Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Wilford Woodruff’s First Mission, part 8 (Graphic History)

Wilford Woodruff’s First Mission, part 8 (Graphic History)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 01, 2009

Adapted from Leaves from My Journal, by Wilford Woodruff; artwork by Douglas Johnson.

to be continued …

Can’t wait to see what happens next? Check out Bruce Crow’s post on Wilford Woodruff’s Tennessee mission which picks up where this chapter of the graphic novel leaves off.

Text from Leaves from My Journal

… Father Hubbel came to see us, and invited us to make our home with him while we stayed in the place. We did so, and labored for him some three weeks with our axes, clearing land, while we were waiting to see the salvation of God.

I was commanded of the Lord by the Holy Ghost to go and warn Mr. Akeman to repent of his wickedness.

I did so, and each time he railed against me, and the last time he ordered me out of his house. When I went out he followed me and was very angry. When he came up to me, about eight rods from the house, he fell dead at my feet, turned black and swelled up, as I saw the serpents do in my dream. His family, as well as ourselves, felt it was the judgment of God upon him. I preached his funeral sermon.

Many of the mob died suddenly.

We stayed about two weeks after Akeman’s death and preached, baptized Mr. Hubbel and his wife, and then continued on our journey.

We concluded to go down Arkansas river and cross into Tennessee. We could not get passage on the boat, because of the low water …

Wilford Woodruff’s First Mission (Graphic History) part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8, part 9, part 10, part 11, part 12, part 13, part 14, part 15, part 16, part 17, part 18

1. Wow! This is pretty wild!. I can’t wait to look at Bruce’s post on WW’s mission in TN.

Comment by Steve C. — November 1, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

2. Yeah, we passed through Arkansas pretty quickly, it feels, but a mob and a pair of converts make it memorable. I wonder what happened to the Hubbels?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 1, 2009 @ 3:25 pm

3. Looks like I got ahead of myself. The graphic history says they are going to cross the river into Tennesse, but Wilford Woodruff doesn’t actually cross the Mississippi until after his companion, Elder Brown, leaves him in a swamp. We are still a couple installments away from that.

Comment by Bruce Crow — November 1, 2009 @ 3:35 pm

4. Aw, so there won’t be a lot of suspense over what comes next — it isn’t like people couldn’t have Googled Leaves from My Journal and read ahead anyway! I have a feeling that people who like either Bruce’s work or the cartoons here will read both.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 1, 2009 @ 3:53 pm

5. Last week I spent a few minutes trying to look up the Hubbels. Couldn’t find anything. There’s no one of that name (or any variation thereof) in the Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel database.

I just spent a few more minutes attempting to look them up, including in the Latter Day Saints Southern Star (both volumes). Nothing in the Southern Star, and although “Hubbel” and “Arkansas” results in several possibilities in various genealogical databases, none of them look to be quite old enough to be called “Father” when WW was on his mission.

Bottom line: interesting question with no simple answer.

Anyone else like to try? :-)

Comment by Researcher — November 1, 2009 @ 6:49 pm

6. The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture spells the name “Hubble” and says that his first name was Jonathan.

Based on that and some other hunting, I think this Jonathan, who came from Cape Girardeau, Missouri to Yell Co., Arkansas is probably our man. His wife’s name is unknown. Of course.

Do they show up under that spelling in your sources, Researcher?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 1, 2009 @ 7:12 pm

7. That’s interesting about the Hubbles (or Hubbels). Yell county isn’t too far away from me. Although at the time the counties were much larger and have since been carved up. So it’s possible that the Hubbles still lived a distance from me.

I find this very interesting since it relates to the beginnings of the Church in my neck of the woods. Thanks for these posts.

Comment by Steve C. — November 1, 2009 @ 11:09 pm

8. According to Wilford Woodruff’s biography, “Things in Heaven and Earth” by Thomas G. Alexander, the apostate brother Akeman, collapsed and died on February 14, 1835, shortly after receiving Wilford Woodruff’s rebuke for his apostacy. The incident is described on pages 39 & 40. President Woodruff describes the Akeman home as being filled with ‘devils’ but as he walked away from the residence he reached a point where he felt he was beyond their influence. As Akeman followed him berating him and the Church, he collapsed and died at the same point where President Woodruff felt he free of the evil atmosphere. President Woodruff also noted that this occurred while Akeman’s whole family was at home because the children came out of the house and saw that their father had died. Strange that this incident did not merit a separate panel.

Comment by Velikiye Kniaz — November 10, 2009 @ 1:06 pm

9. Possibly too gruesome for a children’s magazine?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 10, 2009 @ 1:09 pm