Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Wilford Woodruff’s First Mission, part 14 (Graphic History)

Wilford Woodruff’s First Mission, part 14 (Graphic History)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 13, 2009

Adapted from Leaves from My Journal, by Wilford Woodruff; artwork by Douglas Johnson.

to be continued …

Text from Leaves from My Journal

… I had to cross Bloody River, which I had to swim in consequence of heavy rains. While crossing, my horse became entangled in a tree top, and almost drowned; but I succeeded in getting him loose. We swam to the shore separately. He reached the shore first, and waited until I came out. I got into the saddle, and went on my way in good spirits, and had a good meeting.

On the 20th of October I baptized three Campbellites, one of whom was a deacon. I then rode twelve miles to Mr. Greenwood’s, who was eighty years old, and had been a soldier under General Washington. His wife, who was ninety-three years old, I found quite smart, and busy carding wool. I preached at their house, and baptized both of them.

On the following day I preached at the house of Benjamin L. Clapp and baptized seven Campbellites and one Baptist. On the 16th of November I preached at Brother Camp’s and baptized three. On the day following, it being Sunday, I preached again at Brother Clapp’s and baptized five. At the close of the meeting I mounted my horse to ride to Clark’s River, in company with Seth Utley, four other brethren and two sisters. The distance was twenty miles.

We came to a stream which was so swollen by rains, that we could not cross without swimming our horses. To swim would not be safe for the females, so we went up the stream to find a ford. In the attempt we were overtaken by a severe storm of wind and rain, and lost our way in the darkness, and wandered through creeks and mud. But the Lord does not forsake His Saints in any of their troubles. …

Wilford Woodruff’s First Mission (Graphic History) part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8, part 9, part 10, part 11, part 12, part 13, part 14, part 15, part 16, part 17, part 18

1. Is a version of this available for purchase? I would like to purchase something like this for my grandson.

Comment by Floyd the Wonderdog — December 13, 2009 @ 7:07 am

2. Floyd, this was published in the Children’s Friend mid-century; I know of no place where it is in print today, other than Keepa.

I’m glad you like it that well, though.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 13, 2009 @ 7:54 am

3. And the story continues. Love it.

Comment by Bruce Crow — December 13, 2009 @ 1:02 pm

4. I seem to remember seeing this series in the Friend, perhaps in older issues, when I was a child. I find Douglas Johnson’s dramatization of the journal entertaining.

Comment by Stephen Taylor — December 13, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

5. I like the cliff-hangers. :-) ..bruce..

Comment by bfwebster — December 13, 2009 @ 7:35 pm

6. Up to 14. And what a master of suspense. How many are there?

Comment by ricke — December 13, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

7. Eighteen altogether. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 13, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

8. That’s neat that he found some Campbellites in the south. They seemed receptive just like those in Kirkland.

Comment by Steve C. — December 13, 2009 @ 8:49 pm

9. Decent graphic-novel treatment of the story before there were any graphic novels.

I have to say, though, that it’s a shame they don’t sell quick-drying self-pressing suits any more like the one he’s wearing in panel three.

Comment by David B — December 13, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

10. Steve, the Campbellites really loved the LDS message in Tennessee. At least, the members did. The ministers not so much.

Comment by Bruce Crow — December 14, 2009 @ 11:13 am

11. David B., that was my thought, too. Out of the river and back on his horse in a jiffy! Heh.

Comment by Hunter — December 14, 2009 @ 11:21 am

12. David B & Hunter: Isn’t that the purpose of Swedish Knit suits?

Comment by Steve C. — December 14, 2009 @ 3:16 pm