Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Smells like …

Smells like …

By: Ardis E. Parshall - July 13, 2010

“President Howard McDonald of the Salt Lake Temple makes a plea for any and all who come to the temple for marriages, that they refrain from the practice of throwing rice, which collects on the walks outside the temple. He says that some have even thrown rice inside the temple annex, which creates several undesirable effects.

“He says that when the rice becomes wet it ferments and makes the premises ‘smell like a brewery.'”

–“Save Your Rice,” Church News, 24 September 1966, 2

1. Too funny – probably not the best thing to smell when entering or leaving the Temple…

Comment by Jonathan K — July 13, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

2. A toast to the bride and groom!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 13, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

3. I got a chuckle from finding out that the LDS church in Golden, CO (home of Coors beer) is located on Brewery road.

Comment by Mark Brown — July 13, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

4. I was going to guess: Teen Spirit.

Comment by Chris H. — July 13, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

5. Are the environmentally conscious wedding-goers still throwing bird-seed?

Speaking of booze and weddings, a few years ago, one of our single guys married a non-member. She and her family paid for the wedding and reception, and the booze flowed freely. Or so I’m told. But know what? She eventually joined the church!

Comment by Bookslinger — July 13, 2010 @ 7:52 pm

6. I’m glad rice has mostly gone out of style! Birdseed is still fashionable, but now other things like ringing tiny bells or blowing bubbles has also caught on because some churches don’t like birdseed messes either!

Comment by Allison — July 13, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

7. I had wondered why it would be necessary to have some who (like Eleanor Rigby) picks up the rice at the church when the wedding was done. Now I know.

Comment by Bruce Crow — July 14, 2010 @ 8:46 am

8. I know I’ve asked you before, Ardis, but I forget now. When did the wonderful old Annex get replaced?

Comment by J. Stapley — July 14, 2010 @ 10:23 am

9. That wonderful Oriental fantasy was torn down early in 1962 1963 /sheds a tear/.

The present annex was dedicated in March 1966. In between, they used part of the building that is now the North Visitors’ Center (the one with the Christus, although the rotunda displaying that statue had not yet been built, I think [yes, it had -- it was under construction before the old Annex was demolished]) for some of the offices and other functions that are now housed in the annex.

So reference to the annex in this demented/fermented post would have meant the present-day building.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 14, 2010 @ 10:40 am

10. Actually, the Golden Colorado Stake Center is located on Coors Street, in Lakewood, Colorado. Same irony, just wanted to correct the record.

Comment by Karl Kategianes — July 15, 2010 @ 4:55 pm