Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Whole Year Through: LDS Business College, 1944

The Whole Year Through: LDS Business College, 1944

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 22, 2010

LDS Business College, the last remnant of the old Latter-day Saints University, remains in operation today, now in quarters only two or three years old (North Temple and 300 West, Salt Lake City). In 1944 and for years before and after, they were housed in the original LDSU building facing the temple, on the block now occupied by the LDS Church Office Building tower — the December ad shows the front of their building, and the June ad includes a creatively framed photograph of the gardens shared by the old Church Administration Building and the Hotel Utah, suggesting a wide park-like expanse which really was limited to the landscaped interior of a single city block. (Of course, Business College students also had easy access to the gardens at Temple Square right across the street.)

Here is their advertising campaign for1944, tied closely to the ongoing World War II.

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November: No advertisement located

December

1. As a higher education pr/marketing pro, I love it when you do these kinds of posts, Ardis. Especially since you show the whole campaign for the year.

That “emblem” in the first ad is fascinating to me — even more self-conscious than the accreditation body logos and copy used today.

One question: Why is the 1 next to Salt Lake City? Is that some sort of precursor to zip codes?

Comment by Wm Morris — January 22, 2010 @ 9:57 am

2. Thanks, Wm. Can you see that logo well enough, or should I post an enlargement of it?

The “1” is a city zone and is in fact a precursor to zip codes.(In the late ’80s, I won a small claims action against my slumlord for his valuation of a kitchen chair that had collapsed while I was responsible for it. I pointed out that the furniture company address on the tag attached to the underside of the seat included a city zone number, dating the chair to 1962 or earlier, and the judge ruled that the chair had no replacement value. I like city zone numbers!)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2010 @ 10:08 am

3. My parents attended LDS during the late 1920s before it became the business college, although my Dad did one year of what was then called Junior College. I suspect he wanted to stick around one more year to keep an eye on my mother, I have their old year books from 1926 to 1929. I loved looking through them as a child.

Although your post features the school in a later time, it brings back memories of my parents stories about old LDS.

Comment by Phoebe — January 22, 2010 @ 10:30 am

4. Phoebe, if they were at LDS then, they may have taken the business course (the part of the school that survived) or they may have taken a full university science-and-humanities course, or they may have trained to be teachers — do you happen to know which? Nobody seems to have written anything comprehensive about LDSU, although there are a lot of bits and pieces around, so I’m always interested in hearing more.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2010 @ 10:48 am

5. My folks always called it LDS high school, so I assumed they studied the general education subjects of the time. The year my Dad was at the JC he studied a business course. That was also the year he played basketball and the team won the state championship. George Romney was one of his teammates.

I looked through the yearbooks a couple of years ago and scanned a few pages. I was surprised at how many now familiar names I saw there–graduates who had become known in business, political and church activities. There should be a history of the school, but now that you bring it up, I don’t know of any.

I will think about this today and try to remember what they told us about those days. I’ll ask my sisters what they recall.

Comment by Phoebe — January 22, 2010 @ 11:17 am

6. That’s a great anecdote, Ardis. Thanks for the mini history lesson. It’s funny, you still encounter in popular culture how phone systems worked a half century and more ago, but postal stuff? Not so much.

And: I can see it well enough. I love that the tag line is “The Emblem of the Efficient School.” Trade/vocational schools still have a bit of a stigma and attitude that expresses itself in a similar sentiment.

Comment by Wm Morris — January 22, 2010 @ 11:20 am

7. Is the missing “C” from the front of “Ollege” in June meant to be a pun on the “shortsightedness” element of the ad?

Comment by Alison — January 22, 2010 @ 11:25 am

8. Alison, I s’pose we can allow for a dropped piece of type now and then. Unless, of course, it involves an apostrophe and BYU, in which case for some uncertain reason I am merciless.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2010 @ 11:35 am

9. The spambots have discovered this post and are doing their dangedest to bombard us with ads for online degrees!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

10. Its Ok Ardis. Ollege is such an obvious typo, it would not be a spelling error. Whereas a missing apostrophe is usually a spelling error, and a common one at that. Be merciless!

Comment by Bruce Crow — January 22, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

11. It is very interesting to see how the school was reacting to World War II progress in its ads. President Roosevelt signed the Servicemens Readjustment Act of 1944 (GI Bill of Rights) on the 20th of June. By October, the school was using it in its ads. In September, it was using the term: “postwar world”. It would be interesting to see the ads of 1945 as the December 1944 Battle of the Bulge and the February and April battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa including the devastating Kamikaze attacks chilled the outlook of a “postwar world” in the near future. I wish my memory could call up recollections of how I felt as a high school kid at the time. I do recall we were more concerned about our likely involvement in the last stages of the war with Japan than we were about what school we might attend after high school.

Comment by Curt A. — January 22, 2010 @ 3:52 pm

12. I have a framed diploma for my grandfather’s sister. She graduated from the 8th Grade from Centerville Elementary School in 1902, then went to the Latter-day Saints University. The diploma shows that she graduated from the Normal Courses on 28 May 1907. This would have been similar to our high school. She was nineteen and went on to teach in the Centerville Elementary. The diploma/certificate is about 28″ x 16″, I’m not exactly sure because it is framed with a matting on the front, and I’m not certain how much is behind the mat.

It is signed by Anton H. Lund, President of the Board; Arthur Winter, Secretary, Willard J. Young, Prsident of the University; and A. B. Christenson, Principal of the Department.

Comment by Maurine — January 22, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

13. Curt’s comment echoes my puzzlement at the mention of “returning veterans.” My dad’s enlistment was for “duration plus six months” which I think was the standard enlistment period for most G.I.s during World War II. As he spent late autumn 1944 in England, and winter and spring 1945 in France, he thought he would be lucky if the war against Japan ended in ’47, but it might be as late as ’48 or ’49, so any return to take advantage of the G.I. Bill was, in their minds, a long way off.

And, in typical army fashion, he wasn’t discharged until July 1946, which, whether you count from V-J Day or V-E Day, is longer than six months!

Comment by Mark B. — January 22, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

14. The GI Bill must have been passed prior to that ad — maybe it was aimed less at future veterans who hadn’t yet returned home, and more at simply lining up a share of those dollars by planting the idea of LDS Business College education in the minds of wives and mothers at home who might influence the vets whenever they did come home?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2010 @ 8:05 pm