Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Dedication of Mormon Battalion Monument Plaza, August 21, Salt Lake City

Dedication of Mormon Battalion Monument Plaza, August 21, Salt Lake City

By: Ardis E. Parshall - August 03, 2010

What: Dedication of Plaza, Museum, and Artworks in Honor of the Mormon Battalion
Where: This Is the Place Heritage Park, Salt Lake City, Utah
When: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 12:30 p.m.

Public Invited

The new Mormon Battalion Monument Plaza, together with the Mormon Battalion Museum and various artworks, will be dedicated on Saturday, 21 August 2010, at 12:30 p.m., at This Is the Place state heritage park (across the road from Hogle Zoo in the mouth of Emigration Canyon). The dedicatory prayer will be offered by M. Russell Ballard, a member of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles.

This monument, the collections of the museum, and the artworks both in the museum and on the grounds of the plaza, honor the members of the Mormon Battalion of 1846-47, their faithfulness to the Church and their contributions to the United States. Exhibits also feature the ship Brooklyn and its Mormon passengers, and their historic voyage to Yerba Buena (San Francisco).

I have an electronic copy of the Mormon Battalion Association’s latest newsletter, The Valiant, with articles, some beautiful pictures, and more information about the dedication, and will email copies to anyone who indicates in the comments that he wants a copy (just be sure that the email address you leave behind the scenes is valid).

[Added 9 August 2011:  PLEASE NOTE: I no longer have a copy of this year-old newsletter on my computer and can no longer satisfy requests for copies, nor do I know who to refer you to who might have a copy. So sorry.]

1. Ardis,

I’d love to have a copy. I’ve been in touch with Richard Bullock, of the Mormon Battalion Association, for a while now. My ancestor, Isaac Rogers Robbins, was a counselor to Sam Brannan on the Brooklyn. Anyhow, we’re hoping to be there as a family to represent some fine people before us.

Comment by Tod Robbins — August 3, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

2. It’s on its way, Tod — if it doesn’t show up right away, it’s due to my fragile wireless connection and I’ll try again from a better connection tomorrow morning.

Would love to hear more about IRRobbins — I know you have your own blog, but if you’d care to send in a guest post about IRR, you could introduce him to a whole new audience.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 3, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

3. I’d love a copy.

Will you be at the dedication? I really want to get to SLC to meet you if I could this month.

Comment by Michelle — August 4, 2010 @ 2:42 am

4. Ardis,

I would like a copy also. I would forward it to my friend Tommy Cooke in Richmond, Virginia. We have never met except by e-mail but he is a great-grandson of Col.Philip St. George Cooke, the battalion’s commander from Santa Fe to San Diego.

Comment by CurtA — August 4, 2010 @ 8:35 am

5. Michelle and CurtA (and those who have written off-list), I’ll send this to you as soon as I can. The large file just won’t go from my home connection, and will have to wait a bit until I can use the library connection.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 4, 2010 @ 8:47 am

6. Would like a copy as both my husband and I have ancestors who were part of the battalion.

Thanks

Comment by MarvaP — August 4, 2010 @ 11:38 am

7. Me too, me too!

Comment by Mina — August 4, 2010 @ 11:46 am

8. Marva and Mina, you’re on my list (take that however you want to :) ) — I’ll send out the copies as soon as I’m where I have a strong enough internet connection to squeeze them through.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 4, 2010 @ 11:51 am

9. So, for those outside of the Wasatch Front news circles, is this a new monument or did somebody move the old monument (dedicated by B.H. Roberts that stands on the Utah State Capitol grounds–or did…)?

Comment by Clark — August 4, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

10. The monument you recall, Clark, is still on the (newly re-landscaped) Capitol grounds, tasteful and distinct as ever. The Plaza to be dedicated at This Is the Place is all new, with all new heroic statuary, flags, tablets, plaques, and all the other hallmarks of modern taste in commemorative architecture that you either appreciate for its detail or recoil from for its excess, depending on your own standards. It is, as far as I know, privately funded.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 4, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

11. Ardis, Great news, wish I could be there. I would love to have a copy of the Mormon Battalion Association’s latest newsletter, The Valiant, in electronic format. Thank you.

Comment by Cliff — August 4, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

12. The fascination with the Mormon Battalion is quite something. It was an interesting piece of the Saints’ migration with several diverse consequences, but how many monuments to that battalion are there already? Half a dozen or more, I would guess. It seems to take the place of the Civil War for those who would be active fans of that if they lived in the East. At Ft. McHenry in Baltimore, for instance, I’ve seen Civil War reenactors milling around, but never War of 1812 reenactors, because the fort’s role as a Civil War military prison trumps anything Francis Scott Key wrote about.

Comment by John Mansfield — August 5, 2010 @ 8:03 am

13. H’Okay, I think I’ve sent the newsletter to everyone who requested it. If I’ve missed you, yell at me again and I’ll send it right out. (It just flew out of the mailer with the great connection here at the library.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 5, 2010 @ 9:30 am

14. Wow – that’s great! I am going to be in SLC for a wedding and staying until the evening of the 21st. This would be cool to attend…

Comment by queuno — August 5, 2010 @ 11:10 pm

15. I’d love a copy of the newsletter please.

Thank you.

Comment by Katrina — August 6, 2010 @ 10:57 am

16. If you are still checking for comments I would love a copy of the newsletter, thanks!

Comment by Jake — August 6, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

17. Still checking, and still sending (although it has to wait until I’m somewhere with a good internet connection). Anybody else?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 6, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

18. Ardis, The story of my great grandfather, John Harvey Tippets is unique among those in the Battalion….for 52 days, winter of ’46-’47 he and Thomas Woolsey trekked back to Winter Quarters..then in the spring they are with the first company heading to the Great Basin. Theirs are the only two names on both the Mormon Battalion and the “This is the Place” Monuments.

Comment by John Tippets — August 7, 2010 @ 11:56 am

19. I am sorry it has taken me awhile to comment. I just saw this post this morning as I have been out of town. I would like a copy of the newsletter. I used to be able to go to the Mormon Battalion web site and get the newsletter there, along with all the other Mormon Battalion information. I guess we can only access the official Mormon Battalion website through Facebook now.

Comment by Andrea Rounds — August 9, 2010 @ 11:14 am

20. I’ve sent the newsletter to everyone who has requested, down to Andrea — if it hasn’t arrived in anybody’s box, let me know and we’ll try again.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 9, 2010 @ 11:27 am

21. I would like a copy of the newsletter.

Thank you!

Comment by Rae Kiiha — August 16, 2010 @ 10:55 pm

22. Found this a little late. The Mormon Battalion web site has been redone and I can no longer find back copies of the Valiant. Would you send me your electronic version please.

Comment by Skyler Smith — May 22, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

23. I no longer have that on my computer — if anyone I sent it to still has it and would forward a copy to me, I’ll send it on to Skyler.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 22, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

24. I recently went on the new Mormon Battalion web site myself, as Skyler did. I am hoping it is a work in progress because there is really not much on there. They don’t even have a listing of the members of the Battalion and their pictures any more, nor do they include the route that was taken, or a place you can buy books. And, no, there are no past publications of their newsletter as they used to have. Hmmm. A work in progress, I’m sure.

Comment by Andrea Rounds — May 23, 2011 @ 8:26 am

25. I would love a copy if you still have access, or if you can lead me in the right direction that would be helpful as well.

Comment by Brandon Robbins — September 9, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

26. Sorry, Brandon, and all future enquirers — I no longer have this newsletter on my computer, and don’t know who to refer you to for a copy.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 9, 2011 @ 5:04 pm