Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Advertisement: Today I Am a Man

Advertisement: Today I Am a Man

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 20, 2009

Well, not me, but one of our good friends:

1. Are you trying to send a hint?

Comment by Ben — October 20, 2009 @ 6:55 am

2. This advertisement suggests the new name was “The Instructor: Formerly The Juvenile Instructor.” Am I reading that right?

Comment by Christopher — October 20, 2009 @ 7:00 am

3. Ben, the magazine was then something like 60 or 70 years old — isn’t it time it grew up? (When you-all have been around that long, we’ll talk about updating your name then!)

That’s how I read it, Christopher. Kind of unwieldy, no? Next one to the library should check to see exactly what did appear on the 1930 covers.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 20, 2009 @ 7:53 am

4. I guess The Instructor is a little better than what I was thinking–The Latter-day Saint Journal formerly known as the Juvenile Instructor.

Comment by Steve C. — October 20, 2009 @ 7:59 am

5. Hmm, think what we might have, Steve, had there still been a Relief Society Magazine with an Enrichment insert, which would have to be renamed to The Relief Society Magazine but Not THE Relief Society Magazine.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 20, 2009 @ 8:14 am

6. Ardis, with that title I thought we were going to get a bar mitzvah speech.

Comment by Alison — October 20, 2009 @ 9:44 am

7. Mozel tov!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 20, 2009 @ 9:50 am

8. Apparently, the experiment in binding your juveniles didn’t work out all that well. Now we’re binding Instructors? Seems harder, and less satisfying. But there are, according to this ad, a lot fewer of them, so I guess it might all work out in the end.

Comment by kevinf — October 20, 2009 @ 9:56 am

9. Well, now it’s time to put away childish things.

Does that mean no more smart alecky comments?

Comment by Mark B. — October 20, 2009 @ 10:14 am

10. kevinf, sometime, somewhere, there must have been a Sunday School class of rowdy boys who did exactly that …

Mark, is the Pope Buddhist?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 20, 2009 @ 10:21 am

11. I laughed out loud with that first comment.

Comment by J. Stapley — October 20, 2009 @ 11:38 am

12. [...] [1] We hope we’ve also matured a bit, too, though that seems unlikely. We certainly have no plans at the moment to drop the Juvenile from our blog’s title, as our namesake did years ago. [...]

Pingback by Juvenile Instructor » The Juvenile Instructor Turns 2 — October 26, 2009 @ 11:31 am