Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Amazon.com, in 1910

Amazon.com, in 1910

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 18, 2010

From the Juvenile Instructor, December 1910 —

1. A quick check on Amazon.com from 2010 shows that most of the books from the girls’ list are still easily available. Not so with the ones from the boys’ list.

Comment by Dane — November 18, 2010 @ 10:37 am

2. Fun thing to check, Dane, thanks. I’m guessing that Hans Brinker from the boys’ list is still available in some edition or other, but I’ve never heard of the others at all.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 18, 2010 @ 10:40 am

3. Ardis, not heard of the Little Pepper Books? The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew and the other eleven titles in the series? I wonder why they are recommended for boys and young men, though, along with the eight Alcott books (yes they are all good, but which ones are they?)?

Comment by Mina — November 18, 2010 @ 11:38 am

4. Oh, I know and love the Peppers! I read and collected their stories when I was a kid (go, Phronsie!), and wish I still had them all.

I just read the line above the Alcott and Peppers books as being a divider between the boys’ section and those others.

Let’s see …

Little Women
    Little Men
    Jo’s Boys
    Eight Cousins
    Rose in Bloom
    Old-Fashioned Girl
    Under the Lilacs

Those I’m sure would be among the eight — Jack and Jill, maybe, as the eighth? Shawl Straps? Not sure which would have made the cut for that eighth slot. Um, I was a LMA fan, too, evidently, to have those titles come so easily to mind!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 18, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

5. Oh man, you definitely beat me in the LMA stakes. I only learned TODAY of a sequel to Eight Cousins! (can’t wait to read it!)

Comment by Mina — November 18, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

6. It would be so fun to discover as an adult the sequel to a book you had enjoyed as a child. Lucky, lucky Mina!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 18, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

7. Like Mina, I can’t figure out why the Alcott and Little Pepper books are listed under boys and not under girls. I never heard of any boy who read any of these books, while my friends and I devoured them.

Comment by Maurine — November 18, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

8. I believe one or more of my guy friends in high school (5-6 yrs ago) read and liked Little Women. I remember talking about it.I think any boy that read it would like it.

Comment by Robin — November 29, 2010 @ 5:21 pm