Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1928

Beehive Girls of The Hague, Netherlands

Moss Branch District, Oslo, Norway

Primary of Hurricane, Utah

Cedar City, Utah, 3rd Ward Bluebirds

Sunday School, Las Vegas, Nevada

Prospective Relief Society Members of Baker City, Oregon
Mary Ellen, Margaret Lorraine, and Mildred Linett Gray, Daughters of Ada Knowles Gray

Bluebird Girls (Primary), Monterey, California

Casper, Wyoming

Beehive Girls, British Mission

Oldham, England, Primary

Hyrum, Utah 1st Ward Sunday School

Cincinnati, Ohio

Aleppo, Syria
Relief Society Leaders with Mission President and Sister Booth

Beehive Girls, Berlin, Germany

1. What I would give for a Primary Drum Corps….

Comment by ESO — July 22, 2010 @ 7:48 am

2. As usual, very interesting. Odd picture notes ‘Basketbrawl’ and ‘Happiness Makers’. It would be cool to know what happened to some of these Wards or Branches. New York seemed to have a larger group of people. I guess we don’t promote Drum Corps in Primary anymore. Great pictures, thanks.

Comment by Mex Davis — July 22, 2010 @ 7:54 am

3. The New York photograph appears to have been taken in what is now called the Joan and Sanford Weill Recital Hall–one of three halls in Carnegie Hall. In its current configuration it seats 196 on the orchestra level–roughly the number of people in that photograph.

My hunch is that none of the folks in the photograph had to practice much to get there.

Once again, thanks, Ardis, for a great group of photographs.

Comment by Mark B. — July 22, 2010 @ 8:36 am

4. Yes, these were great. And quite a variety of shots. I thought the one of the missionaries skiing in the Alps was fun — I’m guessing it’s verboten these days, but back then . . .

Comment by David Y. — July 22, 2010 @ 9:09 am

5. I like the look on the face of the boy 2nd from left in the New Zealand photo.

Comment by Bookslinger — July 22, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

6. During Prohibition, the United States Lines’ ships were all dry whereas foreign-operated ships served booze once outside of American waters. In fact, maritime historians generally seem to concur that the Leviathan was a commercial failure because of it.

I wonder whether the group of missionaries pictured on the Leviathan indicates a broader Church policy of using only US Lines’ ships to transport its missionaries during Prohibition?

Comment by JimD — July 22, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

7. There’s a story in a period Era about a church member who was somebody (steward? recreation director? somethin’) on the Leviathan, and I’ve wondered if personal connections had as much to do with such a large group of missionaries sailing on that ship as anything else. I’ll have to take another look at that article and see if there’s a post in it, Jim.

Thanks for the comments, all. I love looking at old Mormon photos as much as I do old Parshall photos.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 22, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

8. Gaaaaaaaaahhhh I cannot even begin to imagine raising triplets without modern conveniences.

And I didn’t go on a mission so I wouldn’t know, but I assume that if swimming and full-court basketball are outlawed for missionaries these days, so is skiing. :)

Comment by Cynthia L. — July 22, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

9. RE: Ogden Primary Drum Corps, what year was this? My dad and his brother played their drums in some parades in Ogden when they were kids in the 1930s.
    Thx, as always.

Comment by manaen — July 22, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

10. 9. Ah — 1928!

Comment by manaen — July 22, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

11. Ardis, I, for one, would LOVE to see a post on that article if you can dig it up.

Many thanks for all that you do–

Comment by JimD — July 23, 2010 @ 9:26 am

12. Huh–when I saw the picture of the missionaries skiing, I thought they were doing it as a form of transportation, rather than recreation. Maybe not.

Comment by ESO — July 23, 2010 @ 10:40 am

13. There weren’t any ski-lifts in Switzerland (or anywhere else, for that matter) in 1928. But some nordic skiing events were in the 1924 Winter Olympics, and undoubtedly people were skiing for recreation by then, and not just to get around in the deep snow.

Actually, the photo makes them look as if they’re having too much fun to simply be traveling from one place to another!

Comment by Mark B. — July 23, 2010 @ 2:13 pm