Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1912

Latter-day Saint Images, 1912

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 22, 2010

When I put together these albums I sometimes think I deliberately lean toward the exotic and overlook the Saints who lived in prosaic ol’ Utah — so let’s start this page with a group from Sanpete County in the heart of Mormon territory:

Ephraim, Utah, North Ward

Berlin, Germany, Sunday School Book of Mormon Class

Sunday School, Linton, Indiana

Elders Serving in Amsterdam, Netherlands

Choir of Hamburg, Germany

Wedding Party and Elders of Konumui, New Zealand

1. Random thoughts:

1) Salt Lake 17th Ward–Too bad they don’t build chapels like that.

2) Quincy Ill.–Is that the Nauvoo Sunstone that is now in the Smithsonian in DC?

3) I like how the missionaries dressed in Amsterdam. I wish we would have been allowed to dress like that on my mission.

4) Hamburg Choir–That looks like the meeting hall of the Hamburg-St. Georg branch. I’ve seen pictures of the H-SG branch from the 1930s. It was the branch Helmuth Huebener was from.

Comment by Steve C. — September 22, 2010 @ 7:34 am

2. Wow. That 17th Ward building is something else.

I like the picture of the sunstone and all those bowler hats.

Comment by Researcher — September 22, 2010 @ 7:50 am

3. I should perhaps not break your hearts by posting this September 1966 picture of the same 17th Ward chapel:

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 22, 2010 @ 8:36 am

4. Too bad about the 17th ward chapel. I’m sure they replaced it with a wonderful cookie-cutter McChapel.

Comment by Steve C. — September 22, 2010 @ 9:03 am

5. Where did you find all these great photos? Are they from the Utah State Archives, or from the Church archives? I’d love to know the names of the people in the Ephraim photo, as well as the 17th ward, or to be able to enlarge the photos to look at specific people to compare them to my family photos taken in the same cities at the same time frame.

Comment by Marianne Egan — September 22, 2010 @ 10:20 am

6. Comment #3 needs a “Graphic content, viewer discretion advised” warning. That really hurts!

Comment by Clark — September 22, 2010 @ 10:28 am

7. I always enjoy looking at these pictures. The North Ephraim Ward picture that starts off the series is fun. These are authentic farmers. You can see the farmer tan line on the faces of several of the men, something I remember my Uncle in Idaho had from working all day in the sun with a hat on.

Great stuff.

Comment by kevinf — September 22, 2010 @ 10:32 am

8. Marianne, these photos are scanned from various old church magazines. Once in a while the names of missionaries will be given, or the name of the superintendent in a Sunday School photo, but generally the people are not identified except for place and sometimes organization (choir, Primary class, etc.).

As always, I’ll be glad to email a scan of any photo of particular interest to anybody who wants it. Be aware, though, that since these are usually half-tones printed on cheap paper, usually no more than two or three inches in greatest dimension in the original printing (and very often much smaller, as small as postage stamps), they don’t yield a whole lot more detail from enlarging them.

You can find other sets of photos in this series by clicking on “Topical Guide” in the upper left-hand corner of this screen, then doing a text search (Ctrl-F) for “saint images”.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 22, 2010 @ 11:34 am

9. Hard to know if there are any of my people in the Ephraim photo, though possibly.

Is that 17th Ward chapel window the source for years of JMH covers?

Comment by J. Stapley — September 22, 2010 @ 11:43 am

10. If you attend the Ephraim North Ward today, you’ll see similar well tanned faces and white foreheads. You may even be able to pick out a few descendents by family resemblence. I’m guessing at least one of those pictured is a member of the Olsen Family.

Comment by Seldom — September 22, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

11. Seldom, were you perchance at the Olsen Family Reunion in American Fork a couple of weeks ago? ;-)

Comment by JimD — September 22, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

12. Years ago, when I was a BYU student, I had occasion to look up the Improvement Era issue containing the First Presidency statement on the Origin of Man. I remember being startled by a photograph of my grandfather as a young man with a group of other missionaries in Australia. I keep hoping you’ll post the picture of my grandfather.

Comment by Left Field — September 22, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

13. This one, of a group of elders in New South Wales, Left Field? (It’s the only one I happen to have in my file from Australia that year, but I’ll look for others if this isn’t the right one. If it is the right one, I’ll email you a copy.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 22, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

14. That’s not it, but thanks for checking. My grandfather spent quite a bit of time in Tasmania, but he was on the mainland as well. I seem to remember it being in the same issue as the Origin of Man statement, but perhaps it was in a different issue, but bound with that volume. Or maybe I have it all wrong. It’s getting harder and harder to remember anything that happened during the Reagan Administration.

Comment by Left Field — September 22, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

15. Okay, Left Field — I’ll find it.

Watch This Space

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 22, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

16. I don’t normally say much about your LDS images posts, but I enjoy them all. Thanks for your efforts in putting them “out there.”

Comment by Bruce Crow — September 22, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

17. Ardis,
    I can’t get enough of old photos like these. Thanks for posting them.

Comment by mmiles — September 22, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

18. I concur — these never get old. I’ve enjoyed everyone’s comments, too. Thanks!

Comment by David Y. — September 23, 2010 @ 9:08 am

19. J. (#9),

The old JMH cover was based on the Salt Lake City 10th Ward Chapel window (according to the inside cover of each issue), though upon examining them, I think it looks much more like the 17th Ward window above. If you compare, the cover design resembles the pattern of it much more than it does the 10th Ward window.

Comment by Christopher — September 23, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

20. I cover this subject in chapter four of my unpublished monograph on the history of LDS journal cover art and design. The 1991 and Spring 1992 issues of JMH identified the design as an abstraction of the window tracery from the Seventeenth Ward chapel. The Fall 1992 issue identified it as an abstraction of the window tracery from the “Salt Lake City Ward.” The following issue, Spring 1993, the design was first identified as an abstraction of the window tracery from the Tenth Ward. This connection continued until JMH dropped the window tracery cover design in 2009.

I pulled up a newspaper article on the dedication of the 17th Ward Chapel here.

Comment by Justin — September 24, 2010 @ 9:37 am

21. The newspaper article on the dedication of the 17th Ward Chapel was wonderful. Thanks, Justin!

Comment by David Y. — September 24, 2010 @ 9:53 am

22. I heart Justin.

Comment by J. Stapley — September 24, 2010 @ 9:56 am

23. Ardis
    Copyright question. Can I copy the British images you capture onto my blog? Like this image of the nottingham choir?
    thanks peter fagg

Comment by peter Fagg — March 30, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

24. peter, I scanned these from the church magazines of whatever year a post is dated (1912 here, but many other years have been posted), which are all out of copyright, so be my guest. I hope no one would copy an entire post — which I realize you aren’t suggesting — and it would be nice if you publicized Keepa a bit by mentioning where you got your images, but do please help yourself to any individual images you would like.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 30, 2011 @ 3:43 pm