Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Whole Year Through: Deseret Book Ads, 1956

The Whole Year Through: Deseret Book Ads, 1956

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 09, 2009

What’s for sale at Deseret Book in 1956, and how do they pitch it to LDS readers?

January 1956

February 1956

March 1956

April 1956

May 1956

June 1956

July 1956

August 1956

September 1956

October 1956

November 1956

December 1956

1. Should commas separate pre, fixes from their root word?

Comment by Eric Boysen — December 9, 2009 @ 8:26 am

2. I’m too groggy at the moment, Eric — is that something I did, or something DesBk does? (which month?) Because obvious, ly that is something one should do only with suffixes.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 9, 2009 @ 8:37 am

3. Regarding the J. Reuben Clark book addressing whether the King James Version should be abandoned for substitutes:

Should prejudice overrule faith?

Should doubts of scholars supplant revelation from God?

Should “higher criticism” crowd out divine wisdom?

Ha! I’m hoping these silly rhetorical and leading questions were the product of some ad writer, and not Attorney Clark . . .

Comment by Hunter — December 9, 2009 @ 9:13 am

4. Deseret Book is and has always been…Deseret Book.

Hunter: I’ll try to find my copy of Why the King James Version and see if those are J.R. Clark’s ideas or not.

Comment by Steve C. — December 9, 2009 @ 9:27 am

5. Good stuff! I’d forgotten about my dad’s “zipper bible” until I saw it in the second ad.

Many of these have become classics, and I’ve been able to pick up more than a few at DI for about the same price they were originally sold for!

The biggest difference I see between Deseret Book then and now is that most of these books (except for the youth selections) are non-fiction, and most of them are written by apostles. Today’s DesBook catalogue is nearly all lightweight Mormon fiction, with very few new books authored by Apostles. (a sign of their–the apostles–workload?) I’m not saying its good or bad. I’m just sayin’…

Comment by Clark — December 9, 2009 @ 9:27 am

6. It is NOT you Ardis. See the May 1956 ad:

“Why The King James Version

. . . Should prejudice over , rule faith?”

Comment by Eric Boysen — December 9, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

7. Hurray! For once I’m not responsible! (It’s so much more fun to be irresponsible.) :D

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 9, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

8. Possible reasons why there are fewer books by apostles:

Higher workload not leaving enough time (I hope so. The alternatives are not pretty)

Less interest in writing books and more on alternative media (see the impressive number of TV shows, radio programs, feature length movies and web sites that are authored by or starring general authorities! ;) )

It has all been said already (We have a Bible — and a Book of Mormon too!)

Illiteracy. (Do you like to read? NO. Living scriptures anyone?)

Can’t get published (Hey, isn’t DB a vanity press for GAs?)

No interest in their message. (Ultimately I fear this is the one.)

Comment by Eric Boysen — December 9, 2009 @ 1:45 pm

9. Oops, I forgot correlation!

Comment by Eric Boysen — December 9, 2009 @ 1:47 pm

10. Living scripture cartoons taking the place of Smith and Sjodahl, McConkie, Clark, and Talmage? The horror!

Comment by Clark — December 10, 2009 @ 9:33 am