Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Knowing How Much Y’all Love Scouting …

Knowing How Much Y’all Love Scouting …

By: Ardis E. Parshall - July 29, 2010

… and in honor of their centennial, I thought I’d reproduce the coloring page from the August 1923 Juvenile Instructor for your artistic enjoyment:

1. 50 years from now, the picture will have the deacon in a pair of shorts and a troop teeshirt… :)

Comment by queuno — July 29, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

2. My biggest gripe about scouting is…

The campaign hats like they show here were long gone by the time I was a scout. I would have loved one of those.

There. Gotcha!

Comment by kevinf — July 29, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

3. Oh, you can still get one, Kevin. It is only $95.00 plus shipping, handling, and tax, etc. But I’ll be darned if I buy a $95 hat for my 12 year old to lose/crush/whatever.

Comment by Bruce Crow — July 29, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

4. Bruce,

Which is why I suspect my parents never bought me one. I just thought it would make me look more like a park ranger or forest ranger than a scout.

Comment by kevinf — July 29, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

5. Never too late, kevinf, and easier to justify (er, rationalize) as an adult. Don’t you have a turn at Girls’ Camp or some scout merit badge training or any other excuse to wear the hat yourself now?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 29, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

6. Can somebody identify what those two articles hanging from his belt are? The small one looks like a lucky rabbit’s foot but that seems out of place. Any help?

Comment by oudenos — July 29, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

7. Not sure, oudenos. The Improvement Era at this time is filled with scouting stuff, including detailed illustrations of plaiting lanyards ‘n’ stuff from strips of leather (in my day, it was bright plastic and we called it boondoggle). I wondered if this was some of that, but it seems kind of big.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 29, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

8. That’s a canteen and a hank of rope on the right; a hatchet, pocketknife, and mess kit on the left.

Looks remarkably like Samwise Gamgee, I think.

Comment by Coffinberry — July 29, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

9. Hadn’t even noticed the hatchet until you named it, Coffinberry.

She Who Knows has spoken! Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 29, 2010 @ 9:38 pm

10. I knew a Scouter once who used his campaign hat to avoid speeding tickets. By strategically positioning the hat in the back window of his car he would get a pass from the state troopers, county mounties and sheriff’s deputies – a professional courtesy to a “fellow law enforcement officer.” If they only knew!

Comment by Eric Boysen — July 30, 2010 @ 7:22 am