Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Whole Year Through: The Juvenile Instructor, 1914

The Whole Year Through: The Juvenile Instructor, 1914

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 28, 2010

The last year of the Juvenile Instructor to feature black-and-white covers, 1914′s images portray scenes of early 20th century child-life, no doubt purchased from an art supply house. No artist’s or distributor’s name appears on the covers or in the magazine, so far as I could determine.

Each painting has a title printed in small type at the bottom; if you can’t make out those titles, let me know and I’ll add them to the post.

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

1. I like ‘em. Interesting how many of these covers feature dogs (and that they’re all the old standard-not the modern AKC “for show” types) while none are the least bit religious. On the other hand, based on the articles you’ve posted, the JI was supposed to be a general interest mag?

Any idea why the school scene is on a June cover? It seems out of of place…

Comment by Clark — April 28, 2010 @ 10:03 am

2. That does seem out of place, doesn’t it? It looks like a normal school scene, not one with the pain of summer school, so I have no idea.

Yes, this early and earlier the JI was a general interest magazine for children, although it was the organ of the Sunday School. I think there weren’t too many mass market materials for children then, and GQC and his successors were trying to provide wholesome (i.e., not penny dreadful) reading for children. This may well have been the only children’s material that entered a lot of LDS homes.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 28, 2010 @ 10:10 am

3. They are adorable.

Comment by Bruce Crow — April 28, 2010 @ 11:15 am

4. A boy and his dog. How sweet. My youngest wants to buy a dog sooo bad. He talks constantly about taking a dog on a walk and taking a dog to the park and throwing a ball for a dog. I wish I knew anything about taking care of dogs! But it seems like it would make an already complicated life even more so.

Maybe a cat…

Comment by Researcher — April 28, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

5. Much as I love cats, a cat is no substitute for a dog for a boy who wants to play. Just sayin’.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 28, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

6. I prefer cats. But later this summer we are moving to a house with some space around it. When my older son saw it he said “does this mean I can get a dog?”

We’ll see.

Comment by Bruce Crow — April 28, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

7. Delightful pictures. They almost make me wish for such an uncomplicated time.

Comment by Maurine — April 28, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

8. Watch those kids; when they say, “Can I get a dog?”, what they really mean is, “Will you buy, feed, walk and pay for the shots for a dog while I only take it out when I feel like it/if the weather is fine/until the novelty wears off”?!

Just sayin’ ;-)

Comment by Alison — April 28, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

9. Are these all by the same artist? For illustrations, they are pretty good. Whoever created these did a nice job of bringing a lot of the faces to life, even while very stylistically rendered. Check out, for example, the eyes of the first boy to the right of the girl in white on the December cover. I also really liked the June cover as well.

Comment by kevinf — April 28, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

10. I think the lesson to be learned from the covers is clear–if you’re serious about this religion business, you’d better get a dog. NOW!

And an Amen to Ardis–except that I start with a hearty dislike for cats.

But Alison is correct–if you think the children will feed, water, walk, clean up after and play with the dog, as we say in Brooklyn, Fuggettaboudit!

I’m reminded of the talk Huck Finn had with Miss Watson:

I asked her if she reckoned Tom Sawyer would go there [heaven] and she said not by a considerable sight. I was glad about that because I wanted him and me to be together.

If Yorick and Violet and Bo and Abby aren’t there, it won’t be heaven.

Comment by Mark B. — April 28, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

11. The titles are not too hard to read:

January – No title that I can see
      February – ‘Watch ‘Em”
      March – “A Joint Account”
      April – “Little Watchman”
      May – “A Mother’s Pride”
      June – “A Hard Problem”
      July – “The Winning Run”
      August – “Pals”
      September – “Fairy Tales”
      October – “Once Upon A Time”
      Novermber – “Mother”
      December – “A Christmas Carol”

BTW June is the time for final exams, so I think the hard problem is quite apt.

Comment by Eric Boysen — April 29, 2010 @ 12:42 am

12. Eric to the rescue! Thanks. That makes sense for June, too. (Some of us are too used to a schedule of August-May school to remember that’s not the norm.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 29, 2010 @ 6:47 am

13. I reread the post, and realized that it wasn’t a contest everyone was ignoring! And I thought I was going to win even as a late comer.

Comment by Eric Boysen — April 29, 2010 @ 7:37 am