Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Is It Such a Bad Thing?

Is It Such a Bad Thing?

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 01, 2010

This ad for Heber J. Grant’s insurance company appeared frequently in 1908. Now, ordinarily I would agree that house fires are a very bad thing. But if your house is such that this is a realistic scene, is a house fire really the worst of your problems?

1. Can I add mouse insurance to my home-owner’s policy?

Comment by Steve C. — December 1, 2010 @ 9:41 am

2. Wow, that’s timely. I just went outside to take some containers to the recycling bin and found a mouse in the bin. I can’t imagine how it got in, and it can’t get out. It’s a cute little thing, but now I have to figure out what to do with it. Any suggestions? (Short of burning down the house, I mean.)

Comment by Researcher — December 1, 2010 @ 10:13 am

3. Just another thing to feel guilty about. I taught my children not to play with matches, but forgot to instruct the mice adequately. Looks like they are gearing up for a rehearsal of the Nutcracker ballet.

I suspect that in the context of 1908, when most homes in Salt Lake City probably still had large gardens, that mice were pretty common.

Comment by kevinf — December 1, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

4. Researcher – give it some matches.

Comment by ClarkGoble — December 1, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

5. Our cat kept a “pet” mouse (or vole, perhaps) in the basement for months. She would ‘play’ with it when we were around just so we’d know she’d caught it, but she apparently didn’t have the heart to do it in. (Until we cut her food rations for a while, anyway…)

Comment by Paul — December 1, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

6. Yes. Even if your house is messy and mouse-infested, it still beats sleeping in the rain and snow and only owning what you can carry around in a backpack. (Don’t ask me how I know).

Comment by Confutus — December 1, 2010 @ 5:20 pm

7. I had a mouse that found its way into a kitchen trash can. I had just put in a plastic bag as a liner, and it was too small so it didn’t touch the bottom of the can. Well, a mouse jumped in thinking to find something good, and in a effort to get back out, it cut a hole in the botton of the bag and dropped into the bottom of the can instead. No way out. I let it go in the woods behind my house … then bought a cat. The cat would regularly give us mice as presents, but not matches.

Comment by Bruce Crow — December 2, 2010 @ 8:13 am