Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Keepa’s Christmas Gift Giving Guide, page 1

Keepa’s Christmas Gift Giving Guide, page 1

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 04, 2009

From multiple issues of The Children’s Friend in 1951 and 1952:

1. *cough* Keepa store *cough*

just sayin’

Comment by Mina — December 4, 2009 @ 9:10 am

2. (thinkin’ about it)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 4, 2009 @ 10:12 am

3. What, may I ask, is a Trail Builder?

Comment by Researcher — December 4, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

4. “Trail Builders” was the overall label for the boys’ Primary classes (Blazers, Trekkers, and Guides), like the girls’ classes were called “Lihomas.” The symbols you see on the shirt — the hatchet, wagon wheel, and arrow — are the symbols of the individual classes.

Sorry I didn’t explain … I forget that not everybody is as old as dirt and remembers these things directly!

Comment by Ardis Parshall — December 4, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

5. Your explanation to the youngsters, Ardis, caused me to look more carefully at the photograph. And not only are there those three symbols for the three boy’s classes, but there’s the pine tree. Whatever it symbolized–I’ve long since forgotten–a lovely green plastic pine tree was right at the bottom of every boy’s bandlo. The green didn’t show up very well against the green of the bandlo, compared to the yellow Blazers hatchet, the blue Trekkers wheel, and the red arrow of the Guide Patrol.

When you start selling these shirts, I trust that they’ll be in full color!

Comment by Mark B. — December 4, 2009 @ 3:01 pm

6. Yeah, I’ll work on that, Mark! The green pine tree symbolized the entire Trail Builder program, like the pink house represented the Lihomas. And although it’s far from complete, you can get a refresher course on bandlo symbolism from a very old post, A Bundle of Bandlos — for people like you and me, older than dirt, which both allows us to remember the bandlos and causes us to forget the details.

Comment by Ardis Parshall — December 4, 2009 @ 3:15 pm

7. “for people like you and me, older than dirt”

Mark B., um, I can’t be sure, but I think Ardis is trying to pick a fight with you.

For the record, this younger than dirt [clears throat] reader would love a Trail Builder t-shirt, too.

Comment by Hunter — December 4, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

8. I know a bunch of graphic artists–one of whom has a blog in this neighborhood. I’ll have to get him to gin up a design.

As to the symbols, Ardis, I remember clearly what that hatchet symbolized–the inclination of 9-year-old boys to destroy anything within reach. :-)

Comment by Mark B. — December 4, 2009 @ 3:39 pm

9. I don’t know what the age requirements are, but after spending the afternoon decorating the Christmas tree with my five children, I’m certainly feeling “as old as dirt.”

It’s a cool t-shirt, and I’d certainly purchase a few for my boys. Any copyright/trademark/whatever issues involved with using the design? (Where’s a lawyer when you need one!?)

Comment by Researcher — December 4, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

10. I just searched the PTO database, and there’s no registered mark that includes the word “Trailbuilder.” I’ve never done enough trademark work to justify learning how to do design searches, but if the mark had been registered it would have included the name, so I think it’s safe to assume that the Church did not register the mark.

Any common law rights in the mark would have been limited to the market where the goods were sold, so it would likely have been only the Mormon Corridor–and maybe a few stray places elsewhere. And those rights have likely been abandoned–when was the last time that name and those symbols were used by the Church? 1970?

Besides, think how fun it would be to get a “cease and desist” letter from 50 East North Temple Street! Go to it Ardis–time to crank up production!

As to your other question, if you’ve got children young enough to tire you out decorating a Christmas tree, you are by definition not as old as dirt!

Comment by Mark B. — December 4, 2009 @ 9:04 pm

11. I like the idea of a Keepa store. :)

Comment by m&m — December 5, 2009 @ 1:02 am

12. Yes, I want a shirt with the “Chicken of God” on it.

Comment by Clark — December 5, 2009 @ 12:25 pm

13. Goodness! That’s quite a legal opinion, Ardis. Sounds like it’s time to forge ahead!

Comment by Researcher — December 5, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

14. I’ll do a post with a title referring to a store, with ideas that have been proposed, probably next week (right now I’m talking with a few other bloggers with stores to take advantage of their experience). Clark’s “Hen of God” t-shirt definitely will be there. Probably also the option of printing posters (various sizes) of the “O, My Father” illustrations, maybe some of the other art posts. Mina suggests calendars, too, with the art posts or magazine covers.

Somehow I think the “Hen of God” is going to be popular …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 5, 2009 @ 3:23 pm

15. Can you make it in time for the Christmas rush?

Comment by Eric Boysen — December 6, 2009 @ 2:21 am