Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Halloween at Primary Children’s Hospital, ca. 1934

Halloween at Primary Children’s Hospital, ca. 1934

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 26, 2010

1. This is a great picture. I love the little guy turning around to look at the camera.

Comment by Maurine — October 26, 2010 @ 3:44 pm

2. awww! have to show this to my daughter who works there. sweet.

Comment by ellen — October 26, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

3. Aww, he is a cutie. I wonder what all these children were there for.

Comment by sister blah 2 — October 26, 2010 @ 8:56 pm

4. I remember you said you met a woman who posed as a handicapped child for a picture. Might this be the picture?

Comment by Carol — October 26, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

5. Very cute. I love those “dutch boy” haircuts that high wedge in back!

For a brief instant, though, it gave me a flashback to a Children’s Friend article from the early 60’s which freaked me out a bit as a kid. I still remember it to this day, and I’m not entirely sure what it was about it that got to me so much. It was called “I Was Baptized In An Iron Lung.” I think it was because I had never heard of an iron lung before and the accompanying photo of the little girl in question—happy as she looked—made me terrified. Was it that sense of immobility? The enormity of the machine? My fear that the whole contraption had been perilously lowered into the font?

Sorry to thread jack. I have such lasting visual memories of issues of the Children’s Friend because I pored over them so much as a kid. There’s a good chance the entire cache is still stowed in my parent’s basement waiting for me to reconnect with those stories and pictures. I sure hope so!

Comment by Mina — October 26, 2010 @ 11:33 pm

6. Carol, I think this one is real because of all the medical equipment and the architecture of the room. The faked one was simply children in their pajamas gathered around a table that could have been a Primary class in the hospital, or could have been (was) a group in Baltimore (?) just pretending. This one would have been a whole heckuva lot of trouble to fake. But I’m looking carefully at PCH pictures from now on and will use only those that seem to be taken in a genuine hospital setting.

Mina, I’ll recognize that story if I run across it, for sure, and will see about posting it or some part of it. My Mom kept the old Children’s Friends for a long time, too, although they disappeared in some move while the adult magazines from the same era lingered until I got rid of them in my own most recent move into a small apartment. I hope you do get to go through yours at some point — it’s amazing to me how seems familiar to me from my early childhood when I see them again. I must have had a crush on Barnaby Bumbleberry because I love seeing those again!

SB2, at this era virtually all patients were there for orthopedic problems (it was a “crippled children’s” hospital), rather than for disease or trauma. Surgeries were done at LDS Hospital, with Primary being chiefly a convalescent and rehabilitation center.

I’m glad you’re all liking this. There’s a lot to like!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 27, 2010 @ 12:58 am

7. In 1950, I was problably a patient in a girl’s ward very similar to such as pictured. It was there that I learned about the Church and was healed over night through a blessing from my heart ailment.

Comment by Donna Hessling — February 13, 2012 @ 10:32 pm