Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Costumes, We’ve Got Costumes, 1956

Costumes, We’ve Got Costumes, 1956

By: Ardis E. Parshall - August 30, 2009

Keepa’ninny Clark sends in this photo of an Idaho Falls stake primary play on the Book of Mormon, circa 1956. (What’s your connection to the group, Clark?)

The girls are oh, so sweetly modest, in 1956 or 2009. The boys are … adorable.

1. Um the boy on the left must have felt bad being left out of the shirtless club. Especially when cursed with that get up.

Comment by JonW — August 30, 2009 @ 7:16 pm

2. yeah, but JonW, look at the ermine sewn on his stole. there’s some rank going on there! =)

Comment by ellen — August 30, 2009 @ 7:34 pm

3. Them boys be tanned… my guess is shirtless was the summer norm.

Comment by Coffinberry — August 30, 2009 @ 8:36 pm

4. Poor guy (sitting on the ground) looks like he’s wearing eye makeup. Ha!

I would bet money that the shirtless ones were playing “savage” Lamanite types, while the kid who’s more covered up is one of the more “enlightened” Nephite-types . . .

(Speaking of which, having to wear a shirt and tie six days out of seven, I think I’d prefer a little more “savage” in my own life.)

Comment by Hunter — August 30, 2009 @ 10:33 pm

5. The shirt-clad, ermine-stole boy on the left is my father. He corrects me that this was not Book of Mormon related, but was a local version of “The Ten Commandments” The seated kid has egypian eye make-up (think Yul Brenner).

Comment by Clark — August 31, 2009 @ 9:08 am

6. Well, Clark, that explains why there are girls in the picture — had this been a Book of Mormon play, there wouldn’t have been roles for the girls …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 31, 2009 @ 9:28 am

7. [stirring pot]

You’re incorrect, Ardis! There are plenty of important women characters in the Book of Mormon. There’s the wife of Nephi, and the wife of Laman, and the wife of what’s-his-name . . . and need I go on?

Comment by Hunter — August 31, 2009 @ 10:10 am

8. Consider the pot stirred, Hunter! And don’t forget the harlots and servant girls and murmurers and other strong female role models.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 31, 2009 @ 10:16 am

9. I distinctly remember wearing similar outfits in a Primary production circa 1982, where I had the priviledge to portray another strong female role model from the scriptures, Potiphar’s wife.

Comment by bekah — August 31, 2009 @ 8:00 pm