Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Advent 2009: Introduction

Advent 2009: Introduction

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 01, 2009

Last year Keepa celebrated Christmas with daily postings of seasonal cover art from past LDS magazines (listed in the Topical Guide under “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”). This year we’re going to post old sheet music for seasonal songs or melodies by LDS composers and/or poets.

But in order to give time for musicians to learn and actually use these pieces, should any seem worthwhile, they will appear on a daily basis throughout November rather than December.

I don’t have the skills to know whether these pieces are any good. I’d love to hear if you use any of them for a Christmas performance, or even if you just play one at home.

Merry Christmas.

1. A great idea, Ardis, I’ve forwarded the first one to our ward music chair as I heard her discussing the Christmas Eve carol service with the bishop today.

Comment by Alison — November 1, 2009 @ 2:58 pm

2. Cool! I hope there will be at least a few that strike her fancy.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 1, 2009 @ 3:26 pm

3. Fun fun fun! I just sent an email to two of my choir-leading friends so they can watch your series. I will be watching it, too — love music! I’m excited about this. Great idea.

Comment by m&m — November 2, 2009 @ 12:24 am

4. Thanks for this explanation, Ardis. I saw the first Advent posting late last week and wondered what the heck was going on with an Advent post so early?!? But now I see this “Advent 2009: Introduction” and it all makes sense now. Thanks.

I really look forward to seeing the new pieces. I just wish I had the technological know-how to post recordings of these pieces online somewhere.

Comment by Hunter — November 2, 2009 @ 11:10 am

5. Hunter, do you have any way of making a digital recording? If you do, I can show you how to post them. That would be sooo cool.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 2, 2009 @ 11:17 am

6. Cool. I will email you for more specifics.

Comment by Hunter — November 2, 2009 @ 11:22 am

7. That sounds like a fun project! Undoubtedly some of the selections will be good for working into organ prelude or postlude music for December.

Comment by Researcher — November 2, 2009 @ 11:44 am