Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Every Movement Needs a Good Theme Song

Every Movement Needs a Good Theme Song

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 19, 2009

This song dates to 1875:

Hark! the sound goeth forth; ‘tis the good shepherd’s voice.
Ev’ry Saint who is wise will take heed and obey.
Let us prove we have wisdom and light, by our choice,
As we turn in good faith from our idols away.
Consecrating ourselves and our strength to the Lord,
With our means, and in fact, all that’s under our care,
And uniting together with joyful accord
In the Order of Zion, so charming and fair.

“Thy kingdom come” should be our prayer,
“The will be done” our constant care.
That we may all in chorus sing,
“We hail thee, Jesus Christ, our King.”

Let us love one another, and strive to be one
In our efforts to build up the Kingdom of God;
That His will may on earth and in heaven be done,
Then we’ll live without fear of the chastening rod.
We will beautify Zion, our homes we’ll adorn,
And we’ll cultivate freely choice flowers and fruits;
We’ll not muzzle the ox when he treads out the corn,
But with kindness control human beings and brutes.

“Thy kingdom come” should be our prayer,
“The will be done” our constant care.
That we may all in chorus sing,
“We hail thee, Jesus Christ, our King.”

Oh! how pleasant ‘twill be, when we’re joined heart and hand,
In our earnest endeavors for mutual good;
For then love, joy and peace will prevail o’er the land,
And the way to be happy be well understood.
and whenever we meet on occasions like this,
to give vent to our feelings, to God we’ll sing songs;
Realizing that he is the source of our bliss,
And our heartfelt thanksgiving unto Him belongs.

“Thy kingdom come” should be our prayer,
“The will be done” our constant care.
That we may all in chorus sing,
“We hail thee, Jesus Christ, our King.”

1. They didn’t make it easy to play by the beginner, like “Redeemer of Israel”…

Comment by queuno — May 19, 2009 @ 7:55 am

2. Wow, I really like this text a lot.

The music, not so much.

Comment by Hunter — May 19, 2009 @ 8:30 am

3. OK, maybe I should explain/defend my snarky comment. I like this text because it beautifully expresses the sentiment behind the United Order, but without using phrases or terms that might date it, or limit its application. (I half expected some references to Orderville or something.) Instead, the text deals with the timeless Christian virtues undergirding the United Order, and that beautifully.

The music, on the other hand, is a little dated. It uses the unfortunate, and now cliched, oom-pa-pa, oom-pa-pa to accompany this dignified text. Also, the melody partakes a little too much (for my taste) in the slip-sliding of chromatic passing tones (e.g., measure 6 “who is wise,” and measure 10 “we have”).

I suppose this could be a metaphor for the United Order itself: the sentiment behind the program was dignified and ennobling; the actual physical lay out and setting forth of the program, not so successful and lasting.

Comment by Hunter — May 19, 2009 @ 9:02 am

4. queuno and Hunter, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find another piece of music better suited to the words.

And Hunter, don’t worry so much about not loving every scrap from the past that I choose to post! It’s okay not to like something! (I do appreciate the explanation of why the music doesn’t work so well rather than just a “that stinks” kind of comment. You bring into focus what was for me just a vague feeling of “that doesn’t quite work.”)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 19, 2009 @ 11:10 am

5. Sorry, after a quick review of the meters section in our hymnal, it seems there are no suitable tune matches. Someone would have to search farther and wider. Or draft up something original.

Finding more suitable music FAIL.

Comment by Hunter — May 19, 2009 @ 12:13 pm

6. I noticed, with my limited musical understanding, the German Oktoberfest rhythms, and thought “This would be weird to sing in church”. It seems to go well with “In Munchen steht ein Hofbrauhaus, Eins Zwei, G’suffa”.

But I’m like Hunter in that the words are less specific to the time, and more universal than expected. Although I am still having visions of young children with red neckerchiefs standing in rows and singing this for Brigham Young or John Taylor.

Interesting find.

Comment by kevinf — May 19, 2009 @ 1:23 pm

7. The words are pretty neat. I like the way it ties the U/O with the Lord’s Prayer. I had never thought of such a connection.

Comment by Steve C. — May 19, 2009 @ 3:13 pm

8. I wasn’t saying I didn’t *like* the tune; I was just saying that it’s not particularly easy for the beginner to play…

Comment by queuno — May 21, 2009 @ 6:26 pm