samuel, his young wife Sarah, and baby daughter arrived in Mount Savage, Maryland, the place where the first steel rails for the emerging railroad industry were made in the US.
    Other children were born to Sarah and Samuel in Mount Savage and later in Norristown, Pennsylvania and Cincinnati, Ohio. None of these children survived past three years of age. The cruelest blow fell when Sarah died in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1850. She was 34 years old.
    While engaged in business with his old friend Elias Morris in St. Louis, Missouri, Samuel married Sophia Lewis on 11 May 1851 and she and her 10 year old son John Lewis (Jewkes) came to Utah and settled in Salt Lake City. Mary Gardner (Adams) and her mother, Mary Nash Adams, were also on their way to Utah from St. Louis. Sophia introducted Samuel to Mary there, and then a year later when Mary and her mother arrived in the valley, Sophia invited her to join their family. They were all sealed together by Brigham Young on 4 Jun 1855.
    With the threat of Johnson’s Army marching towards Utah, Samuel, because of his training and experience in the Iron works of Birmingham England and the Steel Industry in Ameica was called with the others to the Iron Mission in Cedar City. It was 1857 when he moved his family until the threat from the army had subsized. Samuel had previously served with the US Army (where we assume he met the Mormons) in the Mexican War and later in the Blackhawk war as a Lieutenant. His army records also show him listed as a musician.
    Samuel moved his family from Cedar City to Moroni, Sanpete County, and then later to Fountain Green where he had purchased two farms and acquired other property. Together with James Boswell he purchased a saw mill and a grist mill northwest of Fountain Green. The mills were built together to make better use of the same water power. Logs once hauled from nearby canyons – one called Jewkes Canyon – to be sawed into lumber for construction of pioneer homes in the area. Joseph Hyrum Jewkes, a son, has written, “we had a fine outfit in Fountain Green for shoeing our oxen, consisting of a pen or frame of about ten inch square lumber (10×10) and being about six feet square with a beam overhead for hoisting the oxen. A wide belt extended under the animal’s body and a windlass was used for lifting him up so that he could not kick while being shod. We would place one foot of the ox on a block, remove the old shoe, if not already gone, and tack on a new one.”
    It was at Fountain Green that Samuel’s musical talent became useful. He organized and and directed one of the first choirs in the Utah territory in 1862. The Fountain Green Choir was known throughout the state for its fine performances. Samuel was a perfectionist, and he drilled each part separately over and over. Not until a number was thoroughly learned was it ever attempted in public. Samuel could sing any part himself and was able to fill in wherever he was needed. The choir sang a capella at first because there was not organ or piano in the area. Samuel had the local blacksmith make him a tuning fork with which he set the key for some time.
    Samuel R., eldest son of Samuel Jewkes, was band leader in Fountain Green for many years. Like his father, he took great pride in his music. He often wrote the score down and arranged all the parts for their numbers until printed music became available to them.
    In 1876, during the Indian Wars, Samuel, in company with his future son-in-law, James A. Guymon, accompanied several other Sanpete men to Castle Valley, going as far as the settlement on the Green River. They were chasing Indians who had stolen horses. They traveled up Spanish Fork Canyon to Soldier Summit, thence through Emma Park and down Soldier’s Canyon to Green River. On the return trip they crossed Castle Valley then went southwest on Cottonwood Creek (about Orangeville) and came over the mountain to Manti. When the call came to settle Castle Valley Samuel had already made up his mind to move there. When the call came to send families, the Bishop of the Fountain Green Ward called first on those families who were already planning the move. Samuel and all his families were the first to be called from Fountain Green.
    After living in Fountain Green for 17 years it was difficult to pull up stakes and move to another unsettled valley, but again the pioneer spirit proved equal to the task. Samuel settled about 2 miles west of present Orangeville, again building a saw mill and grist mill, and obtaining the best farm machinery around in the way of a threshing machine and a gang plow.
    Samuel was never very enthusiastic about politics, concerning himself mainly with farming and the milling business. However, he was appointed by the Governor of the territory as the first Judge in Emery County.
    The first winter in Castle Valley was a disastrous one for Samuel Jewkes and Sons. They had taken part payment for their land and possessions in Fountain Green in cattle and oxen. In the extremely cold winter they lost nearly 200 of the cattle almost the entire herd – and out of twelve yoke of oxen only two yoke survived. Through hard work and perseverance they were able to recover from this loss and the family prospered. Many of the descendants of Samuel still live in Castle Valley.
    Samuel Jewkes died 23 Aug 1900 at Orangeville. For many years the anniversary of his death was the occasion for a family reunion. He was survived by his two wives and eight of his children.
    These are the children of Samuel Jewkes and Sophia Lewis Jewkes:
    John Lewis Jewkes, son of Sophia, was born 14 Dec 1840 at Dover Kent, Houham Parish, England; Samuel Richard Jewkes, born 22 Aug 1853 at Salt Lake City, Utah; William Henry Jewkes, born 28 May 1857, at Cedar City, Utah, and Sophia Jane Jewkes (married Orson Miles) born 9 Jul 1861 at Moroni, Utah.
    These are the children of Samuel Jewkes and Mary Gardner (Nash) Adams Jewkes:
    Alma Gardner Jewkes born 12 Jun 1858 at Cedar City, Utah; Benjamin Franklin Jewkes born 13 Sep 1861 at Moroni, Utah; Mary Eliza (Polly) Jewkes (married James Alma Guymon) born 14 Jan 1864; Ann Maria Jewkes born 18 Sep 1866 (died in 1874); Joseph Hyrum Jewkes born 6 Apr 1869; and Jesse David Jewkes born 11 Jun 1871. Mary’s last four children were all born at Fountain Green, Utah.
    In Dec 1979, the Utah State Division of Parks and Recreation purchased one of the homes of Samuel Jewkes and removed it to the Pioneer Trail State Park near the This is the Place Monument at Salt Lake City. The home was restored and placed in the Old Deseret Village being recreated there as a typical Utah Village of the 1847-1869 period.

Comment by Tertium Squid — April 22, 2011 @ 8:09 am

27. Thanks, Tertium. While also giving us a great introduction to Samuel, for purposes of this post reading between the lines gives a glimpse of the kind of life and activities that surrounded Anne: a large family, hard-working, willing to engage in many different kinds of tasks (both gritty hard labor and the refinements of music), cooperative amongst themselves, responsive to church requests. Anne saw all that, and would have been an active part of it, probably, had she lived a little longer.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 22, 2011 @ 8:21 am

28. Sure thing!

It also sounds like Samuel applied the discipline he learned in the military to music:

“Samuel was a perfectionist, and he drilled each part separately over and over. Not until a number was thoroughly learned was it ever attempted in public.”

Comment by Tertium Squid — April 22, 2011 @ 10:03 am

29. @Ardis (#25): Fascinating! Is this an easily accesible corpus, or is it proprietary? Either way, i wouldn’t be able to get started working on it until after this summer, but i’m going to have to put this on the list of projects on my whiteboard.

Comment by David B — April 22, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

30. It’s proprietary — it’s my work product for the past 12 years of transcribing 19th and 20th century holographic materials in the church archives, and nobody-but-nobody else has anything quite like it. As long as you could identify a particular text string (I couldn’t really search for “any verb followed by any preposition”), I could pull out the date, name of writer, and the context sentence, and perhaps tell you something about the writer’s origins.

Anyway, keep it in mind as a resource for future projects.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 22, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

31. Hey, this young lady Anne Marie Jewkes was my great aunt. My grandfather was Joseph Hyrum Jewkes son of Samuel and Mary Nash Jewkes. Samuel and his wife are buried in Orangeville in a Jewkes plot with some of his children buried around him, and my Father and Mother are next to him. I am the current Mayor of Orangeville, and there are still a lot of his posterity here. This is of quite an interest to me because I was completely unaware of this young lady. My grandfather Joseph lived with us, when I was young and he passed away in our home, and oh what a great love I had for him. I’m sure since I didn’t know my great grandfather Samuel, my grandfather possessed many of his attributes. I have felt like I should have known him. He came to Utah with one of the handcart companies. I am very thankful for my posterity and the sacrifices they made so that we could have the comforts and peace that we enjoy today. I now live on the property that he owned in Orangeville. Thanks for the bit of information that has made my day.
    Pat Jones

Comment by Patrick Joseph Jones — June 19, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

32. Anne Maria is my great aunt, too. My great, great grandfather is her brother, Alma Gardner Jewkes. My mother is a Jewkes, born in Orangeville. Thanks for this very interesting story. I am proud of my Jewkes heritage.

Comment by Matthew Lockhart — July 16, 2011 @ 1:43 am