Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Before the Gospel Art Kit (II): Old Testament Story Challenge

Before the Gospel Art Kit (II): Old Testament Story Challenge

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 04, 2010

The images used here come from a set of Biblical story pictures that were the most commonly used illustrations for LDS Sunday Schools from at least the 1940s through the 1960s. They are not original to us; rather, they come from some Biblical art supply company. I have not yet been able to identify that company, although I find these images in Biblical art collections all over the Internet.

Since these are the pictures that appear so often in LDS manuals and mounted on cardboard in meetinghouse libraries, they likely contributed strongly to the mental image of these scriptural stories in the minds of two or three generations of Latter-day Saint children.

How many stories can YOU identify from these pictures?

Some are very easy; others are extremely difficult, in my subjective evaluation (how many stories might be illustrated by a man in robes standing in the desert?). Identify up to six images — if you can amass at least ten points in those six answers, then you win a Genuine Certified Guaranteed Get-Out of Gospel Doctrine Class Free Card, good for one Sunday School session spent in the hallway instead of in class — backed, of course, with all the authority vested in me to grant such dispensation. If you want to run for Keepa Champion by racking up the highest score of all, identify six pictures on-blog, then send your other identifications to keepapitchinin [at] aol [dot] com.

Ready? Up to six identifications — leave the rest for others, please.

Value: One Point

61 and 62:

63 and 64:

65 and 66:

67 and 68:

69:

84 Comments

1. 54: Isaac’s peace treaty with Abimelech?

Comment by Justin — January 4, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

2. Extra point for knowing Abimelech, Justin — the answer key just refers to Isaac as a peacemaker.

Okay, the answers are going up in the next comment. Stop reading if you want to keep playing!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 4, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

65 – Jonah Preaching at Nineveh
    66 – Jacob Before Pharaoh
    67 – Isaiah’s Vision
    68 – Jeremiah
    69 – Samuel, the Victorious Leader

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 4, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

4. Darn, got here too late. But I did surprise myself with knowing much more of the OT than I certainly thought I did—I could ID 32 of them! Probably the easiest in the bunch, though.

The Samson rending the pillars is especially nice and other than the somewhat interchangeable “bathrobed” bearded patriarchs, all the art has interesting touches. Sadly, I’m pretty sure I never saw any of these in church (perhaps their use faded out mid-60’s?) because I think I’d remember some of the imagery.

Comment by Mina — January 4, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

5. I have most of these! My mom was the ward librarian when the building was updating the library, and she took most of the discarded pictures and gave them to me.

Comment by michnellelurv — January 4, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

6. I would never have guessed Abraham and Lot for #38. There’s nothing in the picture to differentiate two guys looking over a piece of land from any other two guys.

Comment by Dan — January 4, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

7. Suuuure, Mina, now you know all the answers! :)

Cool, michnellelurv! If you have a chance to check and report back, I’d love to know if there is any indication of date anywhere on your pictures.

Dan, I’m with you — there’s nothing distinctive. The picture does fairly illustrate the event, but there’s nothing in the illustration to point conclusively to this story over the several others that were proposed.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 4, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

8. #43, The picture of Joseph making himself known to his brothers, like most of the other Egypt pictures has a palm tree in it. My husband just noticed a new painting of Joseph making himself known to his brothers, in the January Ensign, page 41; lo and behold, the same palm tree.

Comment by Maurine — January 4, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

9. Ardis, this has been great fun. I blew a whole morning playing your game, but it was worth it. Thanks.

Comment by Maurine — January 4, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

10. @michnellelurv: would you consider scanning your collection and posting them as a Flickr set?

Comment by Mina — January 4, 2010 @ 7:03 pm

11. Mina, they’re probably way too big to scan without special equipment. The mounted pictures I remember were, like, 11×17 or bigger, meant to be seen from the back of the junior Sunday School room.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 4, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

12. Junior Sunday School. There’s a term I haven’t heard in a while. Like when the 60-ish lady passed me in the hall on my way to scouts Wednesday night and asked where “the M.I.A” met… so quaint!

Comment by Clark — January 4, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

13. Thanks, Ardis. What a fun way to fritter away our last morning of vacation.

Comment by Jami — January 4, 2010 @ 8:04 pm

14. Aw dagnabbit, foiled by picture blocker at work, then family home evening. The game was over. :(

But I got 45 right. Which is why I have a permanent get out of Sunday School Pass (it’s called teach Valiant 11 in Primary).

Comment by Coffinberry — January 4, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

15. Oh, I’m just full of quaint, Clark: Hectograph. Sunday School superintendent. Prayer meeting. Ditto-Master. Honor Bee. Drama specialist. June conference. Merrihands. Moonbeams. 2-1/2 minute talk. Practice hymn. Birthday pennies. Binding of the sheaves. Book of Remembrance. (Had enough?)

That’s right, Jami, I live not only to keep myself from being productive, but to thwart all your attempts at meeting your New Year’s resolutions, too!

Sorry, Coffinberry. I made a Word document with all the pictures, ready to send to you and to offer to anyone else whose work servers blocked access, but it was waaaay to big to upload. Then I tried to post the pictures in a document behind the scenes that you could download from Keepa, but it was still so big that it would have taken a dozen files to squeeze past the limits of my own server. There has to be a way, but I couldn’t find it.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 5, 2010 @ 1:17 am

16. Wow — 65 comments! Keepapitchinin is getting a good start in the new year.

Comment by Hunter — January 5, 2010 @ 1:38 am

17. Does it count if a third of the comments are mine? But Happy New Year anyway!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 5, 2010 @ 2:02 am

18. That’s ok Ardis. I knew when you announced it I would be coming late to the party. But it was fun to play anyway! Thanks for all the work!

Comment by Coffinberry — January 5, 2010 @ 5:20 am

19. I didn’t read the entire introduction, so I failed to note the prize–I just thought it would be fun to participate. However, since I am the “tutor” for a special needs child in Primary, I am pretty much never in Gospel Doctrine anyway.

Comment by Eric Boysen — January 5, 2010 @ 7:28 am

20. So is the current Harry Anderson and Robert Barrett art better than this, or just different? It’s certainly not as bright. I kind of like the old stuff; it’s different, new, and nostalgic all at the same time. (Kind of like the rest of this blog!)

And Ardis could do a whole blog post on her comment #19 titled, “Best Old Testament Scenes Never Illustrated.” Heber’s wife and the tent peg, Jezebel “feeding” the dogs, Lot and his daughters, Tamar and Judah, Dagon the philistine god and the Ark, Saul “utterly destroying” the Amaleckites. The topics are endless…

Comment by Clark — January 5, 2010 @ 9:41 am

21. Addition to the “Best Old Testament Scenes Never Illustrated”: The Philistines and the Plague of Emerods

Comment by kevinf — January 5, 2010 @ 10:19 am

22. Clark started it, but you’re piling it on, kevinf!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 5, 2010 @ 10:54 am

23. Wow! I had no idea the originals were so big. I know now I definitely never saw them.

Comment by Mina — January 5, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

24. Re: 65 – Apparently, the “Honor Bee” isn’t so quaint anymore. I just read in this month’s New Era that it has been resurrected as a charm that the YW can earn to put on the chain of their Young Womanhood medallion. (I don’t know what it was in it’s previous iteration, though!)

Comment by Kajabada — January 6, 2010 @ 12:02 am

25. And to Ardis goes the prize for the loudest groan elicited by anything in the Bloggernacle all year. (I know the year is young, but I’m betting that “piling on” will be at the top of the list in 11 months and 24 days.)

Comment by Mark B. — January 6, 2010 @ 8:33 am

26. Thank you, Mark, thank you. {takes bow}

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 6, 2010 @ 9:44 am

27. I’m way behind, but just had to say wow. Awesome.

Comment by m&m — January 7, 2010 @ 11:39 pm

28. I remember a time when I thought emerods were jewels. . .

BTW, what DOES a golden emerod look like? Do you make them with a lost wax casting? If so, how do you make the original mold?

Comment by Eric Boysen — January 8, 2010 @ 7:46 am

29. I skipped over all the answers so as not to cheat. I know most of them. I’m only going to list the ones i wasn’t sure about–
    40 i think is Abraham and Lot
    58 May be the Children of Israel going to Babylon
    59 Looks like King Benjamin (smile–I know this isn’t BoM)
    65 Could be “The Lord is My Shepherd” (Psalms)
    Last two without numbers

Comment by MARJORIE CONDER — January 8, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

30. Darn–I didn’t notice the whole thing was already over, and I missed the prize announcement too. I really could use one, or three or six or twenty-five of those.(Smile)

Comment by MARJORIE CONDER — January 8, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

31. S’okay, Marjorie — you had fun anyway, didn’t you? :)

If you want to match up pictures with the answer key given in Comment #5, use the numbers that appear above each pair of pictures, or else they won’t make sense.

And I have just as much authority to give you a get-out-of-class-free card as I have to give anyone else!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 8, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

32. Okay, your pics are not labeled correctly and I want to contest #68, which you claim is Jeremiah. The photo is labeled “Jacob Before Pharoah” in jpg format. I found this out by hitting “save as”.

Anyhow…I needed a pic of Jeremiah for a Sunday School lesson. I am overseas and our library is nearly non- existent.

Comment by Mark S — November 13, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

33. Ha! Gotcha! :) The numerical indications (“67 and 68”) appear at the top of the relevant images. You clicked on the picture above as if those numbers appeared at the bottom of the relevant pair.

In any case, I hope you found something that will help you in your lesson.

I’ll have a similar set of pictures up for the New Testament. If you don’t find something you need and you plan far enough ahead (say, a week or ten days), I may be able to find and post something to help.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 13, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

34. I was just surfing around – thank you for posting this fun game and the answers. I enjoyed testing my Old Testament knowledge and testing my ability to distinguish guys in robes :)

Comment by Janell the Great — November 29, 2010 @ 12:03 pm