Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1942

Latter-day Saint Images, 1942

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 17, 2009

There’s a war on, but you might not guess that from the smiles and the keep-on-keeping-on activities of LDS church members.

And while the baby boom hasn’t technically begun, you wouldn’t guess that from the crowds of children on display, either.

Fairbanks, Alaska

Edgehill Ward, Salt Lake City, Home Builders

Edgehill Ward, Salt Lake City

Douglas, Arizona, Spanish-Speaking

20th Ward, Salt Lake City
Primary Nursery

American Fork 4th Ward, Utah
Trail Builders

Tooele 3rd Ward, Utah
Trail Builders, with crafts they made to sell to raise money for ward building fund

Ogden, Utah, Home Builders

Stratford Ward, Salt Lake City
Seagull Girls with quilt made for Primary Children’s Hospital

Bern, Switzerland

London, England

Preston 6th Ward, Franklin Stake, Idaho
Boys’ Fair, displaying summer crafts

Preston 6th Ward, Franklin Stake, Idaho
Planting tulips to beautify chapel

Lincoln Ward, Idaho Falls Stake
Junior Ward Reunion Dinner

Anchorage, Alaska

Basel, Switzerland
Relief Society

Pocatello 5th Ward, Idaho, Primary

1. !942, that’s getting recent enough that some of the people in those pictures are still alive. I’m guessing that one of the men in that picture from Bern is the father of one of my mission companions.

Comment by Mark Brown — May 17, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

2. Strange, I don’t see any pictures from any branches in Germany.

I wonder if the chapel in the Basel, Switzerland, photo is the same one the branch/ward was using in 1986 when I had the pleasure of visiting.

Comment by Steve C. — May 17, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

3. I love the Bern Switzerland photo. The little children on the front row look like pictures of my two brothers’ Primary classes. They would have been about the same age. Their faces are priceless.

Comment by Maurine — May 18, 2009 @ 12:07 am

4. Those Preston Idaho 6th Ward photos have some faces that look familiar. The boys are close to my age in 1942. I was in the First Ward. I think I can see Dave McClun and one of the Nuffer boys, but the pic is too small and too low-res to be sure. In the earlier days, Preston was divided into four wards, with the four quadrants of the town providing the boundaries. The crossing of Main and Oneida streets was a “Four Corners” where I guess we could have stood in all the wards at once but one might have gotten run over by a team of big Percheron work horses pulling a milk wagon. As the town expanded, a 5th (east of town and called “Egypt” for some now-obscure reason); and 6th, to the south. A 7th was added and the stake divided into Franklin and Oneida a few years after the 6th ward photos taken.

Thanks for this, Ardis.

Comment by Curt A. — May 18, 2009 @ 7:23 am

5. That 20th Ward Primary room looks mighty familiar – I’m pretty sure that’s my Relief Society room now. Fun to see it from 1942! And I was having the same thoughts about the Preston photos – probably lots of those kids are still alive, and I bet some of my family are in them. Three of my grandparents were raised in Preston, but I don’t know what wards they were in. Curt, it sounds like you may have known at least one of the families, the Nuffers!

Great stuff, as usual, Ardis! Thanks!

Comment by Amy Nuffer — May 19, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

6. With photos as recent as these, I half expect to see my parents in one. Not this time, though.

Pretty cool.

Comment by Bruce Crow — May 19, 2009 @ 3:37 pm

7. I am sure I knew many of them. As to Nuffers, I remember Edwin and Frank. Nuffers owned a house at the top of the Creamery Hollow hill and we used to sleigh ride down the hill (steep and icy) from the top of their lane. This was back during the second “Little Ice Age” when snow squeaked when you walked on it with “galoshes”.

Comment by Curt A. — May 19, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

8. Edwin and Frank must have been my grandfather’s cousins – his name is Stan, and I think that branch of the family moved to Oregon sometime pre-1945. The other families are the Kerrs and Johnsons, although they didn’t live right in town. What a great story about sledding! We have our occasional family reunions up at that house I think. Still has a large orchard too!

Comment by Amy Nuffer — May 19, 2009 @ 4:18 pm

9. I have family that I’m sure is in the Bern Switzerland photo. (I have a gold and green ball photo from Bern around the same era.) Is there a way to get a higher-resolution scan of that photo?

Comment by Clark — May 21, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

10. I’m afraid not, Clark. These are all photos that were printed in church magazines, on cheap newsprint-like paper, with the halftone (dot) process. Most of them were printed much smaller — sometimes in postage-stamp sizes — than they appear here. I’ll send you the jpeg of the Bern photo in case you can manipulate it in some way that brings it into better focus, but I don’t know how to get a better scan using the materials available to me.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 21, 2009 @ 5:59 pm

11. Ardis,
    In the Anchorage branch picture that’s my mother (Alta Tippets) in the center holding yours truly…could I request a jpeg of it (it’s not one that I have). Was it in the Relief Society Magazine? John

Comment by John Tippets — August 29, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

12. Hooray! I’m always so pleased when a reader makes a personal connection to a post here!

I’ve sent the jpeg to John (remember, everybody, whether you comment regularly or not, if you ever want a jpeg of any of the post illustrations for your personal use, just ask).

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 29, 2009 @ 6:28 pm

13. That’s neat, John. Can you identify anyone else in the photo?

Comment by Jared T. — August 29, 2009 @ 7:34 pm