Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1913

Mormons, just being ourselves, in 1913 —

Elders Playing Baseball at Joseph Smith Monument, South Royalton, Vermont

Stockholm, Sweden, Sunday School

Wasatch Stake, Utah, Ladies Quartet
Winners of Contest at June Conference

Sunday School of South Royalton, Vermont
(chiefly the family of Edwin Clifford)

Missionaries of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Visiting Heinz Pickle Factory

Sunday School, Salt Lake City 23rd Ward

Papago Indian Ward, Maricopa Stake, Arizona
(“The above picture represents about one-third of the Papago Sunday School of Maricopa stake. The rest of the school remained inside the building, refusing to have their pictures taken. … The large man sitting in the center row, with a hat on, is Incarnacion Valenzuela, the first and only Lamanite High Councilor in the Church.”)

Elders in Japanese Mission

Mapusaga, Samoa, LDS School Band

Elders Working near Birmingham, England

Sunday School of Holbaek, Denmark

Darbun, Mississippi

Evanston Wyoming, Sunday School Class

MIA Scouts of Salt Lake City 32nd Ward on a night hike

English Class of Rotterdam Branch, Netherlands

Missionaries of the Netherlands Posing in Native Dress

1. Hey, I served in the Papago Ward! Not in 1913….

Comment by Adam K. K. Figueira — October 27, 2010 @ 8:44 am

2. And my great-great grandfather was born in Holbaek, Denmark–although he and his family emigrated to the U.S. a half-century before that photograph was taken.

As always, a wonderful collection of photographs.

Comment by Mark B. — October 27, 2010 @ 9:57 am

3. It’s funny how much the woman in Rotterdam, second row all the way to the right looks like Mata Hari.

Comment by NJensen — October 27, 2010 @ 9:58 am

4. I was wondering about the sour expressions on the faces of the Pittsburgh, PA missionaries, until I realized where they were…..

Comment by kevinf — October 27, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

5. Yeah, maybe if they were sampling the wares in Hershey rather than in Pittsburgh …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 27, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

6. Actually, since in 1913 Pittsburgh really did deserve to have a football team named the Steelers (although it didn’t), the sour expressions may have been due to the dirty air.

Comment by Mark B. — October 27, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

7. The Elders in Japanese dress bring back such memories for me of my time there. Such feelings are close to the surface as I prepare to re-visit the land of my mission here in just a few weeks. My son leaves next Wednesday for his homestay and to attend school there, and I’m picking him up at the end of the two weeks and we’re touring together. I hope he can appreciate that land as much as his father does…

Re: the OP, I can’t thank those early missionaries enough for laying the groundwork for the Gospel among the Japanese. Great oaks now grow from the acorns they sowed.

Comment by Chad Too — October 27, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

8. Loved it. The elders in England with their bikes (and hats!) was cool. We’ve been riding bikes for a long, long time!

Comment by David Y. — October 28, 2010 @ 12:37 am

9. Adris-
    Do you know appx. when the english class in rottendam was done? One of the ladies looks like great-great grandmother (step actually) and I want to check with my great aunt to see its her or not.

Comment by michnellelurv — October 28, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

10. mich– All I can tell you is that the picture, like the others in this set, was published in one of the church magazines in 1913. That probably means it was taken in 1913, although it’s possible that it was taken a year or two earlier and not sent in until, perhaps, a missionary came home.

If your aunt does think it’s your grandmother, please let us know. That would be very cool to hear about!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 28, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

11. Can someone tell me where the photograph of the Papago Ward came from and is there more information associated with this image?

Comment by Danette Turner — September 17, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

12. It appeared in a 1913 issue of the Juvenile Instructor. My caption is an extract of the caption that was printed with the picture — there is a very little more information there, but not much.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 17, 2011 @ 1:17 pm