Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Riverview Ward Anniversary, 1948

Riverview Ward Anniversary, 1948

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 27, 2010

This isn’t really a Keepa post, unless someone has a comment or finds a family connection that I can’t guess at. I just ran across this program in my aunt’s things (she’s the Evelyn M. Taylor named as being on a “foreign” mission to North California), and wanted to put it where Googling family historians would unexpectedly be able to find it.

Riverview Ward was in Pioneer Stake, on the west side of Salt Lake City. Bishop D. Arthur Haycock became secretary to a number of church presidents.

(To make names visible to Google: Riverview Ward, Pioneer Stake, February 9, 1948, D. Arthur Haycock, John LeRoy Coates, Charles L. Anderson, Carl F. Kraft, Ray Thunell, Milo Randall, Lavelle W. Smith, Sarah G. Marchant, Mary P. Garlick, Emily McCallister, William Ray Nielson, Ralph Taylor, Gordon Cowan, Fauntella Miller, Jenna Lou Burt, C.A. Garlick, Harvey Carlson, Clarence Skoubye, Gordon Dorny, Camilla Flowers, Ruth Dorny, Kay Taylor, Janice Taylor, Hazel Broschinsky, Lois Davidson, Lucille Noyce, Florence Thunell, Ruth Cone, Myrtle Renshaw, Evelyn McCullough, Naomi Coates (Noami Coates?), Alfons Finck, Norman L. Taylor, Arthur A. Glaus, Jesse L. Wager, Richard H. Giles, Walter G. Christensen, William Brooks, Wayne Noyce, Huston Davidson, Ralph Hall, Guy Sorenson, Frank Salt, James L. Graham, Eugene V. Flowers, Benjamin H. Booth, Wiklford M. Finck, Heber A. Murphy, Howard L. Marchant, Evelyn M. Taylor, Albert Sconberg, Alvin Woolshleger, Elmer Hunsaker, Mrs. W.L. Pollei, Va Loy Hansen — and for the fun of it, “egg nog ice cream.”)

1. Interesting that it considers US missions as “foreign” missions…

Comment by queuno — September 28, 2010 @ 12:43 am

2. Yeah … I’m not sure how widespread that usage was or exactly what it means or where it came from. I suppose it is used to contrast full time missionaries “in the mission field” with stake or home missionaries who served part-time at, well, home. But since I don’t remember running across that term before, there could be more nuance to it than I know.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 28, 2010 @ 2:04 am

3. There were no organized missions in Utah until 1975; I presume that, before then, stake missionaries handled any required teaching and baptizing of converts. (I also presume that this is the origin of the phrase “mission field” for everywhere outside Utah.) So, yes, for a Salt Lake City ward in 1948, all missionaries served in “foreign” missions.

Comment by Yeechang Lee — September 28, 2010 @ 2:06 am

4. My mother’s family came from the Pioneer stake before 1922, before their ward was moved to the Temple View Stake. But I don’t recognized any names. I do recognize the “Creamed Potatoes”, however. Some dishes haven’t changed much.

Comment by Bruce Crow — September 28, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

5. What is the meaning of the “(a and b)” suffix on several of the lines of the Monday Evening Program?

Comment by Tim — September 29, 2010 @ 1:31 am

6. I have no idea — having seen the printed program, you know as much about the party as I do.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 29, 2010 @ 1:45 am

7. I love seeing how units used to have these events like anniversaries and reunions (and all of the costumed stuff from the picture posts) complete with printed programs. It makes me sad that these are not the kind of thing we do anymore.

Comment by NorahS — September 30, 2010 @ 10:14 am

8. Yes, that’s part of our cultural heritage that I’m nostalgic for, too, that has gone by the bye in our streamlining. I guess that’s why I wanted to put this where it could be found, to remember.

My current ward does have a few low-key traditions. The bishopric gives a quite nice (for its type) finger-food buffet open-house after church near Christmas. Our stake is also part of the Celebration of Faith group in Salt Lake, where once each year the Mormons (our stake representing everybody), the Catholics of the Cathedral of the Madelaine, the First Presbyterian church, and one or two others, have an excellent musical evening with a combined choir. We alternate the venue each year. The wards in our building also do a community breakfast on the morning of Pioneer Day — anybody and everybody is invited.

That’s a little different from the anniversaries and reunions, but traditions, whatever they are, really add to community life.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 30, 2010 @ 11:06 am

9. I know of a couple of ward reunions out there. The Stockton, California 3rd Ward (now named something else) does a reunion every few years. Even though the ward has chnaged names, the reunion still called the “3rd Ward Reunion”. And the Sixth-Seventh Ward (disolved in the 1960s) in Salt Lake does big reunions ever 10 years, and a low key annual Christmas party. I’m sure there are others. But these are both wards that exist only in memory with members who don’t see each other every day.

Comment by Bruce Crow — September 30, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

10. My grandfather served in the North Central States mission (but before this) and my father served in the Central States mission (but after this).

Comment by queuno — September 30, 2010 @ 9:32 pm