Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Charade Challenge, 2009

Charade Challenge, 2009

By: Coffinberry - August 25, 2009

Keepa’ninny Coffinberry constructed this thoroughly Mormon-themed charade (sorry, Hunter!) along the lines of the puzzles that appeared in the late 19th century Juvenile Instructor.

The solution has 15 letters; solving the six clues will help you find the letters to plug into the solution. (Numbers refer to the order in which letters appear in the 15-letter solution: if you can guess clue “a,” then you’ll know what letters to write in the 4th, 12th, 13th, and 6th spaces on the solution.)

As usual, please solve only one or two letters so that readers coming later can still play along.

This riddle has fifteen letters meaning a place where (at the moment, many) LDS people go to make connections.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

a. You might find eggs on a 4-12-13-6.

b. When a high councilor speaks, you might need to stifle a 9-5-3-1.

c. Making pie is not hard, but scooping a dish of ice cream is 2-5-10-7-11-13.

d. Nephi worries that Satan wants to grasp us with his awful 14-15-5-7-1-10.

e. Enter to 8-2-12-13-1, go forth to serve.

f. 10-6-7-8-2 is what you do when you think of Keepapitchinin!

1. I’ll start out with the first letter of the first clue–F.

Comment by Last Lemming — August 25, 2009 @ 8:10 am

2. 14-C

Comment by Kaimi — August 25, 2009 @ 8:17 am

3. Right. So if anybody is still unsure how to play, we know that the solution will be:

1-2-3-F-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-C-15

and that the answer to clue “a” is F-12-13-6, etc.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2009 @ 8:19 am

4. 12 = 5

Do I solve the puzzle here or email it to someone?

[Edited: 12 = A, according to queuno's email]

Comment by queuno — August 25, 2009 @ 8:26 am

5. And 2 = 11

[Edited: Oh, duh, I just got your two clever answers. But I have to translate them to letters so that I can plug them into the solution.]

Comment by queuno — August 25, 2009 @ 8:29 am

6. Pretty sure we’ve got 9=Y and 5=A. Oooh! Oooh! I know what the answer is!

Comment by Michelle Glauser — August 25, 2009 @ 8:35 am

7. queuno emailed the full solution, and it looks like Michelle has it solved, too. So we have —

1-E-3-F-A-6-7-8-Y-10-E-A-13-C-15

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2009 @ 8:42 am

8. 6=M

Comment by Tamary — August 25, 2009 @ 8:45 am

9. Thank you, dear Ardis, for explaining this game at every turn. A certain slow one here at Keepapitchinin [clears throat} thanks you. I’m pleased to say that, finally …. FINALLY, I done figgered it out.

Drum roll, please:

16 = H

Comment by Hunter — August 25, 2009 @ 9:36 am

10. Can I buy a vowel, Vanna?

Comment by Mark B. — August 25, 2009 @ 9:40 am

11. (I don’t really need to–I just felt like saying that!)

Comment by Mark B. — August 25, 2009 @ 9:41 am

12. By George, I think Tamary and Hunter have got it (… except that there are only 15 letters, Hunter :) )! Yes, Mark B., you may buy a vowel — I.

1-E-3-F-A-M-I-8-Y-10-E-A-13-C-15

I guessed that, Mark, but now you owe me $$.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2009 @ 9:43 am

13. 15 is H, and I have the solution!

Comment by Tatiana — August 25, 2009 @ 10:12 am

14. Oh, I goofed — bolded Hunter’s H but didn’t actually change the number to a letter — sorry.

So Tatiana has it, too. Now we’ll see who Keepa’s genealogists are!

1-E-3-F-A-M-I-8-Y-10-E-A-13-C-H

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2009 @ 10:25 am

15. 10 = S!

It’s not my fault it took me so long, am just home from work!

Comment by Anne (U.K) — August 25, 2009 @ 11:41 am

16. We saved it for you, Anne!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2009 @ 12:45 pm

17. As long as that BYU slogan was used, how about some history about where it came from?

As far as I know, it just showed up one day at the campus entrance at 12th North and Canyon Road.

Comment by Mark B. — August 25, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

18. This was fun.

Comment by Ugly Mahana — August 25, 2009 @ 1:32 pm

19. 1-E-3-F-A-M-I-8-Y-S-E-A-13-C-H

That must be a solvable question, Mark — I’ll get the elves right on it and get back to you.

Glad you liked it, UgMa. I think Coffinberry’s use of Mormonish clues really added to the fun.

That, and learning that Hunter can’t count!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

20. You’re very welcome for the entertainment.

Comment by Hunter — August 25, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

21. Gee whiz… I spend the day training a new law clerk and I miss all the fun!

Thanks for publishing it, Ardis. Glad y’all enjoyed it.

Comment by Coffinberry — August 25, 2009 @ 4:07 pm

22. Oh, I wondered where you were, Coffinberry. We did have fun, and I think everybody who has contributed a letter must have solved the final puzzle, whether or not we’ve actually solved it here. Unless someone wants to ask about a particular clue, I’ll leave it open so that anybody else who comes late to the party can still play if they want to.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

23. Hey, I figured it out just now, and was able to check my answer by scrolling down. Actually, I read the original riddle and assumed I knew the answer immediately” BLOGGERNACLE. Then I realized I would have two blanks left at the end. Anyway, thanks for the great fun, Coffinberry! (My favorite clue was “Enter to Learn…”)

Comment by Clark — August 26, 2009 @ 5:17 pm