Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1910

Latter-day Saint Images, 1910

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 13, 2010

It’s been a while since we gazed through the glass at the faces of Latter-day Saints of the past. Here are some of the members and missionaries of 1910 who sang many of the same hymns and learned or passed along the same stories  that we share today.

Poe, Kansas

Missionaries working in Rhode Island and Connecticut

Elders serving in Breslau, Germany

Sunday School of Aalesund, Norway

Young Ladies’ Mutual Improvement Association, Aintab, Syria

Branch Choir of Aalborg, Denmark

Missionaries of the New Hampshire Conference

Missionaries serving in Wisconsin

Basel, Switzerland
(They seem to show up in just about every album, don’t they?)

Elders of Wairarapa, New Zealand

Elders of New Haven, Connecticut

Sharing the gospel in El Dorado, Arkansas

Missionaries in Aarhus, Denmark

In the Northern States Mission

Missionaries Serving in the Chicago Office

1. Wonderful!

I think we’d move a giant step up the “dignity scale” if we all started wearing hats again. Those New Hampshire missionaries just look as if they should be taken seriously!

Comment by Mark B. — May 13, 2010 @ 7:59 am

2. I was noticing the frequency of bowties. It isn’t too common except in Louisiana and where half of the Elders have them. I thought it was a southern thing until I got to the second to last photo (Northern States Misison) and every Elder had one.

Comment by Bruce Crow — May 13, 2010 @ 8:08 am

3. Young Ladies’ Mutual Improvement Association, Aintab, Syria it would be interesting to hear more about this branch and it history. Love all the pictures. Most of the Missionaries look older than the 19 year olds of today.

Comment by Mex Davis — May 13, 2010 @ 8:45 am

4. Yes, Mark B., bring back the hats. And while we’re at it, check out the ‘staches on the Norwegian dudes. Them’s cool, too.

Comment by Hunter — May 13, 2010 @ 10:05 am

5. This is one of my favorite running series (next to “Why I Love Brigham”…that was a hint, Ardis). To me, nothing brings back the way we were like a picture. I have some info stashed somewhere on a concerted effort made during this time period to get more men on a mission, which led to a marked increase in older married men going on a mission. I’ll see if I can find it and submit it for consideration as a guest post.

Comment by Clark — May 13, 2010 @ 10:23 am

6. That’s right, Hunter. What the men lack in number they make up in moustaches!

Comment by Mark B. — May 13, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

7. I’m having a hard time getting past the hairstyles to come up with a serious response.

Actually, they’re lovely photos. I particularly like the ones of the members. One of my great grandfathers was on his mission around this time. I’ll have to look up when and where.

Comment by Researcher — May 13, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

8. Sounds like it’s gotta be hats then. Then we can get a serious response out of Researcher.

Comment by Mark B. — May 13, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

9. These are always great. Between 1890 and 1914 the number of members in Germany began to grow substantially. I think the Breslau and Koenigsberg branches indicate this growth. Estimates are there was nearly 5,000 members in Germany by 1914. World War I interrupted most missionary activity in Germany, but the 1920s saw incredible growth in the German mission(s).

I’m not familiar with Poe, KS. I imagine the town either doesn’t exist anymore or the name has changed.

Comment by Steve C. — May 13, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

10. Found Poe, KS. In 1910 the population of Poe was listed at 12. Poe was a small settlement on the AT&SF rail line in far western KS close to Colorado. Now there is no church unit there. (Poe would be in my home stake and my parents’ current stake.)

Comment by Steve C. — May 13, 2010 @ 4:33 pm

11. I love the group from Syria. Is that braided hair on person #9?

Comment by Maurine — May 13, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

12. I just noticed the numbers on the young women in the Syria photo. There must have been a key at some point indicating who they were.

Comment by Bruce Crow — May 13, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

13. That photo of the Primary kids in the Salt Lake 12th-13th Ward is certainly worth a thousand words, isn’t it?

The adult supervisor standing at attention, the girls dressed in uniform white dresses (and bows), the reed organ in the corner, the spare and windowless walls, and the generally dour expressions on everyone’s faces. What a totally foreign world this picture evokes!

And to think that these kids are only a few years older than my (living) grandpa (also from Salt Lake). Whoah.

Comment by Hunter — May 14, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

14. As one who was born and raised LDS in Manitoba, Canada it is so bizarre to see only 5 missionaries serving for probably the whole province. In 1910 missionaries and a small branch of members would have probably met in a member’s house in Winnipeg as the chapel was 4 years away from being built and dedicated by Elder Orson F. Whitney of the 12.

Comment by Steinbusch — July 23, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

15. are there more pictures of missionaries…
    my grandparents were both missionaries in the northern states mission1910

Comment by melody Vasion — January 7, 2014 @ 7:05 pm

16. Melody, both the Improvement Era and Liahona: The Elder’s Journal published occasional pictures of missionaries, so there is a possibility, however small, that your grandparents might show up in such photos. I have not happened to scan and post any other photos from 1910, though.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 7, 2014 @ 11:53 pm