Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “The Four Quests of Home Building,” 1942

“The Four Quests of Home Building,” 1942

By: Ardis E. Parshall - July 19, 2010

This poster showing the goals of the Home Builder program (Home Builders were the oldest girls’ classes in Primary) dates to 1942.

1. Rats. And I was all set to hear something useful about construction:

1. Square, plumb, level. Start right, or nothing else will come out right.

2. Avoid cheap materials. A warped stud or joist is worse than none at all.

3. If there’s a mistake, fix it now. It’ll cost less than trying to fix it later.

4. Quarter-sawn oak. Nada mas.

Comment by Mark B. — July 19, 2010 @ 7:12 am

2. What a disappointment that must have been, funny man!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 19, 2010 @ 7:37 am

3. Honestly, by the title, I expected the post to be some sort of treatise extolling the virtues of home ownership. Count this dude as disappointed, too. [wink]

Comment by David Y. — July 19, 2010 @ 10:00 am

4. I’m really glad that these beautiful, lovely, charming, and attractive girls are black. Pretty forward thinking for that generation.

Comment by oudenos — July 19, 2010 @ 10:16 am

5. The first three apply equally to boys and girls, which I also find nice considering the time frame. I might choose slightly different vocabulary for the Trail Blazers or Trekkers or whatever the boys were called, but the sentiment is all good. Our relationship with God, developing our talents, and serving others all would be good advice for the young men.

But the clear skin, beautiful hair, etc under health seems to ignore the reality of genetics, as someone who inherited the greasy hair and acne genes somewhere along the line can affirm. Eventually, I grew out of it, but let’s not make us feel bad because of our parents/grandparents, etc. Of course, maybe it was just the constipation.

Comment by kevinf — July 19, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

6. I had never heard of the Home Builder program. When was it replaced?

Comment by Bruce Crow — July 20, 2010 @ 8:54 am

7. I’d have to look up the date to know, but the Home Builders became the Home Makers which became the Little Home Makers which were the “Lihomas” when I was that age in the ’60s.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 20, 2010 @ 9:57 am