Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1914

Cape Colony, South Africa

Sunnyside, Utah

Larvik, Norway

Ogden 9th Ward
MIA Scouts improving church yard

Catawba Indians of Roddy Branch, South Carolina
Conference at Gaffney (with Charles A. Callis)

Nottingham, England

Aarhus, Denmark Branch Choir

Frankburg, Alberta

Chemnitz, Germany Branch Choir

Campfire Girls, North Sanpete Stake

Elders near Kofu, Japan

Uintah, Utah 2nd Ward

Elders of the Mississippi Conference

MIA Scout Chorus, Sugar City, Idaho

American Fork, Utah

Campfire Girls, Grant Ward, Utah

MIA Scouts in Salt Lake City, cleaning neighbor’s backyard

York, England

Ogden Tabernacle Choir and Organ

1. That picture from Japan brought back memories!

No, I wasn’t there in 1914. And I never wore a hat as nice as those elders wore.

But the rice tied in bundles looks just the same as rice I saw just after harvest 60 years later.

Kofu was a relatively small town–especially in 1914. Too small to have had missionaries working there.

But Kofu is a pretty place, up in the Japan Alps–my guess is those missionaries are out on an excursion! Several hours by train from Tokyo–even today it’s nearly three hours–and then rented bicycles for a tour of the countryside.

I can almost wish I was there myself!

Comment by Mark B. — August 20, 2010 @ 8:04 am

2. One of my favorites was the service project in the backyard of the home in Salt Lake. I love all the posed pictures, of course, but getting a glimpse of folks in action is really cool.

(Anyone know where the Ogden Tabernacle Choir is pictured?)

Comment by David Y. — August 20, 2010 @ 8:15 am

3. The history of the Catawba Indians of South Carolina is fascinating. A modern-day en masse conversion. Though many have taken to the ways of the world, I have worshipped alongside people whom I dare say are the descendants of the folks in the photo.

Comment by Chad Too — August 20, 2010 @ 8:21 am

4. Are there names or a better scan of the Sugar City picture? I daresay they’re my Pincock ancestors, but I can’t be sure. I can, however, hear them singing “A mormon boy, a mormon boy, I am a mormon boy…”

Comment #3 looks like prime material for a guest post!

Comment by Clark — August 20, 2010 @ 9:00 am

5. I agree with Clark. I’d love to hear more about the Catawba members of the church. The topic has come up a time or two here on Keepa and also on my blog, since the mission to the Catawba began during the time John Morgan was president of the Southern States Mission and B.H. Roberts was acting president. One of the resources I have linked to is a letter from Jeff Johnson to a descendant of the early Catawba members in which he mentions that “I am doing continued research on the Church’s activities among the Catawba Indians…” Perhaps Jeff could be persuaded to write something? : )

Comment by Researcher — August 20, 2010 @ 9:29 am

6. Oh, and here’s my collection of posts about the history of the Southern States Mission (1875-1888). If you search on the term “Catawba,” there are three posts with bits of information about the mission. Part 30 mentions that two “Catawba brethren, Pinckney Head and Alonzo Canty, were called to go to the Cherokees on a mission, the latter living in Clay and Cherokee counties, North Carolina.

Comment by Researcher — August 20, 2010 @ 9:43 am

7. I love these old pictures. It brings up a couple of thoughts.

Second is the subtle disparity between the international saints and the Utah/Idaho saints. The York England folks are pictured in front of what is likely a rented hall, as no regular meeting houses existed in England, or most of Europe, if I recall correctly, until the 1950′s. Likewise, the Uintah basketball team or the campfire girls of North Sanpete on horseback. This was still the time of the gathering, and the full programs of the church just didn’t exist outside of the mountain west until the administration of President McKay. I think it took tremendous faith to join a church with no local infrastructure, and where the best and brightest often immigrated to Utah soon after baptism. My heart goes out to these folks in those international pictures.

Comment by kevinf — August 20, 2010 @ 10:33 am

8. I’ll be away from internet access most of today, but look forward to following links and responding to comments later tonight. I’ve got quite a file of Catawba materials and hope to write something sooner or later, if no one beats me to the punch with a guest post. Sometimes there’s so much material available on a given topic that it’s intimidating to approach — you think you have to include everything.

I love the way you-all find personal connections to the photos, the stories you tell and the added historical information you provide. This is a great collaboration.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 20, 2010 @ 11:11 am

9. First, the Ogden 9th ward chapel looks a lot like the chapel that my wife and I attended in a college married students ward when we were at Weber State in Ogden during the 70′s as newlyweds. Hard to tell, and I’m not sure that building is still there, but the stained glass windows and the front steps look familiar.

FWIW, I believe the 9th ward chapel was built at the corner of 31st St. and Porter Ave. Regarding the chapel, R.W. Jackson’s book on LDS places of worship simply notes: “Use discontinued in 1985″ (439).

Comment by Justin — August 20, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

10. Justin,

You continue to amaze. The building I attended was about 23rd and Monroe, but a similar architecture, so not the same building then. I just remember it was one of those buildings with a sloping floor, so when someone with an infant dropped a baby bottle during meetings, you could hear it roll, and then try to guess whether it would make it all the way to the front of the chapel, or get blocked by a foot and picked up to be handed back over the pews to the slightly embarrassed parents.

Comment by kevinf — August 20, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

11. I recently attended church in a newer chapel in Pleasant Grove, Utah, perhaps 5 to 10 years old. The floor was sloped down to the front of the chapel, like kevinf mentions. It was a pleasant effect. I didn’t have any baby bottles to drop, and it was carpeted, so I don’t know if anything would have rolled. (Wouldn’t it be a temptation to put a ball or two in the diaper bag?)

Comment by Researcher — August 20, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

12. Ardis: I should give you the material I collected on the Catawba. On my mission in South Carolina I lived with a Catawba family and heard a lot of stories concerning Chief Blue. I know some of his family are living in Salt Lake. Also I planned to access the material they have at the Smithsonian in Washington DC. I have seen some of it quoted. But I never got that far. It has been many years since I reviewed what I collected.

Comment by Jeff Johnson — August 20, 2010 @ 11:36 pm

13. Re. the photo of the York Saints, the Ebor Hall still stands, and a recent shot of it can be seen at http://www.yorkstories.co.uk/york_walks-3/city_screen_riverside.htm. “Ebor” is a contraction of “Eboracum”, the Latin name the Romans gave to the settlement they built on the site of the future city of York.

Comment by Alison — August 21, 2010 @ 3:57 am

14. Ardis: who are the Campfire Girls? Do you know anything about them? Are they playing Indian in that Grant Ward photo?

Comment by stan — November 20, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

15. The Campfire Girls were (and are — they still exist) a Girl Scout-like organization. The Church flirted with adopting the Campfire Girl program as they had done the Boy Scouts, but by 1915 had decided it would be better to create their own program, using some elements of the Campfire Girls but revising and adding to it. And voila — the Beehive Girls!

I don’t know whether that’s a play of some kind, or whether those are actually the group’s uniforms. Beehive Girl groups adopted uniforms for their groups, not usually that unusual, though.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 20, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

16. intersting–thanks, Ardis!

Comment by stan — December 3, 2011 @ 10:03 am

17. If you look up my name Judy Canty Martin, you will find lots more about the Catawba. There are two branches now, and we are working to unite the South with the Western Catawba. The first time a Catawba has written about the Catawba was my first book of genealogy.

Comment by Judy Canty Martin — January 24, 2014 @ 2:09 pm