Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » A Sugar Ad Worth Framing

A Sugar Ad Worth Framing

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 17, 2009

I really, really like this one from the Improvement Era of June 1944 — if anybody had an original copy of the magazine and wanted to sell it, I’d make a bid.

1. Hm, that’s nice. It is also true that canning uses tons of sugar. I could probably last on 4 cups of granulated sugar a year for the cooking I usually do (not including sugar already in things I buy, of course). But for canning, I go out and buy the bag that weighs as much as my preschooler.

Comment by sister blah 2 — December 17, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

2. I would frame that and hang it in my kitchen.

Comment by Tracy M — December 17, 2009 @ 7:09 pm

3. Would you include the caption in the framed part? I totally would.

Comment by Mommie Dearest — December 17, 2009 @ 8:19 pm

4. Yup. I totally would. That’s what makes it great, and not just a pretty picture of domesticity.

My sugar use is similar to yours, SB2, and my kitchen tastes must be similar to yours, Tracy.

I’d probably like this in any case, but in contrast to the screaming, frantic, busy exaggerations of other sugar ads, this is actually more effective. Advertising agencies, take note!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 17, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

5. I like also how the brand of the sugar isn’t blared in the ad — it’s noticeable, but it’s presented in the context of the product itself (or its packaging).

What does U and I stand for?

Comment by Wm Morris — December 17, 2009 @ 8:52 pm

6. Utah and Idaho — pure beet sugar.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 17, 2009 @ 9:19 pm

7. But wasn’t sugar rationed? I’m confused.

I agree it would make a great framable art. Sort of an intermountain answer to “stay calm and carry on.”

Comment by Johnna — December 18, 2009 @ 1:00 am

8. It was rationed, Johnna, but in season you could get more sugar for canning. (There may have been some mechanism in place to assure that you were using it for canning and not stashing it away for Christmas candy making, but if so I don’t know what that was.) The thinking was that the more food that was raised and preserved at home for civilian use, the more there would be available for military use raised and shipped through the usual channels.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 18, 2009 @ 2:07 am

9. Speaking of sugar rationing, in our Christmas concert, the story was told of women who sneaked molasses to make candy for the children at a difficult time. Does that ring a bell, Ardis?

Comment by m&m — December 18, 2009 @ 2:44 am

10. I don’t know that story, m&m.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 18, 2009 @ 8:56 am

11. Canned apricots… hadn’t thought of those in a while. This illustration needs to be added to the inventory of the Kepapitchinin Store.

Comment by Clark — December 18, 2009 @ 9:30 am

12. Agree with Clark. It’s a keepa!

Comment by Mina — December 18, 2009 @ 12:57 pm

13. Heh, good one, Mina.

Comment by Hunter — December 18, 2009 @ 3:44 pm

14. The story about the pioneer woman sneaking molasses for Christmas baking or candy for the children in the whole community while the men were away, is told in one of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers books on Christmas stories. I have read it before, but don’t know exactly which book it is in.

Comment by Maurine — December 18, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

15. Go to the DUP homepage – click “Bookstore and Gifts” on the left navigation. On the next screen, on the right-hand side, click “Pamphlets”.
    It might be #65 “Pioneer Christmas Stories”.

Link to DUP bookstore for recipe books and more storybooks

Also, this article talks about how hard it was to get sweeteners and how the pioneers worked hard to get sugar and molasses which were very precious.

Comment by Allison — December 21, 2009 @ 1:09 pm