Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1925

Latter-day Saint Images, 1925

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 19, 2009

It’s 1925, and Latter-day Saints around the world are gathering in front of their chapels, under nearby trees, and on picturesque hillsides. Enjoy another page from our extended family album –

Sacramento, California

Sydney, Australia

Ashurst, Arizona

Mothers of Lethbridge, Alberta

Ogden 12th Ward, Utah

Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii

Matthews Ward, Los Angeles Stake, California

1. The Lethbridge building is still standing, it’s the headquarters of the Red Cross in Lethbridge.

As for Mountain View, I don’t know about the status of that building, but there are probably a lot of members of my family in that picture. The ward currently has a gigantic building beside Highway 5 on the way to Waterton Park, it’s kind of hard to miss.

Thanks for the pictures!

Comment by Brett — April 19, 2009 @ 6:39 am

2. That’s fun to hear, Brett — I really like knowing of personal connections to readers.

As always if anybody wants me to send a scan of any particular picture directly to you (they might be slightly clearer than shown here, but only barely), you only have to ask, either in a comment or by writing to Keepapitchinin AT aol DOT com.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 19, 2009 @ 8:15 am

3. Edinburgh, Scotland looks a little lacking in priesthood. Just think of all the duties they’d have to pull–conducting meetings, all the sacrament, etc., etc., etc. I wonder if those were the missionaries.

Ardis: This ward/branch photos have been very inspirational. Our branch has decided to take a branch picture for future generations. Last month we took a trip to the Memphis temple and took a group photo of those from the branch who participated. I can send the pictures to you and maybe in 80 years you can post them. :-)

Comment by Steve C. — April 19, 2009 @ 7:29 pm

4. I think Edinburgh might be the Relief Society only, with a couple of stray missionaries — the lack of children is just as suspicious as the lack of priesthood.

I’m so glad to know you like these pictures. Please do send your branch pictures. We won’t wait the full 80 years, if you think no one in the pictures would object. A reenactment of the LDS tradition is another link between past and present generations of Saints, and we can all celebrate that.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 19, 2009 @ 7:55 pm

5. I’m impressed by the self-discipline of those Primary age kids in Pocatello. Only a very few of them turned their heads to follow that dog walking across the front of the picture. This might say something about the novelty of having a picture taken at that time, because they were a lot more interested in the camera than in the dog.

Comment by Mark Brown — April 19, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

6. Now, that’s scrutinizing a picture, Mark! Fun.

BTW, I think that’s Heber J. Grant front and center in the San Francisco picture. I wonder if a building was being dedicated there that year?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 19, 2009 @ 8:42 pm

7. Yes, that could be HJG in the San Francisco picture. He was a tall man, 6’1″ if I remember right. I seem to remember that he lived in San Francisco for long stretches near the end of his life. Anyone read a bio recently? (Is there a bio?)

Comment by Researcher — April 20, 2009 @ 6:44 am

8. During the April 1925 General Conference, HJG noted:

Feb. 3, I left Salt Lake City for a visit to the California, the Central States, and the Southern States missions, first treading the sands of the Pacific, and a few days later the sands of the Atlantic. Meetings were held upon that trip, in Ocean Park, Oakland and San Francisco; also in New Orleans, in Jacksonville, Florida, and in Atlanta, Georgia….I have never enjoyed greater liberty in proclaiming the gospel than I did in some of the meetings on this last trip, lasting something over five weeks, visiting the California, the Central States and the Southern States missions.

Comment by Justin — April 20, 2009 @ 9:20 am

9. Justin, is there room in your display case for one more crown? You are fantastic. Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 20, 2009 @ 9:33 am

10. You’re welcome, Ardis.

Comment by Justin — April 20, 2009 @ 10:53 am

11. Ardis, keep the pictures coming. Justin, I am always amazed at what you dig up.

Comment by Maurine — April 20, 2009 @ 11:47 pm

12. Ardis, you were just waiting for someone to recognize and notice HJG in that San Fran photo, weren’t you? Makes me wonder if there aren’t other phantom personalities in prior posts. You know, a sort of “Where’s Waldo” Keepa style…

Great photos, and great fun. Thanks, all.

Comment by Hunter — April 21, 2009 @ 12:14 am

13. My aunt, Selma Bergstedt Seljaas is the first lady on the back row of the picture. My mother, Ruth Nilsen Bergstedt is the lady on the far right at the end of the back row. They were both born in 1903. I would guess this might be a picture of Primary or Sunday School children. It would have been taken before 1926 when my mother left Arendal. Thanks for posting this picture. I’ve never seen it bofore.

Comment by Sonja Anthony — June 1, 2009 @ 3:51 pm

14. How delightful, Sonja! I’m emailing you a scan of that picture, just in case you want to share it within anyone else.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 1, 2009 @ 4:35 pm

15. Thanks for the Matthews Ward picture.

Also, you will probably find HJG made several visits to Southern California back in the 1920s and 1930s. The Grant and/or several of the General Authorities had a retreat house in Santa Monica but I have not been able to determine where.

Comment by Lynn Anderson — September 18, 2011 @ 2:23 pm