Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The “Whole Armor of God” — Is This What They Mean?

The “Whole Armor of God” — Is This What They Mean?

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 28, 2009

The Primary used to put on elaborate annual “festivals” on a stake basis — lots of singing and dancing, costumes, and speaking parts. I haven’t figured out how frogs, toadstools, Roman guards, and the Greek characters of Apollo, Persephone, and Ceres all fit together in 1937’s “blossom festival,” but apparently they did — because in several issues of the Children’s Friend early that year, photographs of children from the Grant Stake furnished models for other stakes to design their costumes.

I find the photograph of “Roman Guard” to be the most interesting. Or, rather, the name under the photograph:

That’s 11-year-old Neal A. Maxwell, then of the East Mill Creek Ward Primary, and later of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles.

1. ha!! That is all.

Comment by sister blah 2 — October 28, 2009 @ 3:54 pm

2. Aww, how cute…

Comment by Researcher — October 28, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

3. I know of a college yearbook that shows a current apostle wearing a grass skirt.

Comment by Left Field — October 28, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

4. Thanks, Ardis. This lesson is coming up in Gospel Doctrine.

Great lead-in!

Comment by Reed Russell — October 28, 2009 @ 7:15 pm

5. I know his daughter-in-law–I’ll have to send her a link!

(It’s hard to imagine that just eight years later, with no “armor” but a helmet–cotton, even dyed olive drab, doesn’t provide much protection, that “little boy” was in the U.S. Army, fighting on Okinawa. No wonder mothers worry so when their boys go to war.)

Comment by Mark B. — October 28, 2009 @ 8:36 pm

6. I can totally see him in there!

Comment by Michelle Glauser — October 29, 2009 @ 3:47 am

7. What a find! Thanks for sharing. Elder Maxwell is, and always will be, one of my all-time favorites.

Comment by Clean Cut — October 29, 2009 @ 9:12 am

8. This is a great find. And what a great post, too. Thanks!

Comment by Hunter — November 2, 2009 @ 11:18 am