Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » I thought I liked Postum, but maybe not this much

I thought I liked Postum, but maybe not this much

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 16, 2009

Did you ever try it this way? I’d never heard of it before seeing this advertisement from a 1956 issue of the Improvement Era:

1. I MISS Postum. I am now drinking Cafix or Caro, and they are inadequate substitutes that I have to drowned out with mint flavoring.

Go Postum. Hot or cold, I am ready for it.

Who ever yanked Postum from the shelves will have to pay a price in heaven. Yes, I think they serve Postum at the Judgment Bar. One sugar cube, please, and add one wintergreen LIfeSaver. Nevermind. Hold the wintergreen. I just want pure Postum.

Comment by S.Faux — December 16, 2009 @ 12:35 pm

2. I’ve had it cold. Let’s just say that Postum and revenge have little in common.

Comment by Steve Evans — December 16, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

3. My recipe for a Postum milkshake would go something like this:

two scoops of ice cream
    some milk
    some strawberries
    and a banana, or part of one

Put it all in the blender and mix it up, and pour into a tall glass.

Then take two teaspoons of Postum and throw them in the garbage.

Enjoy the milkshake. :-)

Comment by Mark B. — December 16, 2009 @ 1:09 pm

4. I love how we never run out of things to say about Postum!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 16, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

5. I bet you could do a hot chocolate-Postum mocha and turn it in to an iced version and it would be fairly tasty (assuming you like Postum in the first place).

Comment by Wm Morris — December 16, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

6. My parents loved Postum.. I could never figure it out. The only way I could drink it was loaded with sugar, and even then it tasted nasty. I’m with Mark on this one.

Comment by kevinf — December 16, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

7. Here’s another data point about using a coffee substitute in a dairy concoction:

In Germany we would sometimes drink Caro-Kaffee, which is also a coffee substitute. Wasn’t bad, but wasn’t particularly good either. One time my missionary companion and I went to dinner at a member’s house. The good sister wanted to make a Mocha Cream Cake (like this) but of course, couldn’t serve mocha to the sister missionaries (at least that’s what she said!) so she substituted Caro-Kaffee for the coffee. It was a lovely cream cake despite the strong Caro flavor.

Comment by Researcher — December 16, 2009 @ 2:10 pm

8. I’m with Mark and kevinf. I’m strictly a hot (and cold) chocolate milk/cocoa fan, and could never understand the popularity of Postum because I thought it was nasty.

Comment by Maurine — December 16, 2009 @ 10:31 pm

9. My only experience with Postum was about 12 years ago when I tried a cup. The mix itself was about 12 years old (i.e., it was purchased in about 1985), but I have no desire to try it again.

Comment by Justin — December 17, 2009 @ 10:54 am

10. It’s a coffee-free frappuccino!

Comment by David B — December 17, 2009 @ 1:02 pm

11. My FIL used to drink it until they stopped selling it. I sent him the ad – he said he never tried it cold.

I just checked eBay – one jar is going for $51 right now!

Comment by FHL — December 17, 2009 @ 5:04 pm

12. Expired Postum – only $209.99!

Comment by Reed Russell — December 24, 2009 @ 1:00 pm

13. I love Postum. I bought some from the Canadian branch of the company just after I found out that Postum production was discontinued. I have been slowly drinking it ever since, worrying that one day it would be gone and hoping that before it was gone, that the company would reconsider and make it again.
    The best way to fix it is Hot with sugar and canned milk to tone it down a bit, when you get the formula just right it is delicious! (But let it cool a little after everything is mixed together before you drink it or you will burn your tongue.)

I have good news for those who enjoy Postum I found it in stores again just a few months ago just over $12 dollars.

Comment by Anne Judd — May 4, 2013 @ 2:39 am