Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Conference Wordle Puzzles, April 2011

Conference Wordle Puzzles, April 2011

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 13, 2011

Welcome to this session of the 181st annual General Conference Wordle Puzzle, where players identify talks, hymns, prayers, business, or other bits of Conference disguised as Wordles. In each case, text has been run through the engine at wordle.net, which counts the number of times words appear in that text, then adjusts the size of each word accordingly. That is, in the talk puzzled here as “1,” the words “church” and “women” were used many times in a given talk and appear very large, while words like “pioneer,” “explained,” and “sacrifice” were used very seldom and appear very small. The goal is to identify that talk and the name of the speaker.

As usual, please solve only ONE puzzle so that others can play. If puzzles remain unsolved by mid-afternoon, you’ll be invited to solve more. (If you want to solve them all now and be crowned Konference King and Wordle Wizard, email your answers to me at keepapitchinin [at] aol [dot] com and I’ll announce how many you got right without giving away the answers.) Please identify both the speaker and the talk; speakers, talk titles, and hymns can be found on this page of the Church’s website.

Enjoy!

UPDATE: All puzzles have been solved; answers appear in comment 43. Don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to October already …

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

1. #14: Press Forward, Saints

Comment by Sara R — April 13, 2011 @ 6:37 am

2. Kind of a dramatic visual, isn’t it, Sara? You’re right, of course.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 7:09 am

3. #12 is Elder Scott’s, and lds.org is down for maintenance.

Comment by kew — April 13, 2011 @ 7:12 am

4. Aha. One of the benefits of living on the East Coast: I got here early enough to identify President Dieter Uchtdorf’s talk. #17. On the Road to Damascus.

(I was waiting for your Wordles ever since Conference, so I could identify that one! Sorry for beating everyone else to the punch! : )

Comment by Researcher — April 13, 2011 @ 7:29 am

5. It’s a conspiracy! By whom and for what, I dunno, but how could lds.org be down this morning of all mornings??

kew, you’re right with 12: Richard G. Scott, The Eternal Blessings of Marriage. (I’ll bet “Jeanene” was the clincher.)

And Researcher, you’re right, too. Was it, um, “Damascus” that gave it away?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 7:40 am

6. While lds.org is down, maybe this Church News page can substitute. The titles aren’t always exact, and the music isn’t listed, but if some Wordle is tickling at your memory that list may help.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 7:42 am

7. # 5 is the hymn “Have I done any good?”

I hunted and hunted for the most memorable talk (to me anyway) but it didn’t seem to be there… it’s the one from President Monson with the words “Fort Collins” in it. (People are still giddy about that… our stake will be in that temple district.)

Comment by Coffinberry — April 13, 2011 @ 8:01 am

8. lds.org is back up. Whew!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 8:02 am

9. Your #5 is right, Coffinberry.

I apologize for not doing a regional version that would sweep in THE MOST IMPORTANT announcement evah! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 8:03 am

10. #4, Elder Perry on the Sabbath??

Comment by Aaron R. — April 13, 2011 @ 8:09 am

11. #16 See the Mighty Priesthood Gathered

(and lds.org is back up–if it in fact ever was down)

Comment by Mark B. — April 13, 2011 @ 8:09 am

12. Aaron and Mark both score with correct answers!

Recap:

4. L. Tom Perry, “The Sabbath and the Sacrament”
    5. Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?
    10.
    11.
    12. Richard G. Scott, “The Eternal Blessings of Marriage”
    13.
    14. Press Forward, Saints
    15.
    16. See the Mighty Priesthood Gathered
    17. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Waiting on the Road to Damascus”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 8:13 am

13. Coffinberry, here’s your Wordle of Thomas S. Monson, “It’s Conference Time”:

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 8:14 am

14. Lol… thanks Ardis! (PS Glad you’re feeling better some.)

Comment by Coffinberry — April 13, 2011 @ 9:11 am

15. # 2, “I Know That Our Redeemer Lives”

Comment by kevinf — April 13, 2011 @ 9:12 am

16. Make that, “i know that my redeemer LIVES,” kevinf. What a graphic.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 9:14 am

17. I also think I know number 8, but I’d not want to get involved in a “scrum” over answering more than one, so I’ll be “Going” on with my daily mission of work. :)

Comment by kevinf — April 13, 2011 @ 9:23 am

18. *snicker*

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 9:42 am

19. #8 is Preparing the World for the Second Coming by Neil L. Andersen. I think!? :-)

Comment by Cliff — April 13, 2011 @ 9:51 am

20. You think exactly right, Cliff.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 10:09 am

21. Uh… Isn’t number 1 Elder Quentin Cook’s talk from the first session?

Comment by Tod Robbins — April 13, 2011 @ 10:48 am

22. Yup, that’s the one, Tod.

Recap:

1. Quentin L. Cook, “LDS Women are Incredible!”
    2. I Know that My Redeemer Lives
    4. L. Tom Perry, “The Sabbath and the Sacrament”
    5. Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?
    8. Neal L. Andersen, ‘Preparing the World for the Second Coming”
    10.
    11.
    12. Richard G. Scott, “The Eternal Blessings of Marriage”
    13.
    14. Press Forward, Saints
    15.
    16. See the Mighty Priesthood Gathered
    17. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Waiting on the Road to Damascus”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 10:55 am

23. #6: Sister Allred, “The Essesse of Discipleship”? (I sound so certain, don’t I?)

Comment by Paul — April 13, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

24. Do you, Paul? Are you sure? Really? (You’re right, whether or not you’re sure!)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

25. Okay, I’ve given everyone enough time. # 10 is Elaine Dalton’s “Guardian of Virtue” talk that is being discussed over at BCC, given at the YW session two weeks ago.

Comment by kevinf — April 13, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

26. That’s the one, kevinf — all sessions of conference are fair game.

Now’s a good time, I suppose, to open up the rest of the puzzles to anybody who wants to solve more, even if you’ve already identified one. Have at it!

Recap:

1. Quentin L. Cook, “LDS Women are Incredible!”
    2. I Know that My Redeemer Lives
    4. L. Tom Perry, “The Sabbath and the Sacrament”
    5. Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?
    6. Silvia H. Allred, “The Essence of Discipleship”
    8. Neal L. Andersen, “Preparing the World for the Second Coming”
    10. Elaine S. Dalton, “Guardians of Virtue”
    11.
    12. Richard G. Scott, “The Eternal Blessings of Marriage”
    13.
    14. Press Forward, Saints
    15.
    16. See the Mighty Priesthood Gathered
    17. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Waiting on the Road to Damascus”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

27. 11. Jeffrey R. Holland, “An Ensign to the Nations”

Comment by Justin — April 13, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

28. That’s right, Justin. I didn’t see any really distinctive clue words in that one, although taken together the vocabulary (“whosoever,” “declared”) sounds very much like him.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

29. #15 is that “Opportunities to Do Good” by President Eyring?

Comment by Cliff — April 13, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

30. Yes! Cliff gets another one that I thought was rather difficult — lots of opportunity words (work, service, help, welfare) but no really distinctive phrases.

Recap:

1. Quentin L. Cook, “LDS Women are Incredible!”
    2. I Know that My Redeemer Lives
    4. L. Tom Perry, “The Sabbath and the Sacrament”
    5. Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?
    6. Silvia H. Allred, “The Essence of Discipleship”
    8. Neal L. Andersen, “Preparing the World for the Second Coming”
    10. Elaine S. Dalton, “Guardians of Virtue”
    11. Jeffrey R. Holland, “An Ensign to the Nations”
    12. Richard G. Scott, “The Eternal Blessings of Marriage”
    13.
    14. Press Forward, Saints
    15. Henry B. Eyring, “Opportunities to Do Good”
    16. See the Mighty Priesthood Gathered
    17. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Waiting on the Road to Damascus”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

31. Ardis – These really are lots of fun, so if I haven’t said Thank You for preparing these, then by all that is good and right, Thank you! Hope you are continuing to get better.

Comment by Cliff — April 13, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

32. Thanks, Cliff. It’s nice to know you enjoy them as much as I do — I wonder, sometimes, if I enjoy them because I already have the answers?!

In an early comment Researcher suggested that she thought of these Wordles even while Pres. Uchtdorf was speaking. I do, too, sometimes, thinking about what words are going to dominate, and whether there will be names or other unusual terms that are dead giveaways.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

33. # 13, Cecil O. Samuelson, “Testimony”?

By the way, this is fun. Thanks for doing these each time, Ardis.

Comment by kevinf — April 13, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

34. Dang you, Kevinf! I was just about to guess that. No fibbing. OK, I’ll try for one other . . .

Comment by David Y. — April 13, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

35. kevinf has a testimony. And a new granddaughter.

1. Quentin L. Cook, “LDS Women are Incredible!”
    2. I Know that My Redeemer Lives
    4. L. Tom Perry, “The Sabbath and the Sacrament”
    5. Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?
    6. Silvia H. Allred, “The Essence of Discipleship”
    8. Neal L. Andersen, “Preparing the World for the Second Coming”
    10. Elaine S. Dalton, “Guardians of Virtue”
    11. Jeffrey R. Holland, “An Ensign to the Nations”
    12. Richard G. Scott, “The Eternal Blessings of Marriage”
    13. Cecil O. Samuelsen, “Testimony”
    14. Press Forward, Saints
    15. Henry B. Eyring, “Opportunities to Do Good”
    16. See the Mighty Priesthood Gathered
    17. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Waiting on the Road to Damascus”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

36. No. 3, “Face the Future with Faith” by Russell Nelson.

[fingers crossed]

Comment by David Y. — April 13, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

37. Uncross those fingers, David — you’re right.

Two more, friends (7 and 9). 7 has some interesting, shiny key words …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

38. It’s getting late . . . I’m itching to solve the rest of them . . .

Comment by David Y. — April 13, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

39. Solve another one, then!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

40. IS #9 Priesthood Power by President Monson?

Comment by Cliff — April 13, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

41. Yes, Cliff, that’s it.

One more!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

42. #7 is Finding Joy through Loving Service by M. Russell Ballard I think.

Comment by Cliff — April 13, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

43. And we have a wrap! Whew. Thanks, everybody; it was fun.

1. Quentin L. Cook, “LDS Women are Incredible!”
    2. I Know that My Redeemer Lives
    3. Russell M. Nelson, “Face the Future with Faith”
    4. L. Tom Perry, “The Sabbath and the Sacrament”
    5. Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?
    6. Silvia H. Allred, “The Essence of Discipleship”
    7. M. russell Ballard, “Finding Joy through Loving Service”
    8. Neal L. Andersen, “Preparing the World for the Second Coming”
    9. Thomas S. Monson, “Priesthood Power”
    10. Elaine S. Dalton, “Guardians of Virtue”
    11. Jeffrey R. Holland, “An Ensign to the Nations”
    12. Richard G. Scott, “The Eternal Blessings of Marriage”
    13. Cecil O. Samuelsen, “Testimony”
    14. Press Forward, Saints
    15. Henry B. Eyring, “Opportunities to Do Good”
    16. See the Mighty Priesthood Gathered
    17. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Waiting on the Road to Damascus”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 13, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

44. Thanks for posting these, it was a huge help in preparing my SS lesson this week, when I was searching for a conference talk and needed more than just the topic index in the May Ensign!

Comment by mahana — September 3, 2011 @ 11:53 pm