Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » It’s Only Going to Get Worse, My Friends

It’s Only Going to Get Worse, My Friends

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 12, 2009

Scene at the Logan Temple, 28 May 1919:

1. Of course, now temples are built surrounded by beautiful acres of asphalt, all neatly laid out with white lines and arrows and yellow and white painted curbs.

Which makes it all better.

Comment by Mark B. — May 12, 2009 @ 6:10 am

2. I hope not.

Comment by Howard — May 12, 2009 @ 7:22 am

3. I thought the car park at Logan was all right!

Comment by Alison — May 12, 2009 @ 9:53 am

4. I believe the length of time per session has also been reduced significantly since the photo was taken. (Some reader here I’m sure will know…) I know efficiency isn’t a primary goal in temple work, but halfing the time required effectively doubles the parking, right?

Comment by Clark — May 12, 2009 @ 2:25 pm

5. Do you mean the evil automobile is only going to become more and more pervasive? I fear that you’re right. =)

Comment by Tatiana — May 12, 2009 @ 3:11 pm

6. Is Alison a Brit? Or have we Yankees starting calling parking lots “car parks”? :-)

Let’s face it folks, there are few things that man has made that are uglier than acres and acres of asphalt.

Comment by Mark B. — May 12, 2009 @ 5:01 pm

7. The small temples are really bad about the car/parking lots. There is hardly any grass or landscaping around them.

Comment by Steve C. — May 12, 2009 @ 7:52 pm

8. I have a book on the Manti Temple that shows what it calls a “beautification” project north of the temple that was undertaken in the 1980s. The before picture shows beautiful and colorful native vegetation with colors nicely complementing the oolitic limestone of the temple. The after photograph shows an anemic-looking lawn with scattered cultivated saplings. The Manti Temple was designed to fit beautifully into the natural hillside. Who decided that it had to be completely surrounded by grass?

Comment by Left Field — May 12, 2009 @ 8:07 pm

9. I’ll tell you who decided it. The same person who decided our chapels need to be surrounded by the same grass.

The DC Temple thankfully was spared the grass.

Comment by BruceCrow — May 13, 2009 @ 4:58 pm

10. Mark B, I’m British and proud of it ;-)

And can I just say that if you ever visit the London Temple, there’s hardly any of what you folks quaintly call “blacktop” – just acres and acres of beautiful parkland. Click here https://www.lds.org.uk/virtual_tour.php for a glimpse.

Comment by Alison — May 13, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

11. Alison:

I agree with you. The London temple grounds are some of the prettiest I’ve seen. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Comment by Steve C — May 14, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

12. Alison

Glad to hear that! When my great-grandfather left Hertfordshire as a boy in 1852, there were no cars, and presumably no car parks either.

I’m just doing my small part to keep our two nations’ idioms from running together–how else do we stay true to Bernard Shaw’s quip that we’re two countries separated by a common language?

It’s been nearly 39 years since I was last at the London Temple, so I hope you’ll forgive me if my memory is a little rusty! But I’m glad to hear that it’s been spared too many nearby parking lots. Or car parks. :-)

Comment by Mark B. — May 14, 2009 @ 4:21 pm