Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Whole Year Through: The Juvenile Instructor, 1926

The Whole Year Through: The Juvenile Instructor, 1926

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 31, 2011

Enjoy the attractive and sometimes sentimental covers of the Juvenile Instructor, vintage 1926:

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

1. Oh, I like these.

Comment by Coffinberry — March 31, 2011 @ 8:13 am

2. The literalist in me keeps interpreting the title to mean an instructor who is a juvenile, or an adult instructor whose characteristics are juvenile.

Comment by Bookslinger — March 31, 2011 @ 8:18 am

3. Very impressive! Nice stuff.

Comment by David Y. — March 31, 2011 @ 9:33 am

4. Those were beautiful.

Comment by Dovie — March 31, 2011 @ 11:54 am

5. Yes! I like all of them, but am partial to February and July. I am curious about the February scene. It would make me think of when Lincoln’s son was dying in the White House and the boy kneeling by the bed would be Tad (Thomas), but Willie was only eleven and Lincoln would have also been kneeling and holding his son. On the other hand, Willie died on the 20th of February in 1862 and the artist intended it to be Willie but didn’t depict him very accurately. Lincoln mourned deeply and said: “Willile was just too good for this world.”

Comment by CurtA — March 31, 2011 @ 11:54 am

6. My personal favorite is the nekked kids on the September issue. Methinks a church magazine wouldn’t have that painting on the cover, anymore. (Or inside it, for that matter)

The Lincoln one is interesting, too.

Comment by Jacob M — March 31, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

7. Oh! And I forgot to mention that I do not like the January cover. The look on Mary’s face seems kinda depressed. I know kids are difficult to raise and all that, but . . .

Comment by Jacob M — March 31, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

8. Remember this one, Jacob? ;)

I wonder about that one, too, Curt. I thought for a moment that it could be the president calling on a wounded soldier, but that’s not right — it isn’t a hospital setting and there would be weepy nurses or sisters about if it were. Your interpretation is probably closer.

Dovie and David and Coffinberry, I like ‘em, too, and am glad you do.

And Books, what can we say? The word Juvenile is just so loaded today that it’s hard to get past!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 31, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

9. LOL, Ardis. I don’t know if it appropriate to thank you for the link or not. :)

Comment by Jacob M — March 31, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

10. Wow I never saw that personification before!

I love these illustrations, even the predictable and somewhat cliched ones. And I feel like that June cover, today.

Comment by Mina — March 31, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

11. I agree with Jacob M. about the first cover. I imagine Mary with a radiant, happy face. My favorite is November, not that anyone is keeping track.

Comment by Maurine Ward — April 2, 2011 @ 10:07 pm