Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The New Year a-Knocking

The New Year a-Knocking

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 31, 2009

Like just about every other blogger, I planned on doing a year-end summary — but only Keepa would have this wonderful graphic from the Relief Society Magazine to mark the passing from one year to another!

But rather than list a bunch of stats or my favorite posts, I only have a few superlatives to share –

* Greatest pleasure: Meeting so many Keepa readers face-to-face or through personal friendships developed through private email. I may have had to go as far as Pennsylvania to meet some of you; others have said hello to me in the library, or we’ve met for breakfast; most of you I already knew, but at least one — a reader in Texas — has never yet commented. It is fun to meet you all.

* Greatest regret: Losing Tatiana as a commenter through a misunderstanding.

* Most fun email attachment: Jami’s photos of her chickens, named Keepa, Pitch, and Indy.

* Most exciting addition to Keepa: The organ and piano recordings made by the Phantom. They add a whole new dimension to the blog, and there will be more, non-Christmas, recordings of early 20th century Mormon music in the new year.

We’ve had a happy 2009 together — here’s to a Happy New Year for all Keepa’ninnies and your families.

1. Happy New Year!

I really did not read Keepa before 2009 and I look forward to being more involved in 2010.

Comment by Chris Henrichsen — December 31, 2009 @ 6:56 am

2. As someone who bumped into you at the old genealogical library, it was nice to meet you and thanks for help that day. Keep up the great work.

Comment by Sanford — December 31, 2009 @ 8:56 am

3. Congratulations, Ardis, on a wonderful year. Without actually going back and looking to prompt my memory, some of my favorite posts have been the ones about Brigham Young. And of course the Christmas music collection. Some of the discussions have been very interesting. And it was a highlight of the year to have you come visit! When can you come again? :)

By the way, I miss Tatiana as well!

Comment by Researcher — December 31, 2009 @ 9:49 am

4. Chris, I look forward to your comments (and I hope this one is emailed to you).

Thanks for saying hi, Sanford!

Researcher, how ’bout next Tuesday? Oh, you didn’t mean that soon? :) Every minute of that trip was fun … and I wonder if I could keep up with a certain little boy next year?

One of the memorable discussions for me was the one bfwebster sparked, on Mormons and the history of marijuana law. That was a post that was greatly improved the first day by input from people like Justin and J.Stapley, and it has sent my stats through the roof some days, like the day this fall when 2,000+ visitors showed up after somebody featured it at stumbleupon. But more important than stats, I like best in general any voice from the past that shows affectionately who we were and who went before.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 31, 2009 @ 10:04 am

5. Happy New Year, Ardis. I was also pleased to meet you in person at the CHL in August, and I’m just sorry I was under such a short schedule that I didn’t get the chance to sit down and talk some more. It’s been nice to have a nice place in the bloggernacle to visit. It seems that civility has taken a hit elsewhere this year, so keep up the good work.

Comment by kevinf — December 31, 2009 @ 10:19 am

6. All the best for the New Year, Ardis!

Maybe this year you can get inside the library–I mean the one with the lions in front!

Comment by Mark B. — December 31, 2009 @ 11:48 am

7. Wonderful work, Ardis. I am consistently impressed by the quality of writing here and the impressive breadth of subjects you cover. Some memorable posts from 2009: sand tables, Walter Noblin, the opening of the cornerstone, the reviews of the new church history library [and here and here and here], the Vestris posts [and here] (including the comments from relatives), How I Got Hooked, BY’s Swimmin’ Hole, the Great Mormon Marijuana Myth, the Tabernacle Under Attack, James and Sophie Anderson, Sarah Wheatcroft: Service for the Dead, Briefing Mormon Families on the New Media (the photographs of television watching), Illustrated Book of Mormon Stories, Mormon Teachings on Race Relations, and the Ugliest Post.

Comment by Justin — December 31, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

8. I hereby resolve to get to the CHL at some point this year to meet you in person, my Piute County cousin!

Comment by Chad Too — December 31, 2009 @ 1:09 pm

9. Yoohoo – reader in Tx and fan ‘xtraoirdinaire here. Does this count? I think so.

From the ghost of blog-year past. aka lurker and learner.

So fun to meet you. Learned so much at your hands this year. Such a blessing of understanding and insight on this blog.

Sadly – I have no chickens to name in commemoration. Or I surely would!

Happy new year!

Comment by lj — December 31, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

10. Happy New Year. It has been really fun, uplifting, and enlightening. All I can say is more of the same please.

Comment by Bruce Crow — January 1, 2010 @ 12:58 am

11. I look forward to every post. Keep up the good stories and information.

Comment by Maurine — January 1, 2010 @ 10:17 am

12. This is my favorite LDS blog, because it sheds so much light on the day-to-day lives of Latter-day Saints in the early 20th century.

Speaking of which, when are you going to write that book? :-) Happy New Year, Ardis. ..bruce..

Comment by bfwebster — January 1, 2010 @ 11:45 am

13. You all are so nice to me. Quite the antidote for short cold days and long cold nights!

And thanks especially to you, Justin, for remembering some of your favorite posts. I hope you won’t mind, but I’m going to go back and remark those into links.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 1, 2010 @ 11:49 am

14. Sand tables. I forgot those. Those were great.

Comment by Mina — January 1, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

15. You’re welcome, Ardis. I enjoyed reading through the year’s posts again.

Comment by Justin — January 1, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

16. By the way, Justin, I emailed Joseph Soderborg to be sure he knew that you included his cornerstone post among the highlights of the year. That ought to please him.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 1, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

17. Happy New Year, Keepapitchinin! And best wishes to all you who comprise the “Keepa Nation.” 2009 has been a fantastic year here. Thanks.

(P.S. Justin, but how did you access the year’s posts? A particular search?)

Comment by Hunter — January 1, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

18. Actually, Hunter, it was fairly low tech. I simply started here and hit “previous page” to go through the year.

Comment by Justin — January 2, 2010 @ 6:15 am