Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » For Laughs

For Laughs

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 21, 2009

If we’re going to ask the deacons to wear white shirts, can we also have a rule against dressing as shower curtains? (What, she thought it was an early Halloween? Scarlett O’Hara took all the other curtains in the house already?)

From the Improvement Era of 1955:

1. But look how happy she is–although that may just be the toilet paper.

Comment by Mark B. — October 21, 2009 @ 1:08 pm

2. I guess we, as a society, always wanted to perceive a woman with a 2 inch waist… that has never changed.

Comment by Dan — October 21, 2009 @ 1:17 pm

3. I want colored toilet paper!

Comment by kew — October 21, 2009 @ 1:42 pm

4. Colored toilet paper. Sorry, just can’t get behind that idea.

So why is this being advertised to teens? Did they really make the TP purchase decisions in the household? Or was the Era for adults too?

Comment by sister blah 2 — October 21, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

5. But it should be white toilet paper. Only white is OK.

Comment by Bruce Crow — October 21, 2009 @ 1:52 pm

6. Gah!

Comment by Ben Pratt — October 21, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

7. Wow — look at those brass rings around her waist! You’re right, Ardis, it actually IS a shower curtain! Oh my.

(Yellow toilet paper?! Isn’t that kinda like yellow snow?)

Comment by Hunter — October 21, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

8. we have coloured toilet paper- a choice of pink, blue, yellow or green usually, along with the regulation white. Don’t you have coloured loo roll?

Comment by Anne (U.K) — October 21, 2009 @ 2:38 pm

9. SB2, by this time, the Era had become chiefly for adults. They created a new department, the Era of Youth, in the early 1960s to bring back something aimed at younger people.

Anybody too young to have lived with colored toilet paper needs to find someone of the same sex older enough to have used it *who*was*allergic*to*the*dyes* for a candid talk about why the product was discontinued and why you don’t want it revived.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 21, 2009 @ 2:42 pm

10. This thread could end up in the toilet really fast, if we’re not careful.

Comment by Mark B. — October 21, 2009 @ 2:44 pm

11. In most homes, it’s a short walk from the shower to the toilet, Mark. You’re right.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 21, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

12. Boy, Ardis, I must have lived in an underprivileged household. I was born in 1952, and I don’t remember colored toilet paper. Heck, from 1955, I don’t remember white toilet paper. But you are right—that dress is obviously a shower curtain, complete with rings. It would be good in the rain, but probably hot in the summer.

Comment by kevinf — October 21, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

13. re: #12 i’m a little worried that kevinf doesn’t remember colored toilet paper OR white toilet paper. maybe he used the magazine. 8-O

carol burnett as scarlett turning the draperies into a dress was a defining life moment for me. =)

Comment by ellen — October 21, 2009 @ 3:00 pm

14. One wonder if that skirt design ever actually existed. The “continental-style” overcoat was popular during the mid-50’s and featured a lot of appended hardware. Maybe that was the artist’s inspiration for this marvelous sartorial creation. The model certainly looks very pleased — perhaps because she is wearing something truly one of a kind, and hasn’t noticed any allergic reaction setting in quite yet.

This quite naturally leads to reflection on how Catherine Hurst, Aretta Young or Frances M. Richards, whose wisdom has previously been considered on Keepa, would have considered a young LDS woman contemplating wearing the fashion this young woman models or using the tinted Zee tissue she seems to be causing to levitate with the interesting gesture of her right hand and arm.

Comment by S. Taylor — October 21, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

15. S. Taylor For The Win!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 21, 2009 @ 4:52 pm

16. I’m totally going to make a dress like that.

Comment by Tracy M — October 21, 2009 @ 8:38 pm

17. For the longest time I thought you were referring to the wonder-bread print of her blouse as the shower curtain. Took me a while to see the rings attached to the belt around her waist. I’m slow like that.

Comment by Mommie Dearest — October 22, 2009 @ 2:58 am

18. It was worth waiting till you saw it, though, no? :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 22, 2009 @ 7:56 am

19. Taking the time to look around at keepa is always worth it.

Comment by Mommie Dearest — October 22, 2009 @ 2:59 pm

20. :) Thanks, Mommie Dearest.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 22, 2009 @ 3:03 pm

21. When I was on my mission, my first landlady in New Jersey insisted that we only buy pink toilet paper to match the decor of the bathroom. She never went in there, but I guess she just couldn’t stand the thought that some room in her house might not be properly color coordinated.

Comment by Left Field — October 22, 2009 @ 8:53 pm