Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Guest Post: Sled Girl and Friends

Guest Post: Sled Girl and Friends

By: David Young - February 18, 2010

This was a fun project for the girls on a wet and cold Saturday afternoon. The best question was an incredulous: “Is that how they played with dolls back then?” This one kinda stumped me: “How did they color them back then?”

[Answer: Crayola crayons in the 8-pack — red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, black, brown — were available by this date.]

The pictures are courtesy of a ten-year-old photographer.

1. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Incidentally, those sleds really slid! We had to tape them in place in order to get a picture of the darn things.

Comment by David Young — February 18, 2010 @ 9:29 am

2. Thanks for sending them in, David — welcome to Keepa.

I love the creativity in adding long pants and adjusting the hairstyles and everything. Really, really cool!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 18, 2010 @ 9:45 am

3. david, so cool that you and your girls took the time to do this. in a world of electronics and batteries, sometimes the simple things really are the best.

Comment by ellen — February 18, 2010 @ 11:16 am

4. I love the modernizing and addition of a female sled child! Did your girls come up with that themselves?

I’m also curious about the “how did they color them” remark…have your kids never played with coloring books? Are those passe now?

If you manage to get your daughters turned on to the magic world of paper dolls, or interested in other paper crafts, there is a world of interesting examples and fun free downloads on the internet!

Comment by Mina — February 18, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

5. Very nice. No reason sledding should be limited to the boys!

Comment by Researcher — February 18, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

6. Here’s a link to some cute paper toys that are very easy to assemble:

Comment by Mina — February 18, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

7. Thanks for the comments all.

Yes, my middle daughter got a gleam in her eye as she announced that she was going to make her doll into a girl. Made me chuckle.

No, Mina, my girls very much enjoy coloring and drawing still. The question about how they colored them back then was based on an assumption that they didn’t have coloring crayons 100 years ago, I guess.

Comment by David Young — February 18, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

8. Actually, I always thought (at least after a certain age) that sledding–and tubing and tobogganing–was more fun if both girls and boys were involved.

Comment by Mark B. — February 18, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

9. Prior to crayons, I would guess they used paint.

Comment by Kimarie — February 19, 2010 @ 9:31 am

10. They are so well done!

Colouring in is very theraputic. I have a friend who used to pray to be called to Primary just so she had an excuse to sit and colour things in when ‘preparing’ for lessons and sharing time.

Comment by Anne (U.K) — February 19, 2010 @ 12:04 pm