Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1934

Latter-day Saint Images, 1934

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 16, 2009

Another page from our family photo album:

(I wish the reproduction quality were better. Most of these come from magazines printed on cheap, yellowing paper, and the inking quality was not always of the best. Think of it as looking back through the mists of time and make it a feature, not a flaw.)

Scouts of Hull, England,

Kanab, Utah, Stake Relief Society Board

Parker Ward, Yellowstone Stake
“College of Opportunity” Pageant

Lewiston, Idaho, 1st Ward Relief Society

Karl Maeser’s Former Students
BYU Founder’s Day

1. we don’t take pictures like these anymore.

Comment by Dan — December 16, 2009 @ 6:55 am

2. Quite a few from Britain.

I like that chapel in Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii. They don’t build them like that anymore. I wish ours looked like that.

Comment by Steve C. — December 16, 2009 @ 6:58 am

3. They don’t make stake centers like that one in Lehi anymore, either. That gym–or should I say “cultural hall”–is huge!

Comment by Clark — December 16, 2009 @ 8:38 am

4. The Indians in the Idaho ward are awesome! Those must have been great days.

The Sisters from Kanab all look pretty mad, but then I realized…

Comment by chris — December 16, 2009 @ 10:24 am

5. Great pics, thanks! I was intrigued by the formality and pomp evident in the English Gold & Green Balls. The comparison to the ladies from Kanab is striking.

By the way, is that Heber J. Grant standing in the back row of that last photo (BYU Founder’s Day)? Second from left?

Comment by Hunter — December 16, 2009 @ 10:24 am

6. Chris, I’m guessing that the Indians might be whites in costume for a pageant of some kind, just like the couple in back who look like they might have dropped in from George Washington’s days. But I don’t know for sure — the posing of this group certainly looks more like a normal ward pose than the cast of a show.

I see who you mean, Hunter. You may be right, and there certainly must be some very prominent people in this grouping if we only had all their names.

I like the way that, although there are still branches, these pictures reflect a well established church that can support frills like pageants and scouts and banquets and balls, and has been around long enough to commemorate its own history with something like the Founder’s Day at BYA/BYU.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 16, 2009 @ 10:47 am

7. ardis, do you think that converting these images to pixels may be the only thing that will preserve them? we’re going from CD to DVD to who knows what, but changing digital forms should be easier and more backward compatible than trying to eke details out of fading ink and disintegrating paper.

Comment by ellen — December 16, 2009 @ 10:49 am

8. The Church has microfilmed, and I think digitized, the old magazines, so these images will be preserved in some form, at least. The paper copies certainly won’t last forever. (The rag paper used in the early decades of the Millennial Star still looks fresher and is far less crumbly than the acid wood pulp that was used for the Young Woman’s Journal and Liahona: The Elder’s Journal, especially.)

Someone with the time and the right skills could probably already do quite a bit to clean up and sharpen up these images. Maybe Keepa can contribute to that just be creating an awareness of and interest in these images of our past, scattered through the pages of so many old periodicals.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 16, 2009 @ 11:24 am

9. BYU founders’ day–It does look like HJ Grant in the back. It kind of looks like DO McKay to his left and JR Clark in between and below them. That said, I’m not sure McKay would have been in the First Presidency at that point.

The LDS basketball team picture is good. I know that during the 1930s the LDS team won the championship in England, though I don’t recall the year. That was a way missionaries proselyted. Missionaries enjoyed it. And the Church not only could make contacts with non-members and do PR work, but the impression that I have gotten in my research is that it emphasized the benefits of healthy living from the Word of Wisdom at a time the Church was stressing the WofW.

Comment by Steve C. — December 16, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

10. There are several familiar looking faces in that BYU picture. Too bad there weren’t captions with all the names.

I also looked very closely at the Montpelier Idaho picture. My mother and her family grew up in Bennington and Montpelier, but I don’t know which ward. My mother would only have been 10, but my grandmother could be in there. The picture quality makes it hard to tell, though, and I only knew her as a much older person. I’m glad these pictures are being preserved in some way.

Comment by kevinf — December 16, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

11. I wouldn’t let those Spuds off so easily. I hear they like to dress up like George Washington on a daily basis in Idaho. (the thought crossed my mind that an Indian Chief wasn’t a member of the ward as I was posting, but a man can dream can’t he?)

Comment by chris — December 16, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

12. By golly, you’re right, chris!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 16, 2009 @ 2:03 pm

13. There is quite a contrast between the RS board of Kanab and the RS board of St. George, although it may possibly be just the quality of the pictures. If the quality were better, we might see more happy faces in the Kanab picture. There is a hint of a couple, at any rate.

Comment by Maurine — December 16, 2009 @ 10:27 pm

14. BYU founders’ day–It does look like HJ Grant in the back. It kind of looks like DO McKay to his left and JR Clark in between and below them. That said, I’m not sure McKay would have been in the First Presidency at that point.

To me, the man in between and below looks like John A. Widtsoe. In any event, I’ve found that HJG spoke at that particular Founders’ Day (October 1934), and DOM was sustained a member of the First Presidency that same month, so the identifications are very plausible.

Comment by Justin — December 17, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

15. Justin, you are awesome. Thanks.

Comment by Hunter — December 17, 2009 @ 3:37 pm

16. Justin,

Can you tell me where you might have found the picture of the Kapaa Chapel? My father was serving a mission there at the time and helped to build the chapel, i believe the one in Kapaa.. Is that chapel the first of those to be built on the Kauai?

Comment by Steven Dunn — March 30, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

17. That photo is a scan of one published in the Instructor (the Sunday School magazine) in 1934. No other information was provided beyond the location. They used pictures of chapels and Sunday School groups like this as fillers.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 30, 2010 @ 3:38 pm