Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1911

Latter-day Saint Images, 1911

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 03, 2010

Who were we as a people in 1911? Here are photos of a few of us, showing what we looked like, where we were, and some of the things we were doing.

Lydia Best White, Harpist with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Elders Serving in Ireland

Missionaries of Albany, New York

Sunday School at Poe, Kansas (mostly investigators)

Missionaries Laboring in St. Joseph, Missouri

Elders of Nottingham, England

Missionaries of North Texas

Elders Assigned to West Pennsylvania

North Weber Stake, Utah, Baseball Team

Missionaries Serving in Bristol, England

Missionaries of Maryland

Missionaries Working in Chemnitz, Germany

West Maryland District

Sunday School, Darbun, Mississippi

Tabernacle Choir members en route to New York to sing at presentation of silver service to the U.S.S. Utah

Franklin, West Virginia

Elders L.R. Howell and S.I. Johnson,
Serving in Nelson and Augusta Counties, Virginia

1. I really like the popped-collars that some of the team members are sporting in the baseball photo as well as the overly ornate trophy held by the guy in the middle. Style and panache!

Comment by oudenos — September 3, 2010 @ 9:08 am

2. And don’t they know it!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 3, 2010 @ 9:40 am

3. I recognize my grandfather Martin Mortensen in the picture of the Elders in the West Pennsylvania conference.

He was from the Gila Valley in Arizona and was called on his mission by the Stake President Andrew Kimball , father of Spencer W. Kimball.

He was called in a rather unusual manner. He graduated from the first class of the Gila Academy(which is now Eastern Arizona Junior College). At the conclusion of the ceremony Andrews Kimball got up and announced that Martin Mortensen and another young man were being called on missions. This was the first they had heard of it and they had planned to go to college. But they went anyway.

President Kimball was called a few years latter on his mission in a similar manner. See Edward and Andrew Kimballs biography of President Kimball for a discussion of that.

Comment by john willis — September 3, 2010 @ 9:51 am

4. What a great story, john! Thanks.

Somebody always seems to have a personal connection to some picture in these collections, although not usually as direct as john’s. It fascinates me how that works, and I’m always eager to find out what it’s going to be this time.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 3, 2010 @ 10:08 am

5. We need to bring back the mustache, especially for Elders serving missions.

Comment by Bro. Jones — September 3, 2010 @ 11:18 am

6. John,

Was Martin Morensen descended from Morten Peder Mortensen, who was in the Willie Martin Handcart Company?

Comment by dewey289.322 — September 3, 2010 @ 11:35 am

7. Yes he was . Morten Peder was not in the Willie Company , he stayed behind while his family came to Utah and served a mission in Dennmark. Morten Peder’s father Peder Mortensen was in the Willie Company. His wife and his other children all made it safely to Utah.

The recent novel, IN THE COMPANY OF ANGELS tells the story of the Willie Company using real historical persons as characters in the novel. While Peder is not a major character he and his family are mentioned a number of times.

The nine year old girl Bodil Mortensen who died in the Willie Company was NOT related to these Mortensens. Bodil was mentioned in number of conference talks on the 150th anniversery of the first pionners entering Utah. There is a statue of her in the This is the Place park in Utah.

Go the http://www.familysearch.org website and put in Martin Mortensen born 1890 in Mexico and you can see his pedigree chart on the Ancestral file and the relationship will be made clear.

I visited the Handcart Visitors center in Wyoming this summer and the director of the center is descendant of Morten P and Peder Mortensen.

I herby give Ardis Permission to forward my e-mail address to you if you want correspond.

Comment by john willis — September 3, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

8. Cool story, john willis.

Thanks for these, Ardis. I love ‘em.

Comment by David Y. — September 3, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

9. Yeah, John Willis, thanks for piping up. Makes the photos that much more interesting.

Comment by Martin — September 3, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

10. I saw the picture of the Maryland elders, and I rejoiced a little bit inside. That part of Maryland in which I live is currently a part of the Wilmington Delaware stake. I long for the day when where I live will be a part of a Maryland stake. Knowing those elders, in their own way, wanted and worked for the same thing reminds me that the Lord knows my heart. There are good Saints back home working for the same thing, good Elders and Sisters serving there still, and it gives me hope.

Comment by Paradox — September 4, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

11. I love the women in the tabernacle choir picture. Most of the other people in the pictures are quite solemn and austere. These beautiful women just radiate.

Comment by Maurine — September 4, 2010 @ 7:48 pm

12. Thanks, John. Yes, I recognize Dad (Martin Mortensen) in the picture. I’m going through mountains of pictures in my Mom’s stuff. I’ve got a great one here of Dad when he graduated from the LDS Academy in Thatcher, AZ. Come see me in Hawaii!

Comment by Alta Mortensen Hunter — September 7, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

13. Paradox, why the attitude about what state your stake is based in? Do you think you’re too good to travel across a state line for a Church function? Your attitude reminds me of the members of Elkton Ward back in the day who lived in Delaware and grumbled about coming to the meetinghouse that was in another state.

Comment by John Taber — January 31, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

14. I don’t read any “attitude” there, John, just happy anticipation of the growth of the Church at home, the same feeling people have when a temple is announced for their neighborhood.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 31, 2011 @ 2:09 pm