Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Conference Wordles: October 2010

Conference Wordles: October 2010

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 03, 2010

Whatever else it means, Conference has come to mean Wordles at Keepa — come play!

For newcomers: Wordles are “tag clouds” created by running the text of a talk, song, or anything else through a tool at Wordle.net. Words in large type are words that appear more frequently in the text; the smaller the type, the less often the word appears. (Example: If we ran the text of the Articles of Faith through Wordle, the word “believe” would be in huge letters because it appears in virtually every Article, and the word “paradisiacal” would be very small because it is used only once.) Your task is to identify the talk (or other bit of business) from the keywords in these tag clouds.

These puzzles can come from any event at any session of the recent Conference. As a twist, this set includes a few Spanish-language Wordles (this doesn’t mean that the talk was originally given in Spanish or by a native Spanish speaker, though). Also, although hymns Wordled here were sung at Conference, they might include lyrics beyond those actually sung in the session.

Please: Solve only one puzzle and leave some for latecomers to play. If there are still open puzzles after a few hours, I’ll invite you to solve a second or third puzzle. Also, please identify talks by both speaker and title (see here for a list of speakers and talk titles). If you want to solve all or most of the puzzles, send me a private note with your answers at Keepapitchinin [at] aol [dot] com (notice that “Keepapitchinin” ends in -inin, not just -in), and I’ll announce the fact that you have solved them without giving away the answers.

On your mark, get set — GO!

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

18:

19:

20:

1. Well, okay, NOW go … I still don’t understand why sometimes the comments get arbitrarily turned off, but they’re back on now.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 7:40 am

2. 3: Two Lines of Communication: Elder Oaks

Comment by Justin — November 3, 2010 @ 7:46 am

3. No. 16 with its prominent use of “proposed” and “manifest” just has to be The Sustaining of Church Officers, presented by President Henry B. Eyring.

(By the way, I like the visual effect of No. 3 — with the word “priesthood” flanked on either side by “God” and “Christ”.)

Comment by David Y. — November 3, 2010 @ 9:17 am

4. 3. Elder Gong

Comment by psychochemiker — November 3, 2010 @ 9:26 am

5. Justin and David Y. are right, straight out of the gate. psychochemiker, I think you mean #2 is Elder Gong — the numbers appear at the top of each puzzle — which makes three solutions:

2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    10.
    11.
    12.
    13.
    14.
    15.
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17.
    18.
    19.
    20.

And David, it’s a lot of fun to play around creating these things, re-doing and re-doing until you get an arrangement that you really like, with the effects that you notice!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 9:38 am

6. I’m guessing #8 is Julie Beck’s History of Relief Society talk.

Comment by Clark — November 3, 2010 @ 9:40 am

7. Right on, Clark.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 10:23 am

8. #7 looks like Elder Costa’s reworking of ETB’s “Fourteen Fundamentals” – great talk.

Comment by Alison — November 3, 2010 @ 10:28 am

9. Yes, Alison — congratulations for solving the first Spanish puzzle.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 10:41 am

10. Is #4 Jeffrey R. Holland?

Comment by NorahS — November 3, 2010 @ 10:56 am

11. Yup, Norah, you got that one!

2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    4. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because of Your Faith”
    7. Claudio R.M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets” (Spanish)
    8. Julie B. Beck, “Daughters in My Kingdom”
    10.
    11.
    12.
    13.
    14.
    15.
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17.
    18.
    19.
    20.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 11:02 am

12. Eleven has to be the hymn “More Holiness Give Me.”

Comment by Carol — November 3, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

13. I’m guessing 8 is Sister Beck’s RS talk?

Comment by michelle — November 3, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

14. Oh, duh, somehow in skimming I missed Clark’s comment (and yes, that even included skimming your 11, Ardis).

Ah, well. I love these. And I love how you got a Spanish one in.

Can I try again? Is #5 Sister Mary Cook?

Comment by michelle — November 3, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

15. …Sister Cook’s talk was entitled “Be an Example of the Believers”

Comment by michelle — November 3, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

16. Could the Wordle have been any MORE clear, Carol? :)

And you’re right, michelle — you’ve solved 5.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

17. I think number thirteen is President Monson’s talk, the Divine Gift of Gratitude.

Comment by Karen — November 3, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

18. No, it couldn’t be more clear. Even though I did that one without my glasses!

Comment by Carol — November 3, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

19. And Karen, I think you’re right!

2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    4. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because of Your Faith”
    5. Mary N. Cook, “Be an Example of the Believers”
    7. Claudio R.M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets” (Spanish)
    8. Julie B. Beck, “Daughters in My Kingdom”
    10.
    11. “More Holiness Give Me”
    12.
    13. Thomas S. Monson, “Charity Never Faileth”
    14.
    15.
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17.
    18.
    19.
    20.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

20. #20 has to be Uchtdorf’s priesthood session talk.

Comment by reed russell — November 3, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

21. That’s right, reed, #20 is “Pride and the Priesthood.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 4:33 pm

22. I’ve been showing my 9-year-old these Wordles. It’s fun how some of them are clicking with her.

Some of these are tricky! The other Spanish ones are particularly hard, I think.

Comment by michelle — November 3, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

23. Yeah, I don’t think I could solve the Spanish ones, but I thought some returned missionary or native speaker might have fun with it, so it was worth the twist. Each of the Spanish ones does have one very large word, though, that is a good clue if you know any Church Spanish at all.

#10 has a less common word that is fairly prominent in the Wordle that should point someone to a talk title. And while the word “faith” is common, its huge size in #6 suggests that it was a prominent enough term to be in the talk’s title.

There are two or three more songs, too, which might be tricky. One key to identifying them, at least, is that virtually all of the words are of the same size because except for a refrain (or the pattern of beginning lines in “More Holiness Give Me”), words aren’t used more than once.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

24. Well, this can’t be right. I don’t see “same-gender attraction” in any of those!

(I kid, I kid . . .)

Comment by JimD — November 3, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

25. #19 Tell me the Stories of Jesus — but I don’t remember hearing that one in Conference. Maybe I was taking a snack or bathroom break..

Comment by Bored in Vernal — November 3, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

26. Grrrrrr, JimD!

BiV, you’re right about the song. They did sing that one, including a verse that I wasn’t familiar with.

2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    4. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because of Your Faith”
    5. Mary N. Cook, “Be an Example of the Believers”
    7. Claudio R.M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets” (Spanish)
    8. Julie B. Beck, “Daughters in My Kingdom”
    10.
    11. “More Holiness Give Me”
    12.
    13. Thomas S. Monson, “Charity Never Faileth”
    14.
    15.
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17.
    18.
    19. “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus”
    20. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Pride and the Priesthood”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 7:25 pm

27. Ardis, I have been waiting for you to go this, then I almost didn’t get online. I think #6 is Richard Edgley

Comment by Maurine — November 3, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

28. #6, Richard Edgley, “Faith, the choice is yours.” I didn’t see the instruction to include both the speaker and title, so here it is again.

Comment by Maurine — November 3, 2010 @ 8:44 pm

29. Glad you got in before they were all solved, Maurine! Yup, you’ve solved #6.

2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    4. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because of Your Faith”
    5. Mary N. Cook, “Be an Example of the Believers”
    6. Richard C. Edgely, “Faith – the Choice is Yours”
    7. Claudio R.M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets” (Spanish)
    8. Julie B. Beck, “Daughters in My Kingdom”
    10.
    11. “More Holiness Give Me”
    12.
    13. Thomas S. Monson, “Charity Never Faileth”
    14.
    15.
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17.
    18.
    19. “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus”
    20. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Pride and the Priesthood”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 3, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

30. Can I guess a hymn, Ardis? (Just delete this post if you’d rather someone else had a go)
    #15 is “Redeemer of Israel”

Comment by Alison — November 4, 2010 @ 6:55 am

31. #10 Reflections on a Consecrated Life by D. Todd Christofferson

Comment by Katrina — November 4, 2010 @ 8:03 am

32. Alison identifies a hymn and Katrina solves a talk! We’re off to a great start this morning.

By now everybody has had a chance to see the puzzles no matter what time of day or night they check in, so let’s through it wide open — solve more even if you’ve already answered one. We still have a few open:

2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    4. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because of Your Faith”
    5. Mary N. Cook, “Be an Example of the Believers”
    6. Richard C. Edgely, “Faith – the Choice is Yours”
    7. Claudio R.M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets” (Spanish)
    8. Julie B. Beck, “Daughters in My Kingdom”
    10. D. Todd Chrisofferson, “Reflections on a Consecrated Life”
    11. “More Holiness Give Me”
    12.
    13. Thomas S. Monson, “Charity Never Faileth”
    14.
    15. “Redeemer of Israel”
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17.
    18.
    19. “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus”
    20. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Pride and the Priesthood”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 4, 2010 @ 8:28 am

33. OK, a second round. I think that No. 18 is President Monson’s talk in the Priesthood Session on “The Three Rs of Choice.” In Spanish. (I don’t speak Spanish, so seeing the name “Christensen” in the word cloud helped a lot!)

Comment by David Y. — November 4, 2010 @ 9:11 am

34. Bingo, David! I’m glad to see a Spanish puzzle being solved, especially when you point out a clue that might help somebody who hasn’t quite figured out how to break into these.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 4, 2010 @ 9:20 am

35. Number 9 has to be the talk by Elder Juan Uceda, “He Teaches Us to Put Off the Natural Man.” I’ll never forget his story about a father apologizing to his daughter for his unrighteous dominion. I have wondered whether the father in the story is Elder Uceda himself.

Comment by DTR — November 4, 2010 @ 10:15 am

36. You’re right about #9, DTR: Juan Uceda, “He Teaches Us to Put Off the Natural Man”

2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    4. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because of Your Faith”
    5. Mary N. Cook, “Be an Example of the Believers”
    6. Richard C. Edgely, “Faith – the Choice is Yours”
    7. Claudio R.M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets” (Spanish)
    8. Julie B. Beck, “Daughters in My Kingdom”
    9. Juan Uceda, “He Teaches Us to Put Off the Natural Man”
    10. D. Todd Chrisofferson, “Reflections on a Consecrated Life”
    11. “More Holiness Give Me”
    12.
    13. Thomas S. Monson, “Charity Never Faileth”
    14.
    15. “Redeemer of Israel”
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17.
    18. Thomas S. Monson, “The Three R’s of Choice” (Spanish)
    19. “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus”
    20. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Pride and the Priesthood”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 4, 2010 @ 10:22 am

37. #12 is Henry B. Eyring, “Trust in God, then go and do.”

Comment by Maurine — November 4, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

38. That’s right, Maurine!

Now that we’re really down to the hard ones, maybe a couple of clues will help.

Of the three remaining (1, 14, and 17), one is a hymn and the other two are talks.

In the Spanish one (14), “Evangelio” is “gospel” and “Espiritu” is “Spirit.” I see “palabras” (words) and “preguntas” (questions) and “Escrituras” (scriptures) in there, which might be suggestive. “Ensenar” and “Escuela” and “ensenanza” and “clase” would also be key words for this talk.

The words in #1 are so expected of any gospel-centered talk that I can’t think of a clue that won’t give it away. “Holy Ghost,” “Spirit” and “service” among the larger words are probably key.

For the hymn, the only clue I can think of is that it’s one we don’t sing in our wards often, although we probably all enjoy it when we hear the Choir do it. Also, the only word from the title that is noticeable in the Wordle is one that is not in the largest size type, but in the next size down. This is probably the toughest of all.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 4, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

39. # 1 is that Serve with the Spirit by President Eyring?

Comment by Cliff — November 4, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

40. Thank you, Cliff! That clears one of the harder ones.

1. Henry B. Eyring, “Serve with the Spirit”
    2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    4. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because of Your Faith”
    5. Mary N. Cook, “Be an Example of the Believers”
    6. Richard C. Edgely, “Faith – the Choice is Yours”
    7. Claudio R.M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets” (Spanish)
    8. Julie B. Beck, “Daughters in My Kingdom”
    9. Juan Uceda, “He Teaches Us to Put Off the Natural Man”
    10. D. Todd Chrisofferson, “Reflections on a Consecrated Life”
    11. “More Holiness Give Me”
    12. Henry B. Eyring, “Trust in God, Then Go and Do”
    13. Thomas S. Monson, “Charity Never Faileth”
    14.
    15. “Redeemer of Israel”
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17.
    18. Thomas S. Monson, “The Three R’s of Choice” (Spanish)
    19. “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus”
    20. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Pride and the Priesthood”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 4, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

41. I can’t resist hymn puzzles…I think #17 is Hymn 41, “Let Zion in Her Beauty Rise” (it was Enoch that did it!) One of my favourite hymn tunes, too, with some wonderful lyrics.

Comment by Alison — November 4, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

42. #17, “Jehovah, Lord of Heaven and Earth” p 269

Comment by Maurine — November 4, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

43. We’ve got dueling candidates for #17, with hymns that have similar vocabulary. But the text that I actually ran through Wordle.net to generate the graphic here was …

“Let Zion in Her Beauty Rise”

Hat tip to DTR who also came up with that title in a private note.

Last one: The Spanish language puzzle in 14. Here’s the same talk, but in English this time:

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 4, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

44. I don’t know his full name and I’m too lazy to go look it up but is is McConkie of the SS pres. I immediately recognized it because it was my “least favorite talk”. I don’t think I have ever had one of those at conference before. Maybe I can get half a point even though I didn’t follow all the rules.

Comment by Marjorie Conder — November 4, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

45. 14 — David M. McConkie, “Gospel Learning and Teaching” — Thanks, Marjorie, now we can all sleep. (Or was I the only one worried that this would flop because some of the puzzles were just too hard?)

In any case, y’all did it! The final list follows — and let’s meet here next April for another set.

1. Henry B. Eyring, “Serve with the Spirit”
    2. Gerrit W. Gong, “Temple Mirrors of Eternity”
    3. Dallin H. Oaks, “Two Lines of Communication”
    4. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because of Your Faith”
    5. Mary N. Cook, “Be an Example of the Believers”
    6. Richard C. Edgely, “Faith – the Choice is Yours”
    7. Claudio R.M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets” (Spanish)
    8. Julie B. Beck, “Daughters in My Kingdom”
    9. Juan Uceda, “He Teaches Us to Put Off the Natural Man”
    10. D. Todd Chrisofferson, “Reflections on a Consecrated Life”
    11. “More Holiness Give Me”
    12. Henry B. Eyring, “Trust in God, Then Go and Do”
    13. Thomas S. Monson, “Charity Never Faileth”
    14. David M. McConkie, “Gospel Learning and Teaching” (Spanish)
    15. “Redeemer of Israel”
    16. Henry B. Eyring, Sustaining of Church Officers
    17. “Let Zion in Her Beauty Rise”
    18. Thomas S. Monson, “The Three R’s of Choice” (Spanish)
    19. “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus”
    20. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Pride and the Priesthood”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 4, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

46. Out of curiosity, was this post inspired by this?

Comment by mapman — November 5, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

47. Nevermind…I used search and I guess you’ve been doing this for a while.

Comment by mapman — November 5, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

48. Right. The first one (2008) was the brainchild of Keepa’ninny Allen M.; I’ve done them every conference since, with one exception. (MADB isn’t exactly my playground, anyway.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 5, 2010 @ 3:10 pm