Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “Winter,” with Evan Stephens and Our Phantom

“Winter,” with Evan Stephens and Our Phantom

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 20, 2010

Winter has kept most Keepa readers in the deep freeze for weeks, my Facebook friends are slipping and falling, and if I had a toboggan I could probably sail from my front door to the door of the Church History Library in a fraction of the time it takes me to pick my way gingerly over unshoveled walks.

It’s time to put a brave face on again and remember that winter can be fun — FUN, I tell you! — especially when we were children who didn’t have to commute over icy roads, or when we were young and/or romantic.

Here’s a song about that kind of winter, with words and music by prolific Mormon composer Evan Stephens, recorded especially for Keepa by our own Phantom of the Chapel. Enjoy — and be careful out there.

Click here for Phantom’s recording.

1. Well, if it weren’t 41 degrees outside, sunny and dry, I think I’d get my sled and head for the nearest hill!

Comment by Mark B. — January 20, 2010 @ 9:35 am

2. That’s beautiful! Thanks, Ardis and Phantom.

Comment by Alison — January 20, 2010 @ 10:08 am

3. Very nice. It’s a charming piece of music, and a lovely recording.

Comment by Researcher — January 20, 2010 @ 10:54 am

4. Yeah, Mark B. & Ardis, we’re sunny and warm(ish) (43 degrees) here today, too — hardly any ice or snow in sight. But thanks for the nice reminder about enjoying wintertime.

I enjoyed the recording, but it would be fun to hear it recorded with actual voices, especially that “Jing, jing-a-ling” part under the melody. Anyone want to organize that Keepa Choir (or is it “Keepa Khoir”?)

Thanks for this!

Comment by Hunter — January 20, 2010 @ 11:12 am

5. I agree with Hunter. It would be a treat to hear this song actually sung, although Phantom did a great job again of bringing these songs to life. Thanks.

Comment by Maurine — January 20, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

6. I’m up for a Keepa-singing-along. Say Amen, somebody!

Comment by Chad Too — January 21, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

7. Amen, brother! (Now we just have to work out the technical details. Anybody?)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2010 @ 7:45 am