Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Sweet!: Good News about Between-Meal Snacks

Sweet!: Good News about Between-Meal Snacks

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 17, 2009

There is so much good news here about the health benefits of sugar that I hardly know where to start! — From 1952:

1. Awesome.

Clearly this message has really taken root with the youth of America in the last 60 years.

Comment by Geoff J — November 17, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

2. Those of us born back in the first half of the 1950s were simply morally superior to those who came later. We could eat all that sugar and get away with it.

Comment by Mark B. — November 17, 2009 @ 3:46 pm

3. Is that from the Improvement Era, Ardis?

Comment by Reed Russell — November 17, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

4. Yeah, it’s the Era, Reed. (That’s my excuse to post this ongoing binge of sugar ads here.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 17, 2009 @ 4:06 pm

5. When was it that the Church divested itself of its sugar holdings?

Actually, the commercial availability of sugar literally fueled the industrial revolution. The wide available of foodstuffs in post-war America, however, rendered that a bit anachronistic.

Comment by J. Stapley — November 17, 2009 @ 6:38 pm

6. I always knew it! Pass the cake & cookies.

Comment by Dovie — November 17, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

7. This explains so much about my ward potluck!

Comment by ESO — November 17, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

8. Maybe it’s a carry-over from WWII when it was rationed. but the insistence on “locally grown” U&I (Utah and Idaho) gives away the true motive, I think (as #5 alluded to.)

A quick internet search reveals that sugar consumption per person has increased from 90 lbs/year in 1950 to 160 lbs/yr in 2000. And that doesn’t count the rise in other sweeteners such as corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.

But imagine kids running around on sugar highs and no TV to put them down in front of. Beautiful!

Comment by Clark — November 17, 2009 @ 9:36 pm

9. Love it, Ardis – but I’m not showing this post to my kids!!

Comment by Ray — November 17, 2009 @ 9:50 pm

10. Ardis, I think you are addicted to these sugar ads you keep posting. Either that, or it is your subtle way to improve the economy by having us buy candy and sweets.

Comment by Maurine — November 17, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

11. I love running gags, Maurine. Or maybe I’m just sweet.

No, no, it must be that first thing.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 17, 2009 @ 10:33 pm

12. Maurine: Ardis owns stock in the Crest toothpaste company.

Comment by Hunter — November 17, 2009 @ 11:32 pm

13. Shshhhhhhhh!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 18, 2009 @ 3:25 am

14. My grandmother was raising her children during this decade. She must have made tens of thousands of cookies during her lifetime. She was such a wonderful mother and grandmother, but I do wonder if her now-middle-aged children are not suffering the health problems of the post-WWII excess of sugar and other processed foods. (Even among those born in the first half of the 1950s!)

Comment by Researcher — November 18, 2009 @ 6:55 am

15. I might need to print and frame and hang this in my kitchen, it is that great.

Comment by Dovie — November 18, 2009 @ 9:25 am

16. Haha!!! This really does explain a lot about Mormon cuisine, doesn’t it?

Who would think that kids are in need of “extra energy”?

Comment by sister blah 2 — November 18, 2009 @ 9:32 am