Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » A Child’s History of the Church, part 2

A Child’s History of the Church, part 2

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 25, 2010

Artwork by Nelson White; text by unknown author

previous issue
next issue

to be continued …

1. Ardis, I only got the first three pictures to show up. The other five pages were blank. Did anyone else have this problem?

Comment by Maurine — January 24, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

2. I reloaded the pictures — there should be eight, which do show up on my screen this morning so I hope this is working now for everybody.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 25, 2010 @ 6:27 am

3. Yes, that’s fixed. Same mid-century style of artwork. That “enemy” photo could give a sensitive child the vapors.

Comment by Researcher — January 25, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

4. Moroni in #10 is an intimidating figure, while Joseph Smith in #13 strikes a heroic pose (I am reminded of a superhero with a billowing cape).

Comment by Justin — January 25, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

5. Are we seeing the seeds of Arnold Friberg’s inspiration? :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 25, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

6. I find it surprising that frame 16 specifically points out that The Three Witnesses never actually saw the gold plates, but instead had their existence and truth proclaimed to them by the voice of God.

Comment by Russ — January 31, 2010 @ 12:48 am

7. But it doesn’t say that — it says “An angel showed the golden record to these three witnesses,” which accords very well with what I’ve understood as the distinction between the roles of the Three and the Eight: that the Three were witnesses of the record’s divinity (because they testified to what they had been told by the voice of God and by the angel, and that the Eight were witnesses to the physical reality of the plates (because they saw and handled and felt and hefted the plates).

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 31, 2010 @ 8:15 am