Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Sweet!: Crystallized Sunshine

Sweet!: Crystallized Sunshine

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 28, 2010

In celebration of today’s bright blue sky, what could be more wholesome, more glittering and pure, than crystallized sunshine?

1. Ha! My kids would freak out to see a jar of jam covered with paraffin. Pretty common in my youth, but I don’t know when the last time I saw one of those jars sealed with wax.

Comment by kevinf — January 28, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

2. I used to love melting the paraffin — in a can within a can within a sauce pot, to keep Mom’s cookware unwaxy — and then pouring it on the jam. Not so much fun digging it out, or biting into a little bit that got left behind.

But that’s what it took to get to that fruit marinated in crystallized sunshine.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 28, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

3. Mmm. Looks good. I like making strawberry freezer jam.

The ad reminds me of staying up with my grandmother once until midnight to make a batch of currant jelly with currants that she and my grandfather had picked that morning in one of the canyons above Salt Lake City. I actually don’t remember anymore whether it was jelly or jam, but I do remember spending the time one-on-one with my grandmother.

Comment by Researcher — January 28, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

4. I loved melting the paraffin, too.

Comment by Mina — January 28, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

5. Ah yeah, the days when fructose was nothing but a possibility in a test tube (if that), farmers in south SL county raised sugar beets and worked at the ‘sugar’ mill to help make ends almost meet.

More than one of my Saturdays were spent hoeing beets in the heat so my friend could finish her row of beets and come and swim-in irrigation ditches.

As for strawberry jam- can there be a better way to get (crystallized) sunshine? And on fresh baked bread, with a bit of butter-heaven!!!

Comment by Diane Peel — January 29, 2010 @ 1:55 am

6. Seven cups of sugar to four cups of fruit?

There’s a ratio I can live with! (and my dentist too)

Comment by Mark B. — January 29, 2010 @ 5:55 am

7. I wish my mother believed sugar contained only sunshine and water. I would have been able to eat more of it!

Comment by Clark — January 29, 2010 @ 9:32 am

8. One of my goals in life is to arm you-all with the documentary evidence necessary — and what could possibly be more trustworthy and scientific than a recipe for the wholesome, home-bottled fruits of nature? — to restore the evidently lost doctrine that Israelite manna was really Mormon beet sugar.

[extracting tongue from cheek]

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 29, 2010 @ 9:41 am

9. Wow — did anyone else notice that hourglass figure of the woman holding the bag of sugar? Her waist is about the same size as her neck!

I wish eating sugar had that effect on my middle section!

Comment by Hunter — January 29, 2010 @ 10:04 am

10. It does have that effect on me, sorta — it makes my neck as thick as my middle.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 29, 2010 @ 11:04 am

11. When we were kids, we actually cut off pieces of the paraffin and chewed it until it was like tasteless gum. Did anyone else do that?

Researcher, I love making frozen Strawberry jam, too. Last spring my daughter-in-law and I made ten batches while I was teaching her how. We have been in “jam heaven” ever since.

Comment by Maurine — January 29, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

12. Ardis, you are on a roll today. Forgive me if this shows my ignorance and the fact that I haven’t seen all your sugar posts, but where is the ad from?

Comment by m&m — January 31, 2010 @ 2:02 am

13. Good catch, m&m. This one came from the Improvement Era (which is my excuse for posting it as Mormon history) from 1952.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 31, 2010 @ 9:09 am

14. I love the ‘excuse’ — I think it adds to the fun of the posts to have a Mormon history connection.

Comment by m&m — January 31, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

15. When we were kids, we actually cut off pieces of the paraffin and chewed it until it was like tasteless gum. Did anyone else do that?

Do the wax lips thingies count? I think they were like paraffin. ;)

Comment by m&m — January 31, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

16. Yeah, we used to chew the paraffin too. (But it didn’t take long until it was totally tasteless.

And the wax lips!

Ah, how we amused ourselves back in the olden days!

Comment by Mark B. — February 1, 2010 @ 8:38 am